Lets post our small victories

Bloir

I bought today a water bottle and when boy gave me the rest of money i said, how much money does it cost? Because i normally dont look the changing by embarrasment to do something wrong like counting

we_r_eternal

i hear that!! i do the exact same thing when strangers sit down next to me on the bus! it drives me crazy!! my small victory is simply being involved with this forum as i have to go to our public library to use the computer because i live so far in the country we have no internet access!! and the public library is a place that makes me on edge really bad!! hooray for me!!

MaliceInWickedland

Earlier today I went out for a stroll at the local park and on the trail that curves through it there are benches every now and then. So I was walking by and there was this very attractive guy who looked a tad older than me who was sitting by himself on a bench reading a book and as I was getting closer he looked up and caught me staring and I could have sworn he blushed. We smiled at each other shyly and I kept walking. I felt like he was still staring at me as I walked away...

I feel victorious but at the same time I feel at loss because I regret not sitting next to him and chatting with him. That would have been really awkward for the both of us though, huh? ::(:

Oh well, at least he noticed me. That's more than enough to make my heart smile :D

Luke1993

Went to the cinema, bought popcorn and a drink, the guy was trying to presure me into getting large (so paying more) but I stuck to my guns felt like I was on fire but I kept saying no and eventually I won.

VICTOOOORIIIIEEEEEEEEE!

hoddesdon

I received my certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) in the mail a day or two ago.

I had to complete a number of hours of practice teaching. The first two lessons were a predictable disaster. In the first lesson the assessor had to step in. At that stage I wondered whether it really were possible, and thought about quitting.

However, I continued and did not act on my negative, self-defeating thoughts. By the third lesson I got some positive scores, and very nearly passed the whole thing on the fourth lesson alone. Improvement continued, although the two assessors made the same points but assigned a different weight to them. Unfortunately the one who gave greater weight to presentation assessed two-thirds of them.

By the time of the last lesson I had acquired some self-endorsement. Unfortunately the institution did not schedule any further practice lessons. After some stone-walling, discretion was used to pass me on the fourth lesson, in which I had almost passed everything in one go.

That I did not find completely satisfactory, so I did two lessons (four hours) in place of someone who could not make their scheduled practice lesson. They were not formally assessed, so they were completely solo. That has added to my feeling of self-endorsement.

So, not done in a completely standard way. It took a long time because of all the delays. Nevertheless, by not acting on my negative, self-defeating thoughts, I validated that part of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) about challenging thoughts, and sticking with things so that anxiety reduces over time. Also, I did not act on my feeling of doom after the first lesson and create a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is another aspect of CBT - you do not know until you try. Then you can decide whether it really was so bad after all. What feels true is not necessarily true if put to the test.

So this experience validates the part of CBT about challenging thoughts and putting things to the test.

This shows that your reach can exceed your grasp.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I finally made it to the second floor of the library. It was so easy, I don't know what I was worried about.

MaliceInWickedland

My godmother was being a real b**** to my mom earlier and I finally grew the femmeballs to step in and tell her off. I don't think she'll be bothering us again anytime soon. Knowing that alone is a great relief for the both of us.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Spoke clearly and audibly on the phone with a stranger for 6 minutes, and didn't freak out the 30 seconds I didn't.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Ok so...

I am finally able to make phone calls at work. I no longer have to hide or pretend I have something to do in the garage to make phone calls. I can't believe I finally got over that stupid problem. Ok I still go hide somewhere when I know it's going to be a complicated call but that's a detail.

...It took me 3 years. :sarcastic:

mixedupgirl

Ok so...

I am finally able to make phone calls at work. I no longer have to hide or pretend I have something to do in the garage to make phone calls. I can't believe I finally got over that stupid problem. Ok I still go hide somewhere when I know it's going to be a complicated call but that's a detail.

:applause: Hey well done!

I went to a meditation class and had to choose a photo from a selection on a table as did everyone else but then to my surprise I had to show it to everyone in the room and explain why I chose it and how it made me feel. :eek: Surprisingly I did well and sounded cool as a cucumber or so I was told, even though before my turn I was absolutely sh.ittin it and my heart felt like it was going to explode! Wahey go me :applause:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
^Well done to you too. I hate, HATE when you think you are safely anonymous in a group and then they ask everyone to say something one after another. :eek:

Kiwong

Ok so...

Well done Pacific, progress in a very real battle. :thumbup: