People aggravate me

I get really aggravated at people who are WAY more functional, have friends, a booming social life and yet they claim to have SERIOUS anxiety/depression issues that "holds them back" and compare themselves to me. I understand that some people don't show their problems, but some of my friends and family members complain about issues, and I know they are full of it. And I feel like screaming, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA what it's like to have this level of anxiety that I have, NO IDEA. If you did, you would be as dysfuntional as I am, not even able to apply for a job or go out and be lonely all the time.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I get really aggravated at people who are WAY more functional, have friends, a booming social life and yet they claim to have SERIOUS anxiety/depression issues that "holds them back" and compare themselves to me. I understand that some people don't show their problems, but some of my friends and family members complain about issues, and I know they are full of it. And I feel like screaming, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA what it's like to have this level of anxiety that I have, NO IDEA. If you did, you would be as dysfuntional as I am, not even able to apply for a job or go out and be lonely all the time.
Yeah, I can dig it. At first I thought you might be talking about people on this forum (or others you might not know well personally), but then I read the friends and family bit.

What pisses me off is when people who don't have a serious problem with depression or anxiety think they understand because at some point in their lives they've felt sad or anxious. Then they can condescendingly tell you to 'deal with it'. That is far worse than them simply not understanding.

Richey

in their world they are probably suffering from what they know their world to be like. they may not kmow what its like to really struggle in all areas so they have nothing to compare it too ...but yes it is frustrating when you see people who seem to have it all and one little day of "thigns not going well" is claimed to be some awful depressive episode. try really struggling and feeling like an outkast for ten or so years then you'll know what pain is...

awkwardamanda

People like that just complain to get attention and sympathy. Personally, I hate attention and sympathy so I'd rather just keep any problems I have to myself. So real issues can go unnoticed while minor issues get blown out of proportion.

IamThisOne

I hate how people complain about being lonely when they obviously are not. People who have countless friends, been in dozens of relationships, and are constantly picking up their phone to answer the barrage of messages. They don't know what loneliness is.

I don't give a **** about other people's problems, especially when they exaggerate, I have enough to worry about with my own problems. ;)

dottie

People like that just complain to get attention and sympathy. Personally, I hate attention and sympathy so I'd rather just keep any problems I have to myself. So real issues can go unnoticed while minor issues get blown out of proportion.

yes. this.

I hate how people complain about being lonely when they obviously are not. People who have countless friends, been in dozens of relationships, and are constantly picking up their phone to answer the barrage of messages. They don't know what loneliness is.

I know, that always kills me. They'll have a great boyfriend/girlfriend, hang out with a different group of friends every night, everyone loves them...

Compain to me about being lonely when you're cell phone is dead for two weeks, and when you plug it in you don't have a single missed call or voicemail. Or when you don't have any social activity for a month or two, and have NEVER had a boyfriend in your 23 years of life. That's lonely.

harlseq

Generally the socially functional and well-adapted people who complain about social anxiety are just looking for attention. It's not so much that they actually have social anxiety as much as they are upset for whatever reason about their current social situation and are looking for something to comfort them during their temporary socio-emotional downtime.

Mr.Moon

Yep... People who are like that I call "attention wh0res". They are never satisfied with any amount of attention and just keep craving more in every single which way they can. Annoys the heck outta me.

Illusions

Reminds me of a girl I used to go to school with. She thought she had SA (blogged about it). I know I don't know the full story and shouldn't be so quick to judge, but to my knowledge she's had several boyfriends and was sociable back in school (she spoke to pretty much everyone in the class -- geez, if she was socially retarded, then what was I?!). Even today, she has plenty of friends. People like this have NO idea what it's really like and it infuriates me. SA my arse.

Rembrandt Broam

I can understand your frustration, but these things are relative. As you rightly say, they have no idea what is like to be you, so they will just use their own frame of reference when it comes to judging things like levels of anxiety. If they could see the world through your eyes for just one day, it would probably change their entire perspective, and they'd realise that their everyday "normal" levels of anxiety don't begin to compare with how you feel.