Mental Hospitals

Have you ever been admitted to a mental hospital?

• Yes.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • No.

Votes: 137 80.6%

• Total voters
Have you ever been admitted to a mental hospital? (Voluntarily or involuntarily)

So, as I mentioned a bit below, I've been multiple times (both inpatient and outpatient). It has always been an "in and out and then back again" sort of thing, like a revolving door. Every time was against my will.

I realize that many people would rather not say anything, but I was just curious. After all, what's this forum for?

Last edited:
I once asked to go to one because i was having a breakdown, and basically the doctor just told me to stop over exaggerating..

Remus

Staff member
Multiple times, both inpatient and outpatient ::(: ::eek::
Ahh sounds like my best mate, she's been in and out like that, knows the doctors first names and all, she's Bi-polar though so she admits it really is for her own good, I've vistited her at the hospital a few times when she's been bad, quite posh really, almost like a hotel, I was expecting a victorian-prison-like-building (asylum) :eek:

When I first realised something was seriously up with me I was afraid to even mention it to my GP incase men in white coats carted me off

Ahh sounds like my best mate, she's been in and out like that, knows the doctors first names and all, she's Bi-polar though so she admits it really is for her own good, I've vistited her at the hospital a few times when she's been bad, quite posh really, almost like a hotel, I was expecting a victorian-prison-like-building (asylum) :eek:

Yeah... I know what you mean. Sometimes, they're falsely portrayed in movies. I was fully expecting a rusty, prison-like setting the first time I went in. Still scary as ever, though.

FOR REAL

Banned
ive got a friend who has mania, and he escaped from the secure unit, cause he wanted a bacon roll for his breakfast.

can i ask why this poll is added on the main page, but when i make a poll it never gets added to the main page

am i doing something wrong, or mine just not good enough?

can i ask why this poll is added on the main page, but when i make a poll it never gets added to the main page

Hmm, type "poll" in the FAQ section and it should tell you all about it.

Maybe it's not good enough :p (kidding)

Remus

Staff member

post it in the polls forum

I put your "age" thread there now

Flowers-Of-Bloom

No, although I was recommended to an adolesent psychiatric ward when I was 15. Instead I went to recovery centre four days a week. Much more pleasant, I would guess. I met some of the previous paitents who went there, and to be honest I haven't heard many good things about psych wards.

SilentType

Banned
I spent 4 days in the local psych unit in December. Basically I tried to OD on oxycontin (480mg up the nose), right before I went to bed so I could "go to sleep forever", and I was amazed that I lived. I had the worst headache ever the next day (most likely from barely breathing through the night, not getting enough oxygen to my brain). If someone was there to find me anywhere but my bed, I would have gotten taken to the E.R. immediately, lol. I find it weird how that works, but I decided it was a stupid idea, told my mom about it, and she flipped **** and called the cops to come take me over there. The cop entered my room, and for the sake of him not finding my cannabis and pipe,I just said "Let's get this over with." Thats exactly what we did, and I ended up being able to sign a voluntary form so it didnt go on my criminal record that I was sent there.

As far as the people that work there, they are all nice as could be and want nothing more than for you to get better. The patients were mostly very normal people who were going through very hard times or just did something really stupid like I did. The four days of socializing with these people who were going through similar events in their lifes was enough to change my whole perspective on life. The best part was I got setup with a new psychiatrist who is in state, so I no longer have to pay $150 per visit to get my meds. I also got a new therapist, who is also paid by my insurance. I have all these resources now, and I'm going to use them, along with this "second chance at life" that I've been given, to do the most I can do with the rest of my life. I've already applied for college, and I have a much more positive outlook on life now. I'm moving on... Hopefully I won't get stuck in another rut lol...

Peace