Mental Hospitals

Have you ever been admitted to a mental hospital?

• Yes.

Votes: 33 19.4%
  • No.

Votes: 137 80.6%

• Total voters

Asherah

twice as an inpatient (first time for about 3 months, second time for about 1,5 year), 3 times as an outpatient (2 times as aftercare)

DarkPhoenix

I haven't but i think my brother isn't far off from being sectioned, he has aspergers and his mental state has been going downhill for a while now :( I hear they still do electro convulsive therapy is this true?

Freeflex

I haven't but i think my brother isn't far off from being sectioned, he has aspergers and his mental state has been going downhill for a while now :( I hear they still do electro convulsive therapy is this true?
The UK does and some states in the USA do, but it is very rarely done. There's a very strong criteria for, I've actually heard it's helpful.. not that I want it done.

Anyways, I've never been to an actual mental hospital, but I've been 'voluntarily' committed on a locked psychiatric ward of a normal hospital where I was on level 3 observation (suicide watch) for three days. The police referred me to the ward after detaining me on a car park for attempted suicide. They say it's voluntary, but I had the choice between that and being placed on a Section 2 (involuntary hold). So lol, and I'd have to get permission if I wanted to leave the psych ward anyway, but it was easier than getting sectioned. I got let out after three days and formally discharged a week after.

There were some... er.. interesting people on that ward. It was a lovely place, really, didn't give the impression of a prison at all, which is what I was expecting. I wouldn't live in one, but there was quite a few things to stop you getting bored. There was a donated Nintendo 64 to play on, plenty of paper and pens/pencils to draw/write with, lots of magazines/books/comics/newspapers and a main TV, which was a nice one. I spent most of my time watching TV with the other patients. Didn't exactly have any independence, which annoyed me, but at least it wasn't too long.

Last edited:
Yes, I was admitted to the psych ward after having a violent adverse reaction to Paxil. I was taking it for depression and anxiety.

Most of the people in the psych ward were detoxing from various drug addictions. I realize mental illness and drug problems often go together, but they do have separate issues and should be addressed separately.

I still remember the people in there. The nurses, the claustrophobia, the paranoia and tracers brought on by new drugs given to me by the doctors.

It was interesting to watch the behavior of the people with depression. Most of them switched to public face mode and did the overly smiley happy routine, hugging everyone and wanting to listen to their problems.

The people detoxing mostly stuck to themselves. They seemed to be in a stupor.

We got breaks where we could go outside and nearly all of them smoked. I took up smoking at the psych ward, of all places. There was nothing else to do.

One guy in particular was heartbreaking. He was about my age; 19 at the time, kind and friendly. He'd been an athlete in school but had gotten addicted to crack and had become a skeleton. He and his girlfriend had a young son, and she didn't understand his issues. I wonder what he's doing now, if he's still alive.

I wonder about many of those people. They were like lost souls. People talk about hell, but sometimes I think we do our time here on earth, maybe we won't have to do it after we're gone.

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

^ that's such a heartbreaking story =[

I actually wish that I could go to a mental hospital, because i'm desperate for help and to have somebody finally focus on trying to help my problem. But i'm not actually suicidal, even though sometimes I wish I was... and I don't have the nerve to go to one without feeling embarrassed

lunarla

My counselor tried to get me into an adolescent mental health facility. I couldn't though because I'm 18, or somethin'. I never told her or let on to it, but I was actually kinda relieved by the notion. Anyway, that didn't happen. Since then I've considered voluntarily admitting myself to the hospital when my suicidal ideation has gotten kinda bad. I don't think I could do that though. I'd probably attempt before I put myself into a hospital, lol. I just don't know how they could help me besides like, "Soooooo... you want to kill yourself, hey?" Plus I'd feel like a dick for going to a hospital where people need immediate attention for other things.

IamThisOne

I've never been to, but sometimes I think it would be easier. Like I could live at one of those and not have to worry about the problems of life. Everything is provided for you. It's just like my brother and I say to each other sometimes, like jail wouldn't be that bad because they have to give you three meals a day and a place to stay. Seems like in a mental hospital you would get all that and more.

I remember going to a see my mother who was in a rehabilitation center for drugs when I was about nine. The place was a rehabilitation center and sort of a mental hospital. It's the same place Tiger Woods was rumored to have went for sex therapy a few months ago, I don't know if you heard about that in the tabloids.

Anyway, in there she had a nice room and stuff. The food wasn't that good and she told me about how they confiscated a bunch of items so you couldn't kill yourself. All in all I think it would be better to live there instead of dealing with the real world.

I say that but I guess if I had to stay there it would just turn out to be a prison and I would long to be free.

Angelhawk

The doc I was getting my meds from at the time, suggested that I have myself admitted to a clinic. I visited the place, didn't have a good first impression, and declined the suggestion.

panicsurvivor

Yes....... I have been to two actually. But it was just one time.
Sheriffs brought to the first one. And for reasons I would rather not say, I was transferred to another. It was not my most shining moment in life to say the least. But I did not stay long and I got to see that there were definately people that were worse of then me. I would say as a whole it was a learning expieriance, but a very unpleasant one.

moni10

I agree with Iamthisone.Maybe I'm not aware of what a mental hospital means but only the thought of being there calms me down. I'm sure there I would get rid of all my worries and fears, as I wouldn't have to deal with cruel people anymore.I feel I'd enjoy life much more than I do today.

Forgotten-Children

I have for 5 days. It was because I felt like a failure to my boyfriend and kept telling myself, if he breaks up up with me, I'll kill myself. We're still together but we're going through strains...