'It's the quiet ones you want to watch..'

Emily_G

I've always thought this saying was about something sexual. Like the quiet girls are freakier than the loud, super sexy ones. Am I totally off? Lol!

coyote

I've always thought this saying was about something sexual. Like the quiet girls are freakier than the loud, super sexy ones. Am I totally off? Lol!

That's true, too!

(at least from my experience)

Last edited:
I've always hated this saying. Have you?
Its basically saying all shy people are weired when its not true.
I've known people loud and happy, popular and then the next thing you know they have commited suicide. That happened with a boy at my school.

I hate this too, whoever came up with this were hypocrits!!

xSleepy

I never really cared about that saying. I mean, I didn't always see it as a bad thing. And one of my teachers who was sorta a family friend, said that to me one time. I actually thought it was funny.

I guess I can see it as a bad and good saying. Bad for the obvious reasons that everyone on here has mentioned. But also kinda good. Like - watch out for the quiet ones. They might surprise you one day, in a good way, by doing something you don't expect them to do.

I think this saying comes from the fact that a lot of the most famous serial killers were described as being quiet.

That goes without saying.. I mean, I seldom heard of serial killers who shout "I'm going to kill a random person in the next hour!!!!" in public.

NinjaLikesToast

I never really minded it. It's just a silly saying, so I try not to let it get to me much.
The saying that makes me "upset" I guess you could say, is "Nice guys finish last"

secretly awesome

Yeah, the popular quarterback/captain of the football team in my high-school had a gorgeous gf and hanged himself in his parents garage.

I hate that saying, too. Some people talk alot without saying much.

bigrob

I have a different view on it.

As a "people watcher" and former bouncer, the big mouths are the one's that worry me the least. Usually they are all talk.

Meanwhile someone like me, quiet, sitting, watching.....I would watch those guys a little closer. When you are stalking the flock you want to blend in and not not noticed.

Also, it's like a volcano. The one's that always blow off steam are not quite as bad as the ones that build up over time and then explode violently.

I no longer bounce, but between weights and fight training I still blow off the steam.

Bama_Heath

I had someone say something like this tonight to me. I was hanging out with about 20 people and one guy was messing with his girlfriend about something he hid from her that she could not find. He 'jokingly' put the blame on me like 'it was him that hid it...you know you have to watch the quite ones'. I have to really pat myself on the back because I instantly wanted to throttle the guy but kept my emotions in check. Yeah I have an anger problem. But I hate when I get labeled as the 'quite guy'.

lyricalliaisons

I absolutely hate it. People who are quiet &/or reclusive are always viewed negatively. I had to this group therapy thing for a while two years ago & while in the group one day, people started talking about people who are quiet & always stick to themselves & said "Those are the ones you always have to watch out for." & then everyone began a discussion about how this type of person is always a serial killer or sociopath. I was sitting right there in the group & they knew I was there for social anxiety/agoraphobia & that they were basically talking about me. They were basically calling me a serial killer to my face. It really hurt my feelings & upset me, but because I'm always afraid to say anything, I didn't stick up to defend myself.

Bama_Heath

I absolutely hate it. People who are quiet &/or reclusive are always viewed negatively. I had to this group therapy thing for a while two years ago & while in the group one day, people started talking about people who are quiet & always stick to themselves & said "Those are the ones you always have to watch out for." & then everyone began a discussion about how this type of person is always a serial killer or sociopath. I was sitting right there in the group & they knew I was there for social anxiety/agoraphobia & that they were basically talking about me. They were basically calling me a serial killer to my face. It really hurt my feelings & upset me, but because I'm always afraid to say anything, I didn't stick up to defend myself.

I have never understood where people get this misconception from because a majority of serial/sociopath people are not the 'quite' type. They are outgoing and charming and that is how they lure people into traps and prey on them. Basic study on the subject will reveal that. One thing that will never change is that people don't think before they speak and just repeat stereotypical catchphrases with no regards as to how they will affect other people's feelings.

jco3

Yeah, this quote always gets me riled up. I feel like it's just a way for people who are "talkers" to have something to talk and bond over. I do understand why someone would say this, though. It is difficult to gauge how a person really is when they don't talk...

Just know that this isn't some kind of rule of life, just something people say, and usually in passing, too.

jco3

I have never understood where people get this misconception from because a majority of serial/sociopath people are not the 'quite' type. They are outgoing and charming and that is how they lure people into traps and prey on them. Basic study on the subject will reveal that. One thing that will never change is that people don't think before they speak and just repeat stereotypical catchphrases with no regards as to how they will affect other people's feelings.

Exactly, sociopaths are extremely charming. There mire likely to be the ones saying, "You gotta look out for the shy ones, they'll kill ya in your sleep!" Then next thing you know you're dead. That charming guy just killed you.

I've been watching too many movies lately...