Male Hair Straightening...

InfraRecon

I am a heterosexual guy and I often straighten my hair. I began during my high school --> college (UK college, so not uni) transition where I finally got sick of having my hair short (I don't suit short hair and so I was often uncomfortable with my appearance) so it didn't get out of control.
The issue is that my hair is really wavy and hopeless to deal with (it never lies flat!!) and straightening it finally allowed me to at least feel like I looked a bit better. Nevertheless, the whole process of straightening and the time spent on personal image made me feel a little uncomfortable as I still feel as if it is quite feminine.

I'm just interested to know what girls, and guys for that matter, think of guys who straighten their hair?

*I used to straighten my hair every day (see Profile Picture), but now I have gingerly begun to embrace my hair in it's longer, wavy and curly state! (see picture of me with guitar)

Thanks in advance for anyone who throws their own two cents in ;)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I use Jheri Curl.

images

I don't really have a any feelings on straighteners either way. I'm too lazy to even brush my hair haha let alone straighten it, whatever makes you happy and feel confident, go with it.

Phoenixx

I think it's fine if you straighten your hair. I mean, if that's what you want and that's what makes you happy, then go for it.

Looking at your pictures, I like both hairstyles, and your curly mop is adorable. :) I understand how you can dislike your curliness. I have curly hair too and even though people tell me they like my curls, I absolutely detest how they never stay put, even with mousse and stuff in. They have a mind of their own. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear you don't straighten your hair everyday though. That's really damaging. Embrace your curls! I have been and I'm slowly learning to love them (I still have my "I hate my hair" days though). :)

vexatiousmind

I don't like my curly hair either. I don't straighten it a lot though, because it will get damaged.

However, I like wavy hair on guys, and I read on your page you wanted to get into the music industry. Rockstars always have awesome wavy/curly hair. ;)

InfraRecon

Jewel, Phoenixx, vexatiousmind - thanks for the input! I'm sure it is much more of a non-issue than I make it out to be! and thank you too Nathaniel - I might print off that picture and put it on my wall to remind me that things could always be worse. ....unless that person happens to be a beloved friend/ family member of yours in which case can I just say how beautiful he/ she truly is

Fanden

I did straighten my hair a few times when I was younger. It did look better. I have these weird and asymmetric curls. And I had rather long hair at that point.

I do not do it anymore, since I'm too lazy. Mostly I just shave it all off. Then I do not have to worry about my hair for a little while, and I look pretty badass :D.

If you like straightening your hair, then do it. People spend gazillions of hours doing their hair.

Have fun

drganon

My hair is weird. Its straight (and kind of wiry) to certain length but once it starts getting long,it starts to get wavy. So I'll have half straight, half wavy hair. That's why I gotta keep it relatively short otherwise I look stupid.

Aussie_Lad

OP: I have exactly the same problem, but have learned to live with it rather than use straighteners.

These days it is acceptable practice for men to use product in hair and do things with hair that traditionally only females would have done. When men go out, they often style their hair if they want to impress the ladies or just to look smart.

WeirdyMcGee

Whatever makes you feel better~ why not?

I'd straightened my boyfriend's hair before because he was curious what it would be like to have straight hair-- since it was very coarse and curly.
It makes a big difference, eh?
My hair is a wavy mess unless I let it grow to my waist- then the weight of itself makes it straight but the colour is ridiculous. My roots are black, as it gets longer, it's blond and red so unless I dye it all brown- it looks like I was bleaching my hair for years or like I just walked out of a circus tent. haha

I don't see what's wrong with guys straightening their hair or using products... afterall, all those standards are already there for girls, right?
I think alot of guys don't think about that.
There shouldn't be any rule saying 'all girls should do this' or 'all guys should do this' - if everyone was the same, the world would be a very boring place.
So, straighten your hair all you want- grow it long, chop it off, dye it crazy colours, get highlights--- hell, wear makeup if you're into it!
Do whatever makes you happy.

Waybuloo

I really like looking at childrens hair because they often have wavy hair, and it just looks so natural. I think lots of women straighten their hair because it's 'fashionable' or whatever. I think if you are born wavy, it's best to leave it. There is nothing more attractive than looking the way you are supposed to look. I've seen people with wavy hair who straighten it and it didn't look good.

Most men wear deodorant and cologn, some trim their hairs or shave, some even wear foundation. Some guys dye their hair as well, so you're not doing anything out of the ordinary (given the norm these days), so don't worry.