Losing weight board

Metal_isthe_Answer

I don't recall ever seeing a thread about losing weight or trying to lose weight, so I thought maybe the people on this board could share ideas or some personal success tips.
So here's a little about me and what I did to lose some of my weight.
In high school I was 310 lbs, now I'm 220 lbs. I got a suggestion from my doctor that some people have had success by lowering their salt intake. Once I started eating less salt (and adding no salt to anything) I did indeed start losing weight.
I also drink as little sodas as possible (sticking with water or juice), I don't eat fast food or fried food (I actually do but it's just extremely rare, less than once a month), and I just generally cut down on how much I eat. I don't get a very large work out but I was on my feet for 8 hours a day at work, now I'm unemployed but I walk to school (about an hour a day total).

Also on a personal note, does anybody have suggestions for healthier meals, specifically ones that would be good for picky eaters? There a lot of foods I don't like (such as lettuce, tomatoes etc..) making healthy eating very hard to do.

sphynx

I've had a weight problem for years. Tried eating healthy - didn't help much. Tried gym - not enough motivation. But then I found a gym that actually pays me for each workout, as long as I stick to a predefined schedule, and if I miss a workout, I pay a large fine. Does wonders for motivation. This way, without even trying or changing my eating habits I lost 26 pounds in 12 months and I don't intend to stop there. I also made a net profit of about $5000.
Okay, so it's not really a gym. It's actually a cleaning company and I work there part time cleaning offices and staircases (in addition to my primary job as a programmer), but the idea is the same - only the exercises are a bit different. Also, I'm doing a valuable service instead of wasting energy for nothing - that helps psychologically as well.

SCP-087-1

I've been trying to eat healthy and exercise more in order to lose a bit of fat and build some muscles. I want some fast food so bad right now.

MikeyC

I've had a weight problem for years. Tried eating healthy - didn't help much. Tried gym - not enough motivation. But then I found a gym that actually pays me for each workout, as long as I stick to a predefined schedule, and if I miss a workout, I pay a large fine. Does wonders for motivation. This way, without even trying or changing my eating habits I lost 26 pounds in 12 months and I don't intend to stop there. I also made a net profit of about $5000.
Okay, so it's not really a gym. It's actually a cleaning company and I work there part time cleaning offices and staircases (in addition to my primary job as a programmer), but the idea is the same - only the exercises are a bit different. Also, I'm doing a valuable service instead of wasting energy for nothing - that helps psychologically as well.
I was genuinely curious about a gym that pays you to exercise there, and I was about to wonder how I could get it on that. Well crafted. ;)

Eat, drink chocolate milk and be merry.
Yeah, if I could replace my blood with chocolate milk, I would be pretty happy!

I am also trying to lose weight, though. Down from nearly 96kg to 92kg now, so while it's not a big loss, it's enough to notice better-fitting pants. :)

LoyalXenite

Okay, so it's not really a gym.

You had me really impressed with this gym, I was like thats a damn good motivator!.. :giggle:

I have had weight issues since I was a very young child, Im currently ridiculously overweight, luckily Im a decent height so I dont tend to look just as obese as I actually am.

At the moment Im at the worst weight I've ever been, a hefty 135kgs (298lbs). Oddly though I generally dont eat that badly or that large a portion. Since uni stress and such I've eaten a bit more junk, but prior to that it was a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a banana or sandwich for lunch and soup or mi goreng for dinner. With toast or cereal as snacks. Not great, but nothing really salty, no soft drinks, all I drink is water or milk, no fast food or junk food.

Although tonight I did decide to get fast food coz I've been feeling shitty. I have a big problem with emotional eating- I either stuff my face with shitty foods or I dont eat at all for a few days based on how emotional (or what emotion) I am.

I also have PCOS which makes losing weight really hard, but doesnt do the same for gaining weight unfortunately. But I am hoping to do something about the weight issues, cutting out the toast/cereal snack (or limiting it to one a day) and actually getting off my butt and exercising now that im not in Uni.

WeirdyMcGee

I recently started a new med that tends to be a mega weight-gainer for people who eat carbs.

... so, I cut out carbs-- which for me; means that I am going to starve myself for 2 weeks of the month when my money runs out to guy fresh produce.
Anyway-- I would like to be able to eat every day AND to exercise.

I am 150lbs right now and would really like to be back down closer to my college weight of 128.

Is it impossible? haha

weigh it off

I want to lose just a bit of weight right now too. I don't know if I would feel better or healthier with the aid of weight loss, but maybe it is worth a try? I'm currently 126 pounds or so right now which isn't terrible for my height, but I wouldn't mind being thinner. I want to to be able to get to 120. I don't even know what I would look like below a weight of 120, but maybe 110-115 would be even better for my height and build? I don't know if it's possible for me either. I love food way too damn much! Junk food... I love and hate it.

I also want to start exercising more, I have been neglecting it lately :/. I usually go to yoga 5x a week. but since I wasn't home lately I haven't done done it in over a week now. I also need to start hiking, or just walking more. The biggest issue with this is that it is nearly impossible to get yourself motivated with the constant cloud of hopelessness created by depression and anxiety. Maybe I should go by measurements rather than weight, but I don't want to become too obsessive. I already am a bit obsessed and impaired by guilt over calories and what not. I want to be able to do it though, lose weight. Not even too much. Even a few pounds seemingly being impossible to lose is disheartening though, as is finding the motivation to exercise sufficiently.

We can all do this though can't we? I sure hope so :)

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Most cases of weight gain are a simple cause of too much energy intake and not enough energy expenditure.
The body will store that unused energy as fat. (Its a survival mechanism).
Too much energy dense food and too much of a sedentary lifestyle leads to being obese.

If you're serious about losing weight, consume less energy, and become more active on a daily basis.

There is no magic bullet. No magic pill for sustained long term success. Diets lead to failure. But a positive change in LIFESTYLE is the correct recipe for success.

*8 years as a qualified gym instructor, natural bodybuilder and fitness instructor, helping people achieve their weight loss/gain goals*

Hoppy

I've now managed to lose 43 kg/ 93 lbs in the last 18 months. Mostly by following Primal/Paleo/ Whole30 eating plans.

And a little bit of exercise.

The best description of weight-loss I've read: It is like playing chess. The basic moves for everyone is the same, eat less, move more, reduce sugar etc.

But everyone's game is different. Your environment, the people you live with, your income all affects the way you implement these.

The most difficult part is to get a combination of things that works for you. And once you have found it, stick to it.

And do baby steps. It is amazing how far small steps can bring you.