Offensive Reputation Messages

Remus

Staff member
People who do that are idiots and cowards... I don't think they have anything personal with you, they just want to annoy.

It's only about four people who have done this, one has recently been perm banned, one fessed up, one left here a while back and one suprise!

People I expected it might have been, actually didn't do it lol

From what I've seen going through the logs, 98% is positive rep and comments, so there is much less animosity than you think.

hoddesdon

I fully agree - you should put your name to what you say.

The fact that it only occurs occasionally does not change anything - really the moderators should implement the requirement to put your name to what you say in the website. Everything else that is written is identified as coming from a particular person, and there is no logical reason why this should be an exception.

I had not looked in my User CP before - I have a nasty comment too which was made only on the 8th of this month (i.e. 8 May 2010). The word used is "creepy". There are other positive comments as well, but that is not really relevant.

Remus

Staff member
The fact that it only occurs occasionally does not change anything - really the moderators should implement the requirement to put your name to what you say in the website. Everything else that is written is identified as coming from a particular person, and there is no logical reason why this should be an exception.

I had not looked in my User CP before - I have a nasty comment too which was made only on the 8th of this month (i.e. 8 May 2010). The word used is "creepy". There are other positive comments as well, but that is not really relevant.

On the first part, I agree but we cannot change it as we are not admins

The second part, the culprit of that has confessed previously in this thread

Lea

Banned
I normally don't give negative rep points, only once I did, but quite long ago, I guess the person was saying he wished painful death to people or something like that. I got one negative rep from someone who later apologized through PM.

One thing I find annoying is (this happened to me a few times), that I wanted to give good reputation to people but couldn't because it said I can't rep someone twice consecutively. But why if I feel the post was really good and they deserve it?? If I give someone good rep it's not because they are Mr or Ms XY but because of what they have written.

I still don't understand how it really works.

In my User CP it says I have 14 points total.
But in the list underneath, it only lists 1 positive rep, with 1 thread title.
So what about the other 13 - are they positive...negative....and for which posts.... I'm confused

I think new users start out with 10 points, and the one positive you got may have been from someone with 4 points to give. Your "rep power" is how many points you have to give out, and from what I can tell, that's simply based on how long you've been a member on the site. Mine went up from 1 to 2 the day of my one year anniversary here, and I didn't even notice when it changed to 3- perhaps 30 or 60 days after that.

AGR

I wish we could do without this if possible,isnt enough that people feel left out in real life?

hippiechild

well just so you people know you can neg rep me all you like, make hundreds thousands i dont mind cos i wont read them anyways :rolleyes::D

Haha totally, me too :D

We'll be the first to ever be "on a dastardly and despicable road" with a little red box by our names

Danfalc

Banned
I wish we could do without this if possible,isnt enough that people feel left out in real life?

You make a good point,I guess it is maybe not a good idea to have any sort of rating system on a site where people feel judged and left out.But it's been discussed before and it's a feature built into the site which the mods can't do anything about.

On the other hand,I think it's a nice system which can be used by people to say thanks to someone for posting something nice or helpful.Imo it's easy enough to get rep if you post constructive advise and be friendly to other people.

agoraphobickatie

On the other hand,I think it's a nice system which can be used by people to say thanks to someone for posting something nice or helpful.Imo it's easy enough to get rep if you post constructive advise and be friendly to other people.

i agree.. and i usually leave my name or something anyways letting people know when i leave them rep..

Danfalc

Banned
i agree.. and i usually leave my name or something anyways letting people know when i leave them rep..

Yeah exactly :) Sometimes I get stressed on here just doing mod stuff,then I get a message or someone leaves me rep with a note just saying they really appreciates something and it makes my day.

Danfalc

Banned
Not gonna lie. I've been extremely tempted to leave a few people negative comments the past few days, but I just haven't had the heart. There's really no constructiveness in it that I see; more like just an avenue to vent and be mean.

I think everyone feels the urge to do similar stuff if they see something which is either offensive/hatefull or out of order.But It's best not to lower yourself to that level and either confront them politely or just ignore it.

So yeah I agree it's not constructive :) You can however report stuff to us mods if it breaks the rules and we will try and deal with it.The mod's can't read every thread so in a way all the members help the site to be run if they report stuff.