Living Mindfully

sahxox

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

Any tips/experiences with mindulness?

Froggy246

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

Any tips/experiences with mindulness?

What a great quote. The present is indeed a magical place, like a star gate to another dimension. There's nothing to ever worry about in the present, everything is much more manageable plus you miss an awful lot when thoughts are in the past or future. It's soo hard to stay in the present though! Training the monkey mind and all that, however even a few minutes a day can lead to some pretty good results I've found. Being mindful when walking is a good one, feeling the legs moving one after the other, feeling the ground beneath the feet etc...

Capsaicin

Anxiety hasn't necessarily been about the future for me. It's also been ruminating on what I may have missed, what may have slipped past me, and how I might interpret the present.

Lao Tsu wrote of many things, but anxiety disorders were never one of them as far as I know. The works of his that I've read have been political or social philosophy, and would apply more to normal anxieties.

hardy

mindfulness is helpful if u r watching with acceptance. If you want things to change...u r not mindful, u r doing an exercise to change things. When u r watching ....catch ur self when there is an expectation.

watch things carefully....mind is so full of. The trick is watching things like its not ours....then we are at a distance from all the pain and can see things clearly. Not easy....try...and when u have doubts, go to a person who is good at mindfulness.

Being mindful is a concept I've always loved but could never seem to fully execute. If I were able to I would share tips :/

I can recommend a website though... maybe you've already heard of it, as it's very popular --> zenhabits.net

Some great posts there, if you look through the archives you might find something helpful :)

sahxox

Thanks for the replies and links :)
There's nothing to ever worry about in the present, everything is much more manageable plus you miss an awful lot when thoughts are in the past or future. It's soo hard to stay in the present though! Training the monkey mind and all that, however even a few minutes a day can lead to some pretty good results I've found. Being mindful when walking is a good one, feeling the legs moving one after the other, feeling the ground beneath the feet etc...

So true! I like this; it's so easy to take the 'all or none' approach. I should try and be mindful for even an hour a day... in the sense I'm not stressing about anyone/what they 'think', but focusing on what needs to be done and enjoying it. Time is so temporary, people come and go. How not to get emotionally caught up? The social phobic mind has a way of construing truths in favour of negative, until they become a fictitious realm of horror. :/ Just our hand in life. If we could conquer our minds, we could do anything.

R3K

hmm, I like this concept, but it can also be like a drug, and you can easily become lost in this middle path while the unexamined past floats away and disappears from your grasp. and the unforeseen future arrives and passes.. unexamined :question:.

hardy

It does help. I don't practice it enough.

how do you it helps if you don't practice? Not trying to insult you...but one should be a little discreet in giving answers to an anxiety sufferer. Don' you think?

I know the movie raging bull is liked by many, but i don't like such violent movies. Just because it's a cult hit doesn't mean it works for everyone.

hardy

Most of the people will say mindfulness is good....but very very few tell how to practice mindfulness....cause very few do it. Go to them...not the people who keep saying it's good for health....blah, blah.

A true mindfulness practitioner only can help you in learning it the right way.Be very careful when people give advice. Believe it only when it works for you.

Trishanku

Being mindful is a concept I've always loved but could never seem to fully execute. If I were able to I would share tips :/

I can recommend a website though... maybe you've already heard of it, as it's very popular --> zenhabits.net

Some great posts there, if you look through the archives you might find something helpful :)

I love zenhabits.net and there are two more website which I use one is tinybuddha and another steve pavalina

Now on being Mindful, one of the most effective way to increase your focus and awareness is through food. The way in which we respect this important activity of the day makes a lot of difference.

According to ayurveda and Yogic sciences. Food is generally classified into three types those are Sedative, Stimulants and then there are foods of lighter nature. sentient foods. Sentient foods increase clarity and sharpness of the mind. here Sattvic diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

any practitioner of midnfulness is supposed to observe some basic percepts.. among them Noble-Silence is one of them. It is suggested when Eating food one should not talk, not have distraction like any electronics or any such hinderences for the practise of mindfulness.

The way in which we respect our Food influences our mindfulness and awareness. So this is one of the simplest method to increase ones mindfulness which I have come across and practice.

Last edited:

Ithior

The book "The Power of Now" addresses this. I quite liked the first half of the book, the second not so much since it was about situations not applicable to me.

I think there's a bunch of exercises to do to stay in the present in a side-book (called something like The Power of Now: exercises), might get that soon.

Rumplestiltskin

"Being mindful" sounds like an appealing concept, but I've never been able to understand what it means.

In what ways should focusing on the present help when you actually hate your present? Also, how can you not worry about the future when you know almost for certain that it's going to be painful?

Trishanku

"Being mindful" sounds like an appealing concept, but I've never been able to understand what it means.

In what ways should focusing on the present help when you actually hate your present? Also, how can you not worry about the future when you know almost for certain that it's going to be painful?

By being mindful you can actually see why you hate your present and why you worry about your future and there by change the way you react to such feelings and sensations happening in the present that have roots way deep in your conscious and sub-conscious parts of your mind.

'Being Mindful' helps by providing you helpful insights into yourself. there by enabling you the power to change how you react to a given situation. Only when we are not mindful, we tend to react to events unaware of what's happening within ourselves there by creating sensations and feelings of powerlessness, hopelessness, frustration, hate, worry, anxiety, distress, fear, sadness, anger, confusion etc., again these are just fleeting sensations and feelings which are impermanent in nature. Mindfulness makes you become aware of the nature of such feelings and the impermanence of these feelings. Same is true to the opposite sensations and feelings of Pleasure, craving, absolute power, etc.,

It takes lots(Not all about how much time) of practice to get empowered, to be in control of your present. which ultimately leads to peacefulness with past, present and future. It connects one to consciousness, consciousness in all its planes. Mindfulness puts you in control of how you feel about Life. We all seek happiness, bliss. true experience of happiness and bliss comes through being mindful or one truly be happy and in bliss only by being mindful.

Last edited:

Kiwong

how do you it helps if you don't practice? Not trying to insult you...but one should be a little discreet in giving answers to an anxiety sufferer. Don' you think?

I know the movie raging bull is liked by many, but i don't like such violent movies. Just because it's a cult hit doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I do practice mindfulness, but not enough, I should practice it more. I recommend it to anxiety sufferers without hesitation.

As I mentioned to the moderators I don't like the tone of your post. I think you could read posts more carefully, don't you think?

Good luck I won't be reading anymore of your posts.