Local Legends, Folk Tales

Tiercel

Another thread about the paranormal made me think of this one. Are there any interesting myths, legends, or folk tales where you live? Maybe real-life events that happened a long time ago? Share them with us!

Since I grew up in New Jersey, and southern New Jersey at that, I've been hearing about the Jersey Devil my entire life. You can read the link for more info.

Unfortunately I still have yet to see it myself.... :)

LostViking

We have buckets of old legends and stuff here in Norway, many of them are shared with other scandinavian and the germanic part of Europe though (albeit with slight differences from country to country). Few of these legends live on though, and they are rather a part of the cultural heritage than ghost stories kids get told today.

Nøkken
Draugen
Troll
Huldra
Kraken

NormanBates

As you may or may not know, there were many battles fought here in the 1800's especially in my part of Texas. There are lots of old Spanish missions that were used both as a fort, and as a place to forcibly convert Native Americans. A lot of these places are reputed to be haunted. We heard lots of these tales in school. (I don't know why teachers were so interested in scaring us) but one teacher I had in particular used to talk about a mission in Goliad (which is now a museum) where the night guards kept quitting their jobs because they kept seeing apparitions of monks and other ghosts dressed in old-time clothing. Some were bloodied or even had eyes gouged out!

The rest of the stuff that is familiar to me would be things like "the black hand" , "La chusa" , "chupacabra" "the crying woman"

LostViking

Forgot about the ghost in Nidarosdomen, the cathedral here in town, of course. There's said to be a monk wandering around and singing psalms there at night.

And not far from my house is the local Museum of Justice. Cell 11 is supposed to be haunted by a judge, who after his death understood he had sentenced a young man to rot in this cell for a long time, the prisoner took his own life. Unknown whether it's haunted because the judge is being punished, or because he has decided to pay for what he did to the innocent man. If it's true though, of course.

Then there's the Colonel, who's more of a friendly ghost. He spends his time haunting a tavern, screwing around with the lights and moving the furniture around.

There's another museum (for ships and stuff I think), where people have observed a ghost presumably from a slave murdered on the second floor in the 1800s.

And then there's one haunting one of the malls and other nearby buildings in the middle of town.

Still though, few of them reach the level of fame ghosts do in other countries. Only knew about the monk before I looked into things actually. It's hard to explain the norwegian attitude towards ghosts and other supernatural stuff. I think we're very used to "respecting" things as the Draug for their value as cultural heritage. And thus most ghosts that are observed are usually connected to buildings and events with some sort of historical value.

Another thing is that the ghosts seldom seem to be dreadful or gory, missing limbs or leaving trails of blood and that sort of thing. When observed they seem to hold the opinion that their appearance and disappearance is enough to convey the message they want to send.

For the record I've never seen a ghost, and consider myself merely a curious skeptic. :p

Ashiene

Pontianak (folklore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Pontianak is a type of vampire in Malay folklore, similar to the Langsuir. Pontianak are women who died during childbirth and became undead, seeking revenge and terrorizing villages.

In folklore, Pontianak usually announces its presence through baby cries or turn themselves into beautiful lady and frighten or kill the unlucky who enter or pass through their vicinity. It usually diguises itself as a beautiful young lady to attract its victim (usually male). Its presence sometimes can be detected by a nice floral fragrance of the ‘kemboja’ (a type of flower) followed by an awful stench afterwords. The distance of a pontianaks cries are very tricky. The Malays believe that if the cry is soft means that the pontianak is near and if it is loud then it must be far.

A Pontianak kills its victims by digging into their stomachs with its sharp fingernails and devouring their organs. Pontianaks must feed in this manner in order to survive. In some cases where the Pontianak desires revenge against a male individual, it rips out the sex organs with its hands. It is believed that Pontianaks locate prey by sniffing out clothes left outside to dry. For this reason, some Malays refuse to leave any object of clothing outside.

People believe that having a sharp object like a nail helps them fend off potential attacks by Pontianak, the nail being used to plunge a hole at the back of the Pontianak's neck. It is believed that when a nail is plunged into the back of a Pontianak's neck, she will turn into a beautiful woman, until the nail is pulled off again. The Indonesian twist on this is plunging the nail into the apex of the head of the kuntilanak.

Pontianak is associated with banana trees, and its spirit is said to reside in them during the day.

Some people believe that if you hear a dog howling that means that the pontianak is far away. But if a dog is whining that means the pontianak is nearby.

Pontianaks are a common sighting in Singapore, which is just beside Malaysia.

Rodox

Saci
Saci (Brazilian folklore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazon River Dolphin(boto in portuguese)
In a traditional Amazon River myth, at night an Amazon River Dolphin becomes a handsome young man who seduces girls,[5] impregnates them, then returns to the river in the morning to become an Amazon River Dolphin again. This dolphin shapeshifter is called an encantado. It has been suggested that the myth arose partly because dolphin genitalia bear a resemblance to that of humans.[6] In the local area, there are also tales that it is bad luck to kill an Amazon River Dolphin. Legend also states that if a person makes eye contact with an Amazon River Dolphin, that person will have nightmares for the rest of his or her life.
Amazon River Dolphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Momotarō
Momotar? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lea

Banned
Amazon River Dolphin(boto in portuguese)
In a traditional Amazon River myth, at night an Amazon River Dolphin becomes a handsome young man who seduces girls,[5] impregnates them, then returns to the river in the morning to become an Amazon River Dolphin again. This dolphin shapeshifter is called an encantado. It has been suggested that the myth arose partly because dolphin genitalia bear a resemblance to that of humans.[6] In the local area, there are also tales that it is bad luck to kill an Amazon River Dolphin. Legend also states that if a person makes eye contact with an Amazon River Dolphin, that person will have nightmares for the rest of his or her life.

Yes I know this tale. I wonder what all kind of shit people come up with :rolleyes:.

WeirdyMcGee

aha! I'm watching Cropsey right now, so I thought I'd see if there was a thread for urban legends/ cautionary tales~ and there is!

Although I won't say where I grew up, I will describe a couple of the urban legends that I grew up hearing.

Out on the reserve, there were 'Ghost Bears'- said to be the departed souls of the natives who'd been tortured and killed after a raid on their village by the white man.
There was a curfew on the reserve that said- anyone with mixed blood had to stay indoors after dark or they would be hunted by the Ghost Bears and mauled to death.
I don't think I heard of anyone getting mauled by a bear on the reserve before but I always thought it was strange that there was an actual curfew not for age but for race.
I don't think it was actually enforced, though...

Also, on the reserve there was a large ruined building. It was one of the first factories built in the area back when the 'logging' business was booming.
The ruins were pretty much 3 crumbled stone walls, half a stone staircase and one stained glass window that looked like it hadn't been touched.
Legend said that a hundred years ago the building was put onto reservation soil against the will of the clans who lived in the area; so one night, a group of teenagers from one of the clans set fire to the building with several workers still in it.
The workers burned to death and a month later, the teenagers who'd caused the fire- committed suicide, in fear of the spirits from the building coming after them to extract their revenge.
The stained glass window appeared on the top of the building on one of the walls that didn't crumble and it's been there ever since-- with what looks like the image of 3 boys, hanging by the neck.
Creepy, right?
The ruins were where the highschoolers held all of their bush parties; always in hopes of getting a glance of a spirit or a hanging boy.

Last one I'll share:
There is an area out on the bay where many ships had sank. One of those ships carried several pregnant women, going to meet their husbands-who'd come home from the war.
So, as the legend goes; if you are pregnant and you go out to that area after dark, you will be dragged down to join the other women who'd drowned there years ago.
In the time that I'd lived there- I had actually heard of a woman who'd just found out she was pregnant with twins- drown in that area while she was visiting her cottage.
Then again... there were plenty of cottagers who know nothing about water safety-- and many drownings of people of all ages; so I guess it was a coincidence? Or maybe her soul is trapped at the bottom of the bay?