Online Dating

I just got a reply from someone on Plenty of Fish; from the looks of her profile, she seems nice. I said not to reply if she didn’t have any interest in me. Problem is, I’m afraid to read it.

iamthenra

I have been on Plenty Of Fish for about the last 10 years or so... Off and on... I would get depressed and cancel it, and then rejoin a week or two later... I too was scared to express interest in anyone up there, for fear that I would actually have to meet someone. In fact I was scared to just e-mail someone, or say that they were cute or attractive. So I got passed it somehow... I met one lady from POF and two from eHarmony all three ladies were my first three dates ever...

I would look at what she wrote. It's kind of exciting, but yet nerve racking because you don't know where it's going to go... Go for it!
3789628186_7e24bbbd73_o.gif

U

userremoved

Hell yeah dude go for it! :) I'm going to try it myself, once i get a job that is lol. I feel kind of like a loser being unemployed and trying to talk to women.

mmmm

You're a good looking guy and your posts seem intelligent enough. Don't just rely on this one woman. You probably won't believe me but you're the sort of guy who is blessed enough to be able to hold back until you find what you like. Don't put everything in her court.

I'm on that site and a week ago I actually met up with a girl that I met on that site...SA makes it hard and she could tell that I was nervous but it turned out to be a great evening!

Just message her back and have a bit of a conversation with her then ask if she wants to meet up YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

mikestar

Banned
I'm on that site and a week ago I actually met up with a girl that I met on that site...SA makes it hard and she could tell that I was nervous but it turned out to be a great evening!

Just message her back and have a bit of a conversation with her then ask if she wants to meet up YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

How are you getting on with girls mate? Any further with the one you really wanted to speak 2

I have been on Plenty Of Fish for about the last 10 years or so... Off and on... I would get depressed and cancel it, and then rejoin a week or two later... I too was scared to express interest in anyone up there, for fear that I would actually have to meet someone. In fact I was scared to just e-mail someone, or say that they were cute or attractive. So I got passed it somehow... I met one lady from POF and two from eHarmony all three ladies were my first three dates ever...

I would look at what she wrote. It's kind of exciting, but yet nerve racking because you don't know where it's going to go... Go for it!
3789628186_7e24bbbd73_o.gif

The same thoughts were going through my mind as well. When you first sign-up, create your profile, and then send out a couple of responses, you know your chances are slim. It feels not real and somewhat separate from real life. A couple of interested emails and you may be closer to having that first date and ending the online relationship.

The only other dating sites I've tried or Okcupid, which was kind of a waste of time and just full of quiz takers. Apparently, I’m an EHarmony Reject, incompatible for a normal relationship. Was not in a good mood that day let me tell you.

Thanks for your advice; I may pick your brain a little more at some point, if you don’t mind. ;)

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
If you are fishing don't cast out your line only once and expect fish dinner ;)

Hell yeah dude go for it! :) I'm going to try it myself, once i get a job that is lol. I feel kind of like a loser being unemployed and trying to talk to women.

It crossed my mind while I was writing my profile; I mentioned my lack of work and concluded that this year – 2009 - was the year of the unemployed. Many people are out of work, and so are many on Plenty of Fish. People will look past the job situation this year and you may as well go for it.

You're a good looking guy and your posts seem intelligent enough. Don't just rely on this one woman. You probably won't believe me but you're the sort of guy who is blessed enough to be able to hold back until you find what you like. Don't put everything in her court.

Thanks for the complements, you now have me blushing.

I’ve sent a few messages out, but now many. Plenty of Fish seems to have plenty of shallow and demanding women. I only go for the quirky & eccentric type.

I finally read her response with a slight smile; she thanked me for contacting her and asked how I was doing. It wasn’t a long post. However, I noticed she gave me a question to answer. I think she may have a little interest, but I’m not trying to fast track anything. I’ll take my time and see if the conversation is good, see what kind of vibe I can pick up.

antipop621

I'm actually trying this out for the first time right now. We haven't met in person yet, but we've spoken on the phone a bunch of times. She seems really amazing. I'm cautious but pretty optimistic.

JCS008

Made a profile and browsed other profiles, but deleted/hid my profile after like a week. Realized it wasn't the best time for me to get into online dating, not to mention I didn't feel like paying the registration fee and be on the hook for a few months. Maybe in the future I will, since it is kind of interesting.

Banvard, I think you should go for it. I mean there's definitely no rush for anything, and few E-Mails here and there should be fine. You'll be able to get to know her better and see if there is any chemistry. Good luck to you!

She sent another message wanting to know more. I'll have to shorten what I say, my last message was 500 words long. Will she think I'm too eager?

mads

She sent another message wanting to know more. I'll have to shorten what I say, my last message was 500 words long. Will she think I'm too eager?

It depends on the person. But remember she throwed the ball over to you by wanting to know more about you so you dont think you should have any problems.

i can go overboard on initially getting to know someone like that also. i think in general it's better to try to slow it down a bit, so i try to refrain from writing too much.

i just joined okcupid, i don't know how it'll go. hopefully there are some other screwed up people on there.

Never tried online dating but I agree with meatcake up there: banvard, yep you shouldn't write too much. Like maybe you could write some interesting statements about yourself but skip the why and how. I made that up lol but yeah if you write too much you'll have nothing left to talk about face-to-face. and that's something to think about.

Imhotep

Hey Banvard - I think I reviewed your profile once when you asked for comments in the forums :) . Does that sound possible?

Anyhow, I was a serial online dating addict (signed up to several sites) but never managed to do anything about it. My anxiety drove one woman crackers, but that was as far as I got. What you've got to realise is that even fairly attractive women on there get dozens if not hundreds of emails a week, and that's pretty bad odds. So getting a response, any response, is commendable.

If I were to go back to POF (you can still find me if you look hard enough!) I think I would just try the jokiest approach possible. That seems to get a response, even if it's just a "LOL" or something.

Like real life, I think it pays to keep it light and casual.