It's official. I'm retarded.

schist

I failed my 4th go at my driving test this morning. It's f**ked. I can drive fine any other time, but when it comes crunch time, my nerves take over (no matter how prepared I thought I was) and I just **** out miserably.

I've been told that if you don't pass by your 2nd or 3rd time, then you weren't destined to drive. So how is it possible that I can drive well any other time apart from during a practical test?

My lack of a driver's licence is the sole thing that is keeping me from being taken seriously in life. It's not fair. I wish I could just drop dead.

GoBlue72

I feel for you, schist. I was lucky enough to get my drivers license at a time when you didn't even do a driving test, only a written one. I thought my anxiety(even back then before I knew I had it) would keep me from getting one. I just have never been comfortable being observed doing anything. I'm surprised they never account for this, as if there will always be someone watching you drive.

Sorry to hear it.

Minty

Well, nah. I don't have my driver's license and I'm friggin' 22. Too scared to test with some stranger, really. You should be proud that you even tested and didn't let your SA get in the way of at least trying. Don't give up on yourself. You'll make it one day. :)

schist

I doubt it. I'm 22, and still cannot legally drive.

I see friends of mine passing it first time with aplomb, and I'm jealous. I wish I was naturally confident. It's really not ****ing fair. :mad:

That 2-3th time go around statement isn't accurate. I know people who've tried as much as 14 times and are good- and I even dare say fantastic drivers. There's not a set deadline/limit to how many times it takes you.

Nerves cloud your judgment, and it's perfectly normal to be nervous at your exam. Heck, I failed my theorethic exam about 5 times purely due to nerves. It happens. You just have to keep trying until you make it.

And besides, like you said, normally you drive well. That alone shows that you're not retarded. Being actually retarded is a mental condition, and isn't subjected to circumstance.

It's comes down to staying persistent until you make it.

WeirdyMcGee

My mom failed her drivers test 5 times...
Then she went to get her bus driving license and passed the first time around. The only one to pass in a group of 20. XD

missjesss

Banned
I passed on the 3ird go, I then lost my licence and had to go for it again passed first go then lost it again and ive only just got my L plates back last week and now Im nervous as hell to do it again but who cares u just gotta keep trying ur only a failure if u stop trying!

p.s WHO CARES IF YOUR FRIENDS PASSED FIRST GO they might not have been as nervous as you I've failed coz of my nervousness also but dont stress about it!

schist

I just don't want to be one of those people who has to sit the test 700 times before they pass like that Korean woman. If that happens, I declare here and now that I will kill myself. ::(:

I'm at my wit's end. It's ****ed. ****ed as ****. :mad:

missjesss

Banned
CALM DOWN you've only done it 4 times I know heapse of girls/guys who took 7-12 times without s.a!!

p.s GO TO CITY WEST they are pretty good there

I feel like I'm really lucky in that regard. I'm from an insanely small town and my driving practice instructor, driving test instructor, and PE teacher were one in the same. I imagine taking the test with a complete stranger would be hard. But you know you are a good driver, right? And since you have taken the test more than once, you have an idea of what is going to be required of you to pass. If you can, go out and practice and simulate the test with someone. My mom gave me a practice test before I took the real one and I think it helped a lot. Of course when the time came, I was utterly terrified, but I was able to rely on my practice experiences to get me through.

Sinar_Matahari

I failed my 4th go at my driving test this morning. It's f**ked. I can drive fine any other time, but when it comes crunch time, my nerves take over (no matter how prepared I thought I was) and I just **** out miserably.

I've been told that if you don't pass by your 2nd or 3rd time, then you weren't destined to drive. So how is it possible that I can drive well any other time apart from during a practical test?

My lack of a driver's licence is the sole thing that is keeping me from being taken seriously in life. It's not fair. I wish I could just drop dead.

If I were you, I'd keep trying until I passed. You're going to have to find a way to help you relax during your driving test. If you can drive then I think you can eventually pass the test.

I'm sorry to say, but whoever told you that you weren't destined to drive if you haven't passed by your second or third time, is an idiot. Someone doesn't take you seriously as a person because you don't have a driver's license? And you value their opinion?

schist

It's the matter of never being able to get a decent job/have a serious relationship etc. without a driver's license/car. I'm sick of being treated like a simpleton. :mad:

I need this desperately to become who I want to become in life and become successful - I don't wish to be in the same spot 5 years from now. I'm tired of living like a bird in a cage.

Oh yeah, Sinar_Matahari - as much as I would like to disbelieve it, material things DO matter in life and DO contribute to who you are in the public eye. There's no way around it.

Kinetik

You'll get there. You just have to keep taking the test. It doesn't matter how many times you take it because in the end, nobody will know or remember that. Once you've got that license, that's all that counts.

I stalled the car five times trying to start it on my test. I knew how to start it, but pure nerves held me back. Finally I got it and passed, but at that moment I thought I was doomed so I was like "fúck it", assuming I had already failed. That gave me the confidence to drive in a really relaxed way. You just need to find something that will give you that mentality on the day of the next test. Try and figure out what you can do in that regard, because clearly you're a good driver, you just need to tone down the mental aspect of it all.

Having said that, there's got to be something other than nerves causing you to fail, because absolutely everyone is nervous on their test. It's like everything else in life - there's a certain formula to it and you have to give them what they want rather than doing what you think is good. So try to eradicate the reasons why you failed, but know that even if you can't relax on the next test, it's still okay to be scared provided you show what's needed.

Last edited:

Sinar_Matahari

It's the matter of never being able to get a decent job/have a serious relationship etc. without a driver's license/car. I'm sick of being treated like a simpleton. :mad:

I've been in a serious relationship for nine years and I don't have a car or a driver's license. You don't need either to be in a serious relationship. I also have a decent job.

I need this desperately to become who I want to become in life and become successful - I don't wish to be in the same spot 5 years from now. I'm tired of living like a bird in a cage.

If you're desperate enough, then you're going to have to keep taking that test until you succeed. It's either keep trying or quit. You only have those two choices.

Oh yeah, Sinar_Matahari - as much as I would like to disbelieve it, material things DO matter in life and DO contribute to who you are in the public eye. There's no way around it.

All I'm saying is that if a person thinks less of you for not having a driver's license or not having a car, then that shows you what kind of person they are. I don't know how sensible it is to judge a person's worth or character based on their not having a car or driver's license. If you're going to start worrying about what those kind of people think about you then I truly am sorry.

WeirdyMcGee

I don't know a single person who is looked down on because they don't have their driver's licence. My sister is nearly 30 and doesn't have hers... and I know very few people in the city who even have theirs; fewer who actually have a car. I could count the number of people I know on my fingers and toes who own a car, and I know quite a few people.

I guarantee you that your world won't magically change into a wonderful, beautiful place once you get your license. It might seem like it will to you, but honestly... I don't know a single person that it did change drastically for.
Having a license is one big step towards being fully independent but it doesn't change who you are as a person. If people are treating you like an idiot because you 'can't drive' yet-- that is only because they can't think of anything else to make fun of you for; and in that regard, you're lucky.
...just saying.

Dr. Doom

Well, at least you keep trying. I am afraid of driving. I haven't driven since I got my permit.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I don't think there is such thing as "people destined to drive and people not destined to drive". Just keep trying and you'll get there even if it takes 10 times. If you really can't maybe you can go to the doctor and ask for beta-blockers or something.

Feathers

I only passed the 4th time and someone who I respect and is very successful said, 'Welcome to the club, you're one of us, really!' He's a music composer and artsy person - it may be more difficult for (some) creative/artsy people, dunno.. He's a professor and only passed the 4th time too.. soo... :) I also know a University professor, who never got a driving license - says he never needs it and doesn't want it... (not sure if he ever even tried for it??)

Soo intelligence and capability to pass a test/have driving license have no correlation whatsoever...

I can understand you're angry, miserable and disappointed (I was too, the first few times - it's just soo stressful..) Just RELAX and take it easy (after maybe a good cry or something) pamper yourself for a few days.. The important thing on a test is to RELAX too - I used journalling, CBT, EFT, TAT, prayer - everything I could think of lol... Even though you didn't pass this time, maybe you CAN pass the next time!! :) Imagine how RELAXED you would be then!!

I also took notes on what I did wrong, even made little mini-maps or sketches of some roads/crossroads.. and 'practised' at home, just sitting by the table, or in the car lol, and with mum or dad.. I still don't like to drive much, prefer walking or bike or public transport or car-sharing.. those are more eco-friendly too.. just have the driving license for 'just in case' purposes..

Last edited: