OVER 35's ONLY!!!! 'Does it get better?'

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remus

Staff member
Over 35s

Have your anxieties/ agoraphobia improved over the last 10 years? Do you run at the same level of anxiety now that you did when you were late teens/twenties/early 30s? Has anything improved? Do you feel you blend in more easily? Does it get better?

(I wanted to do a new version of the over 25s poll as it was so intriguing). It's an open poll so no cheating like last time thx.

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Unfortunately - for me at least - no, it doesn't get better. When I was in my late teens/early 20's I (naively) thought my problems would go with age. I thought to myself "I won't still blush easily when I'm in my 40's - that's just silly". Well guess what? I'm now 41 and still blush easily, not to mention having SA & avoidance issues ::(:

hidwell

As I have got older I understand why I am the way I am, but that does not make me any happier. Also my anxieties have changed as my circumstances change, my anxieties don't stop they just morph into new areas.

GraybeardGhost

It's become a lot worse for me. Ten years ago, I had a job and a relationship, and I regularly attended various substance abuse meetings, where I made a lot of friends. I could go anywhere I wanted, any time I wanted. Now I can hardly leave the house for fear of being seen by someone I know. I feel that even complete strangers must be horrified by my appearance, or are silently mocking me as I pass by. Ten years ago, I would never have had such thoughts.

Back in February, I was summoned for jury duty, a mere inconvenience for most people. I served on a jury in my early twenties, so it was nothing new to me. Ten years ago, I would have been annoyed, but I would have sailed through it without a problem. This time, however, I suffered two months of anxious anticipation and then had a severe panic attack in the courthouse and nearly passed out from fear. I managed to get through it, but I still have occasional flashbacks.

I'm currently experiencing a minor but potentially life-threatening medical crisis, which has already required one terrifying trip to the ER. I would have been cool and calm as could be a decade ago, but this time I was trembling with anxiety just sitting in the waiting room. When they took me back to the exam room and told me to get undressed, I really lost it. I've developed a bad case of body dysmorphia over the years, with a tendency to self-mutilate, so the idea of stripping off and donning one of those God-awful short-sleeved hospital gowns is just about my worst nightmare. I think I could handle nearly anything else they might do to me, but I'd almost rather die than take that dose of humiliation. Back in my twenties, it wouldn't have fazed me a bit. I'll have to deal with it eventually, I suppose, and probably in the next few days, because this thing isn't going to go away by itself, but I don't know how I'm going to face being exposed like that to a leering hoard of physically perfect medical types. I'm half-way hoping this thing will kill me first.

These are just two examples of how things have gotten worse for me. I could easily add a lot more, but I'll save the rest of my shame for another day. I can't say if I'm typical of the older members or not, but for me things definitely have not improved. I sincerely hope that's not the case for everyone.

coyote

after the age of 35 my anxieties got worse for a spell

but then things turned around, and actually got much better

i'm probably more comfortable with myself now at 48 than i've ever been

Lea

Banned
Certain things got a bit better, not my SA - it didn´t improve an inch, only I learned some coping mechanism and basically how to work around it. I also learned how to distinguish (by experience) what I can do (or at least a bit remotely) and what I shouldn´t even attempt.

But since my childhood and teenage years I developed OCD quite badly, and lost ability to smile. I have no idea how to turn this around. When I was young I was scared of growing old, I freaked out already at 20, now at 40 I am actually glad to have most part of my life behind. Everyone has to grow old once, (unless they die young), so whats the problem. I am not really afraid to die (only of the pain), because I don´t think I manage to get myself fixed in this life anyway.

bsammy

my anxiety has lessened thru the years but my avoidance is stronger than it has ever been..doesnt matter what i do, i seem to go back to my heavy introversion, avoidant ways..overall im more content with my life as i dont have to fit into social groups like i used to in my teens and twenties but what kinda stings now is the lost time, or wasted time...i think ive wasted many years due to anxiety or whatever else, many life experiences down the drain so that hurts...

JuiceB

I'm sorry to say but my anxieties have become worse. I wasn't always the way I am now but when I look back I do see that its been a steady build up. Is that making sense? I did grow up awkward and mostly alone but I wasn't aware of how different I was from the norm. These past years have been harder than most but I'm sure I have more issues than just SA.

Btw I'm not 35 yet. Friday is the day that I'm dreading.

bsammy

^^thats another point i must bring up..i think 'doing better' comes down to either taking an honest look at yourself and accepting yourself for who you are or trying to fight to be someone u are not..if u are able to accept yourself u will do far better than someone trying to fit into the normal social society that we live in..

dottie

ooops i answered this and i'm not over 35 yet. sorry. i'm in my thirties, though. it's the same.

Damn, this thread is depressing ::(:

People tell me all the time "It will get better" and "When you get to my age, you just don't give a s*** anymore". I knew that it obviously couldn't be true for everyone.

This just seems to confirm to me that it's best to get out while you're still young and not as weary, regretful, and broken-hearted as you could be with the passage of time.

bhn

^^thats another point i must bring up..i think 'doing better' comes down to either taking an honest look at yourself and accepting yourself for who you are or trying to fight to be someone u are not..if u are able to accept yourself u will do far better than someone trying to fit into the normal social society that we live in..

It's not easy to accept yourself for who you are when no one else does. I believe it may work for short periods of time, but eventually you'll want to try to fit in somewhere.

Remus

Staff member

People tell me all the time "It will get better" and "When you get to my age, you just don't give a s*** anymore". I knew that it obviously couldn't be true for everyone.

This just seems to confirm to me that it's best to get out while you're still young and not as weary, regretful, and broken-hearted as you could be with the passage of time.

There's not many members here over 35, I think that speaks volumes.

nightcrawler

People say that s*** to cheer you up, just like if you say you're still single they always say "don't worry...you'll find someone". I guess they mean well, but at the end of the day it's bs - unless you change things yourself. I'm not gonna sugar-coat...just givin it to you straight!

WeirdyMcGee

I like where this poll is going so far. ::eek::

My dad may have gotten worse with his agoraphobia but he's not as self-conscious or paranoid these days so he likes to tell me that it gets better, generally.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It's encouraging to see so many positive votes. However, I'm not so positive about getting better. It all seems so impossible at the moment. I feel stuck. I have noticed a minor improvement in some aspects, but I am still stuck.

bsammy

"Its not easy to accept yourself for who you are when no one else does"

bingo, u nailed it and this is what is most difficult..im very different from the normal person and this causes anxiety and later depression as i feel like an alien being alot of the time..now im aware of disorders and whatnot but back when i was growing up i had no clue what was wrong with me but i knew it was something quite bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.