Online Dating???

B

Beatrice

So, has anyone here ever tried any form of online dating? I just signed up for one of the free ones, just out of curiosity to see what it was like. I'm not sure if I should actually contact any of these guys that are flirting with me, though... lol. I'm afraid they'd be disappointed, and plus I'm very wary of meeting people that I've spoken to online.... just think Craigslist killer...... lol

NVN

I have tried it. Met some people that were crazier than me. My experience was not very pleasant. I could see it working though.

It is worth a shot I guess.

nicole1

I'm a serial online dater. I find it harder to meet someone in real life. I'm not saying I haven't met anyone irl, but I prefer online dating. Believe it or not, some people reveal more about themselves online (like on facebook where I met my current...dating person...) than in real life.
Joining groups on facebook with similar interests helped me meet someone I'd likely get along with and that met most of the requirements for me.

B

Beatrice

Well, so far I'm getting hit on by creepy old pervs! Not that I'd be able to date anyone on there, anyway.... I mean, if I were to meet them in person, I'd doa double date to be safe....but I have no friends right now, soooooo.... not happening. I don't want a relationship without a friend support system, anyway.

Hottie

There is good and bad in everything. All you can do is be aware of that.

Fair play to ya tho! And good luck if you do meet up with somebody

:)

MsBuzzkillington

The thing is, the people who are online are the same people who are standing next to you at the supermarket.

Sure the internet makes it easier for the creeps to talk to you, but the craigslist killer was someone who was in the real world too.

So you can try it. Talk to people and see how things work out. It could go either way. If you do start talking to people you like, just be sure to be smart about it, like don't give out any personal information at all. If you do meet (lots of people are fairly "normal" and safe to meet) just do it in a public place for coffee or something.

It's not more dangerous to meet people on dating sites than it is in person. You just have to remember that it is the internet and they could be pretending to be someone else (so don't reveal too much personal stuff).

eso

I am going to try it because, without going into the long story of why, i'm sorta being forced to by someone.

I have no problem trying something to help me with dating life. I have an idea of what I'm going to do, which is extremely unorthodox, but whatever. We'll see what happens.

WeirdyMcGee

It's not for me~
I'm very untrusting of people and wouldn't be able to get over the fact that I had just met this person whom I'm dating. It doesn't seem right...
I've been on several failed dates since my last relationship ended and I really doubt that at this stage in my life I could learn to trust someone even after staying in contact/hanging out/getting to know them for 1-2-3 years.

I've heard many success stories from other people who've gone the online dating route.
My mother does online dating- although she constantly gets asked out in person wherever she goes.
I think she likes the fact that she can pick and choose and won't have to run into the person all over the place if things don't work out.

My mom and aunts signed me up for several dating sites; I got a few 'winks' all from someone WAY out of my age range. I'm 23--- pervert dude was older than my dad.
So no... not for me.
haha
I don't think I'll be doing any dating any time soon.

Smartie

I've been on dating sites for years, they haven't worked out for, am still single lol. I find it quite amusing how most people on dating sites list `honesty` as one of the most important things they look for in someone, well being honest hasn't done me any favours at all.

In the end I got fed up with meeting very shallow people on dating sites that I decided to write on my profile about my social phobia, lets just say the very few messages I got before I wrote all about my sa, has now dropped to zero.

leave_me_alone

I find lots of interesting girls on dating sites, but my problem is my location. I just feel that i am so far away from everyone else and the online relationships are kinda painful to say the least. Usually my profile dont get many any views, only when i actively browse and view other profiles - then i might get lucky and the girl will check my profile back.

Since i am not able to find a girlfriend normal way (in real life), i thought i might be more lucky on online dating sites, but so far it seems like i was wrong.

Duraldo

From a guy's perspective, online dating is 97% of where I get my dates....95% of them ended in phail, no second date. the 5% that didn't was one person, and it ended with me losing my virginity and the next week getting completely heart broken and feeling like an idiot, but mostly moved on from that. I have had absolutly no luck with girls I meet IRL, it always ends up friendship that goes nowhere. As a girl you will probaly get a crap load of messages, mostly from creeps, and then you'll get occasional messages from people like me, who are trying to legitly initiate a convo in the attempts to get to know someone they find intersting, only to think they're a creep, thus not replying. From what I understand, girls get message 5 times more then guys.As a guy, you have to pretty much just message random people and hope someone messages back, it really sucks. I try not to get in the mindset that "if i bombard 100 people, maybe 2 will reply", but thats how it seems. It really bums you out when they click your profile after you messaged them, and they don't reply, because then you know they saw your pics/profile and think you're just God-awful.

But give it a shot, it seems to be working for some people, who knows maybe you will be lucky, but don't expect too much.

B

Beatrice

From a guy's perspective, online dating is 97% of where I get my dates....95% of them ended in phail, no second date. the 5% that didn't was one person, and it ended with me losing my virginity and the next week getting completely heart broken and feeling like an idiot, but mostly moved on from that. I have had absolutly no luck with girls I meet IRL, it always ends up friendship that goes nowhere. As a girl you will probaly get a crap load of messages, mostly from creeps, and then you'll get occasional messages from people like me, who are trying to legitly initiate a convo in the attempts to get to know someone they find intersting, only to think they're a creep, thus not replying. From what I understand, girls get message 5 times more then guys.As a guy, you have to pretty much just message random people and hope someone messages back, it really sucks. I try not to get in the mindset that "if i bombard 100 people, maybe 2 will reply", but thats how it seems. It really bums you out when they click your profile after you messaged them, and they don't reply, because then you know they saw your pics/profile and think you're just God-awful.

But give it a shot, it seems to be working for some people, who knows maybe you will be lucky, but don't expect too much.

Yikes, sorry to hear that. I have heard the same thing about women receiving more messages than guys, and I can tell you myself, I got a CRAPLOAD of messages, but a good majority of them were from old pervy guys. A lot more were from 30 something year olds, which is still out of my age range (max would be 25, I think), and most of the ones in my age range looked like losers..... the whole "gangsta playa tattoos piercings hat backwards pants down butt" type.... lol. There were only a few that seemed genuine, and even fewer I was actually interested in. Dating is tough. Some people seem to think that if they look for love online it will make it easier - IMO, quite the contrary. It's that much more nerve-wracking.... what if you meet up with them and they're disappointed? It happens this way a LOT, to my knowledge, and we're the type who are afraid of rejection to begin with..... yeah, I'm done with all that.

LazyHermitCrab

I'm not so sure if it's a good idea. Well for example, you go out with someone for two months then you look online and see they're back on looking for the next new thing. Not a way to find someone loyal like. Just be aware and be safe good luck ! It just didn't work out for me, but it works out for others who knows. If you go online don't forget to look at what's around you also....

Last edited:

Rembrandt Broam

I'm not so sure if it's a good idea. Well for example, you go out with someone for two months then you look online and see they're back on looking for the next new thing. Not a way to find someone loyal like.

This isn't because of the online aspect though. There are guys that you might meet in all kinds of situtations who are always on the lookout for the next new thing. Some guys just enjoy chasing. I don't think there are more of them online than in any other potential dating environment.

Just be aware and be safe good luck ! It just didn't work out for me, but it works out for others who knows. If you go online don't forget to look at what's around you also....

Sorry it didn't work out for you, LHC. ::(:

Pookah

I think online dating sites remove an element of responsibility/consideration that people otherwise feel when in a real life situation. It goes for a lot of things on the internet really. People tend to fear no consequences. Not having met face to face its almost like you aren't "real" yet and when you do meet there is a very big chance you weren't or they aren't who they/you thought. People might be better off chatting about stuff not dating related. Common interests. Become friends that way either irl or online and then maybe a spark will occur that way. Its a hell of a lot more authentic.

B

Beatrice

I think online dating sites remove an element of responsibility/consideration that people otherwise feel when in a real life situation. It goes for a lot of things on the internet really. People tend to fear no consequences. Not having met face to face its almost like you aren't "real" yet and when you do meet there is a very big chance you weren't or they aren't who they/you thought. People might be better off chatting about stuff not dating related. Common interests. Become friends that way either irl or online and then maybe a spark will occur that way. Its a hell of a lot more authentic.

I completely agree with this. It's that very unknown factor that has turned me off it. I wouldn't want to meet someone and have had a certain idea only to be disappointed, and I wouldn't want someone else to be disappointed with me - that kind of rejection would be crushing.

Rembrandt Broam

I can definitely see your point about the lack of "reality" that the internet can create. I've seen internet exchanges where it's clear that both parties have forgotten that there's a real person sitting behind the opposing keyboard. I also think that people are sometimes slightly exaggerated versions of themselves online.

I think internet dating can work if you treat it exactly the way you describe and find common interests. I've never used an online dating site so I can't say what they are like, but I figured that was actually how they worked. People being matched up based on their interests, and using that as a starting point to get to know each other better. Perhaps I have that wrong though, and it's all just cybersex and stuff.