No Friends At All?

AsTimeBurns

People throw it around a bit: "i've got no friends", when in reality they do have 1 or 2 people they talk to or hang out with occasionally, even if it's a rarity. But does anyone else have literally no friends at all?

I'm defining friend here as someone you would see/talk to/do something with outside of where you know them from. So e.g. outside of work or school or whatever. Even if it's only very rarely.

I used to have a group of people I'd play football with at school/after school/weekends years ago, and 2 closer friends who I'd see more often, but I've seen them about maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 4 years, and the last time was over a year ago.

Anyone similar? Do you wish you did have some, or do you just get on with life alone nowadays?

Agent_Violet

I have ONE friend. Our relationship is mostly via text and email. We hang out maybe once every few months.

Other than that, i rather enjoy living my life without the social pressure of friends.

A86

Its mostly my own fault. I am/would be a terrible friend. Its never me making the effort to see/keep friends.

On a more posative note. It really weeds out the superficial people and identifys the really decent people that I should really appreaciate to call friends.

..then on another negative note. Its unfortuante that I dont relise this until its to late.

WeirdyMcGee

I haven't 'hung out' with anyone in 2-3 years, aside from blood related family members at family funerals.

I talk to 1 person daily on msn whom I would consider a friend.
Maybe 2 others occasionally on msn - but for the most part; no one is logged on and if they are they don't talk to me and I don't bother talking to them.

I feel like I'm okay being alone but sometimes I wish I weren't so pathetically lonely.
I could change it if I wanted to, I guess... but I'm just too scared to go outside of what has become my comfort zone.

BiWinning

I am similar to the other posters, I have one friend as in one person I associate with after school, and sometimes we just sit outside and read silently, but it is nice to have. Though I am very hesitate about making friends, I wish I had more sometimes.

planemo

Well I suppose my immediate family are my only real life friends as I get to see and interact with them daily. I have a few online acquaintances but rarely get to chat with them. But that's as far as I go, no real "buddy" type people at all and i have no contact with any relatives. So I'm as alone as anyone can be really...

Last edited:

simpsons2007

I don't have any friends that I meet up with or text.

I would like to have one at some point even if it was just to meet up every few months or so.

The last time I had a friend (well thought he was) was about 6yrs or so ago. I stopped being friendly with him after one night of drinking he beat the beep out of me.

I do like being by myself doing my own thing but I HATE this depressing feeling of loneliness.

AsTimeBurns

I ask because I was looking at my phone earlier and realised I only have 3 contacts on there, and I've had it for years:

Dad
Mum
Mum Work

>.>

Steppen-Wolf

I'm defining friend here as someone you would see/talk to/do something with outside of where you know them from. So e.g. outside of work or school or whatever. Even if it's only very rarely.

Under that definition I don't have any friends right now, I did have a few some years ago.

Anyone similar? Do you wish you did have some, or do you just get on with life alone nowadays?

Of course I would like to have someone, but not just anyone... And there's my problem.

I'm looking for a type of person that's very rare around here, which makes it even more difficult to make friends.

BiWinning

I ask because I was looking at my phone earlier and realised I only have 3 contacts on there, and I've had it for years:

Dad
Mum
Mum Work

>.>

That makes me feel sad, how do you feel about that? Sorry for bluntness and lack of tact, I just wanted to ask...

nightcrawler

I haven't 'hung out' with anyone in 2-3 years, aside from blood related family members at family funerals.

I talk to 1 person daily on msn whom I would consider a friend.
Maybe 2 others occasionally on msn - but for the most part; no one is logged on and if they are they don't talk to me and I don't bother talking to them.

I feel like I'm okay being alone but sometimes I wish I weren't so pathetically lonely.
I could change it if I wanted to, I guess... but I'm just too scared to go outside of what has become my comfort zone.

My comfort zone is my life. I have friends at work who I'm sure I could socialize with outside of work if I asked them, but I can't be bothered. And I avoid most other events - even family parties - if it involves going outside of my comfort zone. I've gone to a few funerals, which I kinda felt obligated to go to. Luckily no-one has got married in my family for about 10 years ;) I didn't enjoy the last wedding I went to at all. My closest friend - who I've known for nearly 30 years - I used to hang out with quite regularly; going to the cinema, for a meal, going to each others houses to chat and play videogames. In the last year or so though he moved in with his girlfriend and then got engaged...now I hardly see him, maybe half a dozen times a year.

AsTimeBurns

That makes me feel sad, how do you feel about that? Sorry for bluntness and lack of tact, I just wanted to ask...

Doesn't particularly make me feel anything, just *shrug* that's life. Some people have lots of friends, some don't have any. I happen to be the latter.

BiWinning

Doesn't particularly make me feel anything, just *shrug* that's life. Some people have lots of friends, some don't have any. I happen to be the latter.

Oh, well at least you are okay with it! Not like my phone is bursting with contacts either :D

I have friends, but they dont feel like a friend because we dont talk to each other and we dont hang out. So it feels like I actually have no friends. I mean I have friends responding to my fb status. But thats all they know about me, we dont communicate in any personal level. So really, it feels like I have no friends.

ridicule

I have two friends from high school that serve various purposes, but none I can actually share anything meaningful. As for the internet, I would say I have many friends, people I'd talk to daily and that's the key. It's just a matter of choices. I live in a rural area in the midwest of the US and that means my local choices are punk ass kids, bitter old racist rednecks, and young adults who love to imbibe all sorts of substances and who have entirely too much pride. But the internet, you can literally talk to anyone, I have friends from Europe, India, Mexico, Australia..... all of which are radically different perspectives than my own.

My advice to anyone is make internet friends. And **** what people say "It's just the internet".

ScaredToBreathe

i do have a few friends who i hang out with as much as once or twice a week. but sometimes i go for months without seeing any of them.

i met my best friend in grade 3. we sat next to each other in class and she was the new kid that year. she starting talking to me and ended up following me around outside during recess. i thought she was kinda weird and it was embarassing having her following me around, especially cuz i didnt know wut to talk about. but i didnt wanna be mean or anything so i let her hang around with me and she invited me over to her house and we ended up being best friends once we got to know each other better.
i have had a lot of good friends who i hung out with all the time, but as soon as they go to a different school or move or something, then we never bother to contact each other and just drift apart.
also, most of the friends that i have now ive met through my other friends.