No longer a child but not yet an adult

alwaysrunning

Who else feels stuck in this wierd in between life transistion? I mean sometimes i feel like i want to be over with college and be out there in the real world but then again those thoughts scare me outta my mind. When im awarded too much responsibility i resent it because i know im not ready for it but when im treated like a child i also resent it. This age is even more confusing than my early teens.How do u guys feel about your 18-22ish

U

userremoved

Ha yeah growing up is scary, especially when you don't know how to do something that should be common knowledge and people are like "What you didn't know that?!" lol. Then you gotta deal with bills x_x

No matter how much responsibility I'm forced to take on or how old I get, I don't think I'll ever have much of the mentality of an adult. I'll probably still be jumping in puddles, climbing trees,and rolling down hills(among other things) when I'm an old lady.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Brittney does.
YouTube - ‪Britney Spears - I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman‬‏

But to be serious I do feel this way. At 19 I'm still technically a teenager, but ever since high school ended I've felt stuck in this space between being a young high school kid and being an adult who can stand on his own two feet. I almost feel like I'm not ready to be all grown up yet. I don't think I'll ever be ready though. The sooner I accept that the next phase of my life is beginning, the better, because right now I'm in no mans land. I think my mom recognizes this too because she offered to let me borrow a book she has on change...and cheese I think. She has strange books.

MrJones

YouTube - ‪Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen (Studio Version)‬‏

This song expresses pretty good how I feel about it:

Lines form on my face and hands
Lines form from the ups and downs
I'm in the middle without any plans
I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen
and I don't know what I want
Eighteen
I just don't know what I want
Eighteen
I gotta get away
I've gotta get out of this place
I'll go runnin in outer space
Oh yeah

I got a
baby's brain and an old man's heart
Took eighteen years to get this far
Don't always know what I'm talkin' about
Feels like I'm livin in the middle of doubt
Cause I'm

Eighteen
I get confused every day
Eighteen
I just don't know what to say
Eighteen
I gotta get away

Lines form on my face and my hands
Lines form on the left and right
I'm in the middle
the middle of life
I'm a boy and I'm a man

Forget about the final lines. I don't like it.

alwaysrunning

Haha That Brittney Spears video post totally made my day. I tend to take myself too seriously sometimes. Thank you for that levity in your comment, maybe one day we wont be scared to take that next step into our full adult lives (im soooooo hoping it happens before i turn 21)...=)

Patrick26

haha that brittney spears video post totally made my day. I tend to take myself too seriously sometimes. Thank you for that levity in your comment, maybe one day we wont be scared to take that next step into our full adult lives (im soooooo hoping it happens before i turn 21)...=)

SpEAR BRITTANY!!!!

Iseesky

Yes! I completely feel like I'm awkwardly stuck between two phases! ::(:

I'm 20, but still feel like I'm 15. I feel like there's a long list of things that I should have or should know, but don't yet. And I find myself asking my dad a lot of financial/life questions because I honestly don't know how a lot of things work. My parents have done everything for me growing up, but never really bothered to teach me so I could do it on my own.

When other people my age are travelling solo around the world, working jobs, buying cars, buying homes, pursuing careers and love lives...I sit at home and watch movies. :p Though, I do go to school and have my heart set on being a teacher. So, that's what I'm focusing on right now. ::eek::

Also, in my opinion...The coolest adults are the ones who never grew up. ::p:

Darryl

A child living in a adults body.

This feeling will leave when you become more confident in decision making.

As a child, adult's make all the decisions on your behalf or for you safety.

Regards
Darryl

I love being childish (might sound stupid lol), a child has no worries about the future, they just play in the playground screaming not caring what people think (that is so great, imagine i would still be the same without sa) they make time for funny games, they don't go with the busy life style of always busy in mind, they live in their own world, kids don't have to worry about money problems, fitt in society, relationship issues and they don't have as much pressure as adults have. I think we adults got more responsibility and more oppurtunities like having a job and that is great, but still everyone has a childish side :D, we still like to roll in the dirt or climb trees, don't we? ;) It all reminds us of the good o'lll times, but we're too ashamed , so basically we are all a lil Socially anxious ::p: We all want to show our adultness that we are not childish, but what's wrong about it?

Ever seen a commercial about the mother and kid in the supermarket?
''I want candy!!'' Mom , ''No we're not going to buy candy''
Kid falls down on the floor (while everyone is around) and screams loudly ''Weheeh'' Mom laughs with this ''i don't care face'' and falls down on the floor (while everyone is around) ''Wheeheeh i want candy!!!'' Everyone stares weirdly..... But laughs after it ::p: so what's the deal?^^

Last edited:

Feathers

lol vj, you feel like Britney? :) hehe...

Well, it's called Peter Pan syndrom for 'men who never grow up' but I think that's probably for older men than you guys here.. I think for women, it could be 'Pippi Longstocking' syndrom maybe? You know how at the end of the book she eats the 'magic mini-balls' (might be pills but not in our translation :)) to 'never grow up' - hmm??!!

I think I might be suffering from the same syndrom too, hehe.. Then again, I felt much more adult at 19/20 than now...

There is a point that some of the most FUN and imaginative/creative people never really fully grow up..

Pippi Longstocking had a big box of gold though *sigh* lol... :) And a villa!! And a Mr Monkey!!

If any of you are still living with parents it can be partly because of that too.. If you have your own money and your life and are more fully independent it's easier to feel more 'grown up'!!

matthew_

I am the same way, I think social anxiety/phobia tends to make you want that more. Because it's what you know is seemingly impossible to get.

I always love people who have this spark of fun, that childlike joy. It's something that I always want to further explore without limitations.

Perhaps oneday.

Shant

Same going for me, I'm 19. Mainly because I really, just really, do not want to grow up; I was intensely depressed before 18 because I did not want to be an adult at all. Yet I also want more responsible so I can get out of this stupid house already and not have my parents barking at me all the time.

Although possibly, I have more of an unbalance with this, I still prefer to not be an adult. I want more responsibility, but I don't want to grow up. Ugh...

Bustn Justin

I am 30 and feel that I have the maturity of a 22 year old since I am doing a job that one does and not in a serious relationship.

As for Britney, she def transitioned to womanhood. Her latest album she talks about how badly she needs to get laid. Just think to myself that she should just come over and we can work on that.

Vampayah88

Im 21 and feel this way too because while growing up my way overprotective parents insisted on doing everything for me and I've never really been taught how to do these things myself. now they give me **** for it, telling me how I can't take care of myself, take care of the house etc. Yeah, that does wonders for my confidence. My mom also tells me every chance she gets she can't do anything with her life and kept her back from leaving and going to where dad works (in another country) because im unable to take care of myself.
She won't even leave me home alone for a week! she's always afraid something might happen to me, that the house might freakin explode or smth, that I won't feed myself because i don't really know to cook many stuff etc and im too much away at the faculty being busy to be able to focus on these stuff. This makes me feel absolutely awful and I guess it's one of the main reasons I have no confidence in myself. She'll always tell me how i cant do anything on my own, do things around the house.. Which is pretty stupid imo because im a healthy young woman, always been an excellent student,been a great kid while growing up, my parents never had to face any problems that many othger parents would with teenagers, Im doing great in college right now and I don't think i i would freakin die if she leaves the house for a few days or longer, she just doesn't give me a chance. How am I ever suppose to learn these stuff if she won't let me!??!

Last edited:

Mickery

Your are not alone, Vamp. How do you deal with it? I find it very difficult to do anything about because it's caused by their own issues, not mine. I can't really fix it because I'm not the problem.

I'm going to think of that Britney song every time the subject occurs, now. :D

dean01

think ppl call it kidulthood, not quite an adult but not a kid either.
im 32 and i walk on the edge of the pavement balancing like im walking a tight rope and jumping cracks in the path, why cant we act young its more fun than being old and boring. i think we all have a bit of peter pan syndrome in us ;) xx