Mental Hospitals

Have you ever been admitted to a mental hospital?

• Yes.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • No.

Votes: 137 80.6%

• Total voters

Noca

Banned
Ive been to the psych ward 4 times and was admitted twice for about a total of 3 weeks.

Danfalc

Banned
I got close to admitting myself at one point,but after seeing my Mum get put in the one here,they would have to drag me.

We had a multi ward unit,then the cut backs happend and they merged the wards,you had people who were a danger to others on the same ward as young people with eating disorders,it was horrible and it kicked off constantly.

@silentype,sorry to hear you got that low.It really is true though that sometimes we have to hit rock bottom before it starts to get better.But Im glad things have turned around a bit for you and I wish you the best.

Pink_Paula

I was nearly admitted into mental ward type place last year, i had an emotional breakdown and i was being looked after by a crisis team, they thought it would be better for me to be in a secure environment so i couldn't harm myself. Luckily i didn't go, i think if i had gone or been forced to go it would have made me a lot worse. I'm not coping very well right now, my emotions are up and down, sometimes i have good days but most are bad, so i'm still seeing my crisis team, they seem to help me without me having to go into hospital and i am so glad for that!

Ahh sounds like my best mate, she's been in and out like that, knows the doctors first names and all, she's Bi-polar though so she admits it really is for her own good, I've vistited her at the hospital a few times when she's been bad, quite posh really, almost like a hotel, I was expecting a victorian-prison-like-building (asylum) :eek:

When I first realised something was seriously up with me I was afraid to even mention it to my GP incase men in white coats carted me off

Wow, like a hotel? Wasn't like that for me, was much more like a 'victorian-prison-like-building'! :D

I'm sort of amazed to read that some of you have tried to go voluntarily and been denied..I've never heard of such a thing. when i went it was totally against my will and i was always threatened with it thereafter, which is why I haven't seen a therapist in about 8 years...as soon as i got out of that big-brother system, I stayed as far away as possible. I had few human rights during that period of time, it was nightmare - BUT, this was because I was under 18, so my therapist had full control...and I'm fairly convinced he was a psychopath. :eek:

Noca

Banned
Wow, like a hotel? Wasn't like that for me, was much more like a 'victorian-prison-like-building'! :D

I'm sort of amazed to read that some of you have tried to go voluntarily and been denied..I've never heard of such a thing. when i went it was totally against my will and i was always threatened with it thereafter, which is why I haven't seen a therapist in about 8 years...as soon as i got out of that big-brother system, I stayed as far away as possible. I had few human rights during that period of time, it was nightmare - BUT, this was because I was under 18, so my therapist had full control...and I'm fairly convinced he was a psychopath. :eek:
Psych wards are usually prisons, they differ from depression psych wards. Depression psych wards are usually much nicer, with couches, tv's, living rooms, showers, chapels, courtyards(fenced in mind you). In a depression psych ward you get to get treated like a human being and not an animal like at regular hospital psych wards. They have a doctor meet with you everyday and there is workshops you can attend and support groups as well as leisure activities. The overall atmosphere is directed at getting one better, not locking them up like a criminal. If you are depressed and suicidal, I suggest asking your doctor for a depression ward and not just go to your local hospital's psych ward/prison.

PS mind you the depression clinic I described was considered the best depression clinic in the entire province.

Last edited:
Psych wards are usually prisons, they differ from depression psych wards. Depression psych wards are usually much nicer, with couches, tv's, living rooms, showers, chapels, courtyards(fenced in mind you). In a depression psych ward you get to get treated like a human being and not an animal like at regular hospital psych wards. They have a doctor meet with you everyday and there is workshops you can attend and support groups as well as leisure activities. The overall atmosphere is directed at getting one better, not locking them up like a criminal. If you are depressed and suicidal, I suggest asking your doctor for a depression ward and not just go to your local hospital's psych ward/prison.

I guess it's just different in America...we just have one 'type' of mental hospital and if you're in the under 18 wards it includes people with depression, drug problems - it's a catchall, not that the adult ones are much different. I think pretty much all modern day mental institutions have the list of things you described, I'm not aware of one without showers lol

AimeeSP

I was in the roehampton priory last year for a month. I went voluntary after having abit of a breakdown and after the first week couldn't stand it anymore so started saying i wanted to go home. 3 weeks later they couldn't keep me as i wasn't trying to harm myself in anyway and i wasn't sectioned, so home sweet home it was, yay. :D

Krankhaus

I was admitted three times, one for a nervous breakdown preceding two suicide attempts. Now I've just kind of given up on trying and try not to draw attention to myself when I'm feeling low so my family doesn't worry.
Edit; involuntarily

I was admitted three times, one for a nervous breakdown preceding two suicide attempts. Now I've just kind of given up on trying and try not to draw attention to myself when I'm feeling low so my family doesn't worry.
Edit; involuntarily

I can relate to that. I've learned to disguise my ways in fear of being sent back, or "evaluated".

Krankhaus

I can relate to that. I've learned to disguise my ways in fear of being sent back, or "evaluated".
Yeah, funny how whatever they think will help me seems to make me feel isolated and even worse. Most people I know who get admitted due to suicide attempts, eating disorders, self-harm or anything like that just learn to cover their tracks.

Yeah, funny how whatever they think will help me seems to make me feel isolated and even worse. Most people I know who get admitted due to suicide attempts, eating disorders, self-harm or anything like that just learn to cover their tracks.

So true.

I felt like in many ways the whole experience did more harm than good, I mean, in my case, why put a girl who tried to kill herself in with kids who have attempted/committed murder? Doesn't make much sense. But at the same time, I am sort of glad I went through it all because I was willing to do whatever it took to never have to go back. And in time I got past a lot of the issues, thought patterns and self destructive behavior that put me in there. But in the beginning it was definitely just learning to cover my tracks.

SilentType

Banned
Depression psych wards are usually much nicer, with couches, tv's, living rooms, showers, chapels, courtyards(fenced in mind you). In a depression psych ward you get to get treated like a human being and not an animal like at regular hospital psych wards. They have a doctor meet with you everyday and there is workshops you can attend and support groups as well as leisure activities. The overall atmosphere is directed at getting one better, not locking them up like a criminal.

Yeah Canada must be a bit different than the U.S. as far as mental health facilities go. The place I went to was at the hospital in my town and we had couches, tvs, telephones in our rooms, and we were never treated like prisoners at all. All the workers were extremely nice and all the people deemed to be a danger to others were kept in "solitary." The only thing bad about it was we couldn't go outside, although they used to let people outside for smoke breaks before they banned smoking on the hospital grounds altogether. For a couple weeks after I got out of the place, I actually considered going back because my parents were never leaving me alone thinking I was going to try to kill myself again, lol. The place was kind of nice, honestly. The group of people I was in there with was like a family though, even some of the workers commented on how close we were compared to a lot of other groups of people that go through there. I feel pretty lucky that way, bcuz I don't think I could have opened up to a bunch of real wackos ya know? lol. Anyways, yeah my 4 days in the hospital psych ward weren't bad and the funniest part was I got stoned with one of the people who work there the very night I was released haha. Apparently doctors don't mind pot smoking as much as I thought they do...

Peace

FOR REAL

Banned
i often wonder how far you have to go in the uk before being admitted to the phsyc ward. my friend has been admitted a few times but he kept trying to escape and so he was heavily sedated and cant remember much about it. (he was on suicide watch aswell)
ive had countless suicide attempts but they never lock me away. i must be the first person in history to be banned from a mental hospital!!
what is the next stage? sticking my head through a chemist shop window??

@silent type, im so glad your doing better, cause when i first joined spw i remember you were at the lowest of low
@everyone else, sorry you all have to go through all that