Living Mindfully

Rumplestiltskin

By being mindful you can actually see why you hate your present and why you worry about your future and there by change the way you react to such feelings and sensations happening in the present that have roots way deep in your conscious and sub-conscious parts of your mind.
What if I told you that I already know why I hate my present and why I worry about my future with no need at all to look that deep inside myself?

Seriously, I like reading about meditation and I'm sure it is quite a beneficial activity when practised by normal people living normal lives. However, when everything around you is an utter mess, meditation just won't solve any problems per se and in the end you'll still be feeling as unhappy and agitated as you were from the very beginning.

jaim38

Seriously, I like reading about meditation and I'm sure it is quite a beneficial activity when practised by normal people living normal lives. However, when everything around you is an utter mess, meditation just won't solve any problems per se and in the end you'll still be feeling as unhappy and agitated as you were from the very beginning.

Exactly. Meditation is not a "solve-all" tool. When I meditate say for 9 minutes, I get 9 minutes of peace. After that, it's back to the real world again, back to the chaos and utter mess.

hardy

Exactly. Meditation is not a "solve-all" tool. When I meditate say for 9 minutes, I get 9 minutes of peace. After that, it's back to the real world again, back to the chaos and utter mess.
Dear,

Meditation is not about sitting for 20 minutes and expecting to be happy afterwards.

Buddha said be alert(mindful) in every posture and at all times. Heedlessness will lead to suffering. But for a beginner it's impossible to sit and not react to the present moment. If you have anxiety disorder, more so.....I find it torture if i have to meditate for long times. Hence start small.

We think meditation is about changing things....in fact it is about being okay with the reality and seeing the real true nature of things(mind n body)....many meditation teachers advice to avoid meditation if you expect to get over anxiety problems. From my experience if this is used as a way to overcome phobia/fear, it will have adverse affects.

Please be careful....go to a very very good meditator and learn from him/her. There are too many things that can go wrong if done without help, especially in the beginning.

May we come out of this suffering....

Last edited:

planetweirdo

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
If you are anxious you are living in the future.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

I'm always anxious because I think about the future too much. I always imagine the worst possible thing happening.

Trishanku

AS a beginner the divide between the time in 'real world' and the time spent while meditating can be two different worlds. but as the practice gets better both will merge into one peaceful state.

Last edited:

Trishanku

What if I told you that I already know why I hate my present and why I worry about my future with no need at all to look that deep inside myself?

Then Meditation is not for you, Just like me you have to face your hatred, your problems, Utter mess,Unhappiness, agitation. Our only solution and solace is in facing them head on and not getting beaten by them. 2 years back I found a very Interesting meditation practice. very simple yet powerful. I registered four time and all four times I could not attend and learn that technique, why? Exactly because, my present is too overwhelming for me to sit and dive inwards.

I even discussed about the technique so passionately with my therapist. my therapist was really happy to see me talk so passionately about something at all. But, he suggested me not to meditate at all. I tried convincing him, even tried to learn without telling him. But i just couldn't do it. Instead he wants me to face my resistance and pain that I feel in life. which is anxiety, worries etc., by getting busy socially, physically etc.,

May be meditation is not for people like you and me. But 'Meditation' is a generic name given by laymen like me may be for many different ways, techniques, types of practices out there. What suites one, may not suite the other. so there are so many types of meditation. you may keeps searching till you find the right one.

people are of two types ones who dive inwards and the ones who are outward (By that I don't mean people who show off, its not that). just like introverts and extroverts. The meditation for an Introvert might be an extroverted one and for an extroverted it could be introverted method of meditation or may be entirely different. no amount of reading will be sufficient to destroy your pain and suffering unless you practice.

I'd like to share one piece of practical solution to be suffering free

Regulated in nourishment, recreation. Regulated in habits, performing duties/work for self maintenance. Regulated in sleep and wakefullness(early to bed and early to rise) also Right dreams(goals, ambitions) that shall awaken you is verily Yoga destroyer of Suffering.

-B.G 6/17

May you be happy!

Last edited:
But 'Meditation' is a generic name given by laymen like me may be for many different ways, techniques, types of practices out there. What suites one, may not suite the other. so there are so many types of meditation. you may keeps searching till you find the right one
Today i have been mindful of how meditation affects me. "Meditation" in my mind, can be almost anything you do, which allows the mind to escape the past & future (ie to get "lost" in the present moment). Even tv can be meditation if you can "lose" yourself in it fully. Currently my choice is simply laying in bed listening to fine classical-instrumental music; this is all i am capable of at present, due to my depression (just shows that there are "meditation" options, even for those in the most poor/dire of circumstances, or who find it really hard to "relax" enough to do "proper" meditation).

And it is quite interesting what i have found, via many hours of just laying in bed, listening to my music:
• Whenever my mind is "lost in the moment" (ie focussed on the peace/beauty/etc of the music & a few other minor sensory), there is no pain (the pain completely vanishes for a time), only peace remains
• Occasionally also, the suffering significantly diminshes (or vanishes), it seems, if i am able to "get to" a deep-rooted belief. I believe that worrisome thoughts of past & future cause their real damage (ie inflict emotional pain) if they trigger irrational beliefs related to them

So my general plan for now, is to "meditate" whenever my mood/energy is low (gentle classical music). And i also try to uncover deep-rooted irrational beliefs, if i am able (i just keeping thinking & thinking about whatever pops-up .. which i have allowed the time & "space" to occur). This is a very basic plan, but is all i'm capable of right now.
What i also want to do, when energy allows, is perhaps to buy/do a course which addresses/changes one's core beliefs. I believe thoughts in general, is the way to go, to get out of a "rut", and to go from failure to success.
And perhaps investigate various "trickier" types of meditation?

Not quite sure where "Mindfulness" fits in yet, and how it relates to meditation. In Tolle's book, mindfulness appears to be a form of meditating (focussing) on the sensations of the "inner body"?.

Trishanku

Not quite sure where "Mindfulness" fits in yet, and how it relates to meditation. In Tolle's book, mindfulness appears to be a form of meditating (focussing) on the sensations of the "inner body"?.

Mindfulness as the very name suggests and as i have understood is exactly what Tolle's book says it is about 'observing the sensations'.

mismeek

I agree with this.. i feel that we should try to take everything one step at a time..

unless you're in grad school.. then you're screwed