My ugly, frowny face

xmisunderstoodx

I take/pick up my sister from school everyday. Well, today this lady was all like "I see you when I walk my kids to school and we're always like look at this lady, she's always smiling and happy and blah blah blah. She was being sarcastic. I know I'm not the happiest person in the world but I didn't know you could see it in my face that much. Even if I smile, I'm still ugly. I feel fat, insecure, and that i was just born ugly. I try to keep a serious face at all times but I lose my confidence and i guess that's where the frowning starts. But, i guess i'll just go with smiling with my big fat face, cheeks and ugliness.

It just keeps getting really bad. I'm not smart. Not pretty. Not funny. I don't have a social life. No friends. No future. Never good enough. I just don't even like myself. I feel like ending it.

dottie

that lady was rude and out of line. i am sorry you feel this way. you are probably really cute when you smile. i have not looked at someone smiling and ever thought, "geez, they are ugly..." quite the opposite.

"I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls." -Audrey Hepburn

you are being very unkind to yourself. would you say those things to a stranger??

xmisunderstoodx

Well i kinda just did tell lots of strangers that...

I feel embarrassed....im overreacting...i can be more happy and smile more often

Quietguy11

I'm not sure how old you are, but I realized as I got older that the mind is much attractive, beautiful, and powerful. In fact if you are in high spirits, your countenance will match how you feel. If you are low, then your countenance, again, will display your lowness. My friends can always tell whether I'm happy or not because it shows on my face, it's a complete give away. I think what's important is that we focus on trying to strengthen our minds so that we can be more positive and happy with ourselves, and that will show on our faces when we smile and interact with people.

FriendlyShadow

I take/pick up my sister from school everyday. Well, today this lady was all like "I see you when I walk my kids to school and we're always like look at this lady, she's always smiling and happy and blah blah blah. She was being sarcastic. I know I'm not the happiest person in the world but I didn't know you could see it in my face that much. Even if I smile, I'm still ugly. I feel fat, insecure, and that i was just born ugly. I try to keep a serious face at all times but I lose my confidence and i guess that's where the frowning starts. But, i guess i'll just go with smiling with my big fat face, cheeks and ugliness.

It just keeps getting really bad. I'm not smart. Not pretty. Not funny. I don't have a social life. No friends. No future. Never good enough. I just don't even like myself. I feel like ending it.

I'm so sorry about what happened to you xmisunderstoodx. I think it's the majority of people like to criticize for other's differences, mainly I just think most just like to be mean and harrass people just for the sake of it. I get told quite often how I don't smile, really though, is depression the only way people can mark that as? If I'm not smiling, you can't actually assume it's because I'm depressed or go as far to make insensitive remarks to state the obvious. And why this lady who I'm guessing doesn't know you at all, decides to talk down on you because she has no one else to bully on. I'm sorry you don't feel your pretty. I actually look at women now everywhere and they all look beautiful than I will ever be. I hate how I look in pictures and I hate my smile, and how people think I look great in all of them is such a mystery. Maybe more of the wedding pictures I was in and I was't prepared for taking a good smile might be why, but dresses reveal alot of my skinniness and I just truly don't wear them at all. Funinness I could never acomplish with other. It sucks and I feel awkard just making one. People think I'm weird, well they're too normal to understand why. Sorry for rambling. I wish I could give out some advice if I could.

FriendlyShadow

I'm so sorry about what happened to you xmisunderstoodx. I think it's the majority of people like to criticize for other's differences, mainly I just think most just like to be mean and harrass people just for the sake of it. I get told quite often how I don't smile, really though, is depression the only way people can mark that as? If I'm not smiling, you can't actually assume it's because I'm depressed or go as far to make insensitive remarks to state the obvious. And why this lady who I'm guessing doesn't know you at all, decides to talk down on you because she has no one else to bully on. I'm sorry you don't feel your pretty. I actually look at women now everywhere and they all look beautiful than I will ever be. I hate how I look in pictures and I hate my smile, and how people think I look great in all of them is such a mystery. Maybe more of the wedding pictures I was in and I was't prepared for taking a good smile might be why, but dresses reveal alot of my skinniness and I just truly don't wear them at all. Funinness I could never acomplish with other. It sucks and I feel awkard just making one. People think I'm weird, well they're too normal to understand why. Sorry for rambling. I wish I could give out some advice if I could.

laure15

I used to think that being beautiful means you don't feel pressured/have the obligation to smile at other people because your beautiful face would make up for everything. I later found out that this not true. It doesn't matter how attractive you are, people still expect you to smile to fit in. I used to have a desire to be attractive but now I realize that's less important than developing good social skills, which means being able to smile (or fake one) in public.

xmisunderstoodx

I wanted to so bad but it wouldn't have been appropriate. Now I feel worse about going outside and more self conscious about my facial expressions.

ImNotMyIllness

I guarantee you that lady is miserable herself. Someone who is happy and content with life, does not go out of their way to personally make others feel bad.
Try not to be so hard on yourself. Beauty is a reflection of many qualities...Kindness being first and foremost. People who judge you so superficially don't matter in the first place. Try to find things about yourself that you do like. You have to be your own advocate. No one else will. You deserve at least that.

Silatuyok

I can't really judge the situation because I wasn't there to experience it, but it sounds to me like she wasn't necessarily trying to be rude. It sounds to me more like she was concerned and just chose a not-so-great way to go about bringing her concern to your attention. Perhaps she felt awkward herself and didn't know how else to go about bringing it up. It's not like she yelled obscenities at you from across the street; she was trying to initiate a conversation. Can you really blame a woman for telling you that you look unhappy when you admit to being unhappy?
That being said, if you are not happy then you shouldn't just smile all the time and pretend to be happy. Looking unhappy when you are unhappy is perfectly appropriate.

LA-girl

Good grief what is going in this society? I have in the past received many compliments for my face in particular. I can see I look worse on some days and better other days. At the same rate I am getting older (35), so I can see my face looks different than before, including my facial expressions, but mostly it is in times where I am stressed or exhausted. And then if you feel people notice it as well, it will only getworse and worse. You will end up feeling incredibly depressed and your face will look depressed as well. It does not matter what people say, try to focus on other qualities etc....it only makes it a lot worse. At the same time, when your looks starts to fade, you might realize that some people were mainly with you because of the way you looked. Or they liked you because you had a pretty face etc. And it is a terrible feeling to wake up and realize these same people start to behave mean to you just because you do not look the same anymore. How can people handle that? It's too depressing.

LA-girl

There are unfortunately people out there who measure every girl/woman up against one standard. Features many including plastic surgeons think are beautiful are being hacked on, on pages like these. I visited a plastic surgeon once, not because of my face, but because of something else, and he complimented me for my face (without me asking) and things about my face some have later brought up as negative. (online gangsters) He could easily have pointed out that they were flaws so he could make money on fixing it, if he saw it like that. He did bring up my mole though as something negative. A plastic surgeon will normally not try to compliment something he could make money fixing. This was in 2004 I think. He was not the only one btw. Each to their own. I just wish that people would stick to things they like without plaguing others because they happen to like something different. And that they would accept the fact that people get older and sick and they change, and if they can't accept it, then leave them be. Go be with someone that they like.

Ugliest Female Celebrities - Top Ten List - TheTopTens.com

Last edited:

ZeroFriends69

The thing is--the brain-eff for folks like us is--how do you know that she was being sarcastic and not sincere? When someone at work tells me that I look "so cute!", I assume it's because I look like a unicorn-nun on krokodil.

Everything is a dig.

At least, it all feels like a dig.

On the other hand, when I'm in front of a group, they laugh at what I'm saying because they think I'm being sarcastic! And what I say out of whimsy--like, what if humans gave up speech and communicated solely by passing each other LOL cats--is taken at face value.

For long term financial and emotional success, I feel like I've gotta create a character to play. Help?

Nathália

I haven't posted in 9 months, but when I read about people saying things to others with ill intent, it upsetting to read. If someone comes up to someone and make a sarcastic joke because they feel a person didn't meet their standards ( in this case not smiling enough), they are being a jackass at that moment and do not deserve an excuse. People just need to be mature and learn how to own up to their mistakes when they are called out and grow from it. She was in the wrong and I feel like as humans we can be ignorant and say stupid/do things and it effects the society, everyone does.

Nothing is wrong with you not smiling. I giggle at myself all of the time, make jokes and laugh with others, and when I'm not smiling at someone I still may really like them, but I'm not going to act EXTRA and put on a SHOW because of how I may appear to someone that doesn't know me. People are not walking customer service representatives. If someone thinks that I have to fake a smile, they better help pay my bills for it.

Even if you did smile, something else would be picked at. It's just the world we live in, because we're all just imperfect people and it's profitable to talk about peoples imperfections, and there are so many people that have distanced themselves from that culture. I believe it's okay for us to not like ourselves sometimes, but it's jut reality you have to scoff at peoples ignorance and just find those that are more understanding. Sorry that made you feel so sad.

LeDiskoLove99

Well the lady needs to mind her own business in the first place. I hate it when people do that crap. And second of all, you will always be the hardest on yourself. That's just how humans are, they are incredibly hard on themselves when other people probably don't see them so harshly. Screw other people, try to find reasons to smile even if it's just a funny video. And if you feel like frowning, well then screw them again, frown all you want, but don't disallow yourself the expression of happiness based on what you fear other people will think. That's just unfair to you. I know easier said than done to not care about what other people think, I think just like you do.

I'm sure you would look lovely with a smile. Because I've always found that people are at their best when they smile. = )

Last edited: