It's official. I'm retarded.

schist

I do live in a big city, in Australia. And I do use public transport most of the time. The thing is, I'm a musician (drummer), and I need the use of a motor vehicle to haul my gear around in, so that's what I mean when I say I need a driver's licence to be the person I want to be in life.

Cynic

Funny you say this,I dont know about Sinar_Matahari,but I have seen some girls saying a boyfriend is only good as a motorist or that they would only date someone with a nice car,even if they were joking at the time
Exactly.

from what I know of them they arent
Aren't what? Aren't dating a guy with a nice car? :confused:

Either way, don't give up. It took my dad 5 times to pass, which meant he had to take what they call the 'idiot test' in germany.
I've heard the German test is one of the toughest in the world. Is it true that if you fail 2-3 times you have to see a shrink, and what exactly is the 'idiot test'? :confused:

schist

Cynic is right. Women will never date guys without a car or a driver's licence. Any one who says otherwise is full of ****.

philly2bits

Cynic is right. Women will never date guys without a car or a driver's licence. Any one who says otherwise is full of ****.

Are you an expert on women? Did you ask all women? I didn't think so. You better back up such a generalization with something if you're going to tell everyone who thinks otherwise they are full of ****.

Last edited:

Depends on who you're trying to date. Driving as an additional skill, not a fundamental one. A perk, if you will. There are plenty of couples where both don't drive.

In a relationship character and compatibility are most important. Driving skills don't relate to any of those. Perhaps you need to focus on a different type of women. Relationships based on shallow attributes like driving skills rarely work out.

schist

Depends on who you're trying to date. Driving as an additional skill, not a fundamental one. A perk, if you will. There are plenty of couples where both don't drive.

In a relationship character and compatibility are most important. Driving skills don't relate to any of those. Perhaps you need to focus on a different type of women. Relationships based on shallow attributes like driving skills rarely work out.

It's not a matter of actual driving skill - like I said, I can drive just fine, but passing the practical test is somehow another story. :confused:

And 'philly2bits', would you care to tell us of any woman who dates guys regardless of whether they can legally drive or not? Yeah. Didn't think so. The old gender role of men having to be the dominant aggressors at all times is pretty much set in stone. Don't try to deny it.

schist

That's funny, because I have a friend without a licence with a girlfriend. Hmmm, maybe he has a secret licence I don't know about? And I bet he has a car too, and just walks home from work because he likes the -10 degree weather and constantly being stopped by cops to be asked why he's walking outside at 1:00 in the morning. :rolleyes:

Girls like your friend's girlfriend are in a microscopic minority. Most will base the dateability of guys on whether or not they have wheels.

emerald_star733

Girls like your friend's girlfriend are in a microscopic minority. Most will base the dateability of guys on whether or not they have wheels.

In the past i dated the starving artist type, no money, no job, no wheels, i was attracted to his mind... so we do exist...

philly2bits

It's not a matter of actual driving skill - like I said, I can drive just fine, but passing the practical test is somehow another story. :confused:

And 'philly2bits', would you care to tell us of any woman who dates guys regardless of whether they can legally drive or not? Yeah. Didn't think so. The old gender role of men having to be the dominant aggressors at all times is pretty much set in stone. Don't try to deny it.

I could go into a huge debate on how wrong you are on so many levels, but I don't feel like it. Your mind is clearly made up and I can't say anything to help you. You'll only listen to what you want to believe to make yourself feel better about failing a test and not having a girlfriend. Maybe when you pass the test (and you will) you'll see things different.

WriterChick3

I wouldn't care if a guy I dated had a license or not.
All I really want is someone to be a good person and makes me happy; Not what he has.
I'm sure other women would agree.

Sure, some girls may want a guy for looks/money and want a guy with a car ... but some don't. A lot of people expect the other to have what they want; But when two people really care about eachother they couldn't care less.

Besides that, I'd like to drive him around. That means I could drag him anywhere I wanted! (Last bit was a joke.)

Feathers

When I was 19 my boyfriend didn't drive, we hitch-hiked together :) Good times!!
/It's pretty safe to hitch-hike where I live../

Remus

Staff member
I have no drivers licence for a car and I've had three long term GFs, they did the driving lol. Maybe you are looking to mind read 'fail' on their behalf

Hey, not my fault society's like that. If I could change it - believe me, I would.

Actually, society is a system that aims to take care of itself so take it in terms can take care of the people in said society. Society isn't a person. It is unable favor opinions, habits or preferences. People have opinions, habits and preferences. Systems do not.

It might be because you've been exposed to many girls that require their partners to have cars/drivers licenses to have caused your views on them to be so rigid, but please, for the sake of yourself, take it from someone who've met a wide variety of guys, girls and even a few transgenders, most people aren't like that at all. Heck, neither my partner nor I drive, and it's working out just fine.

A relationship isn't a business transaction where you provide each other materialistic services (like driving the other around, paying for supplies/clothes, so on). That's a shallow relationship, and those are usually on shackey ground from the start.

Last edited:

Cynic

And 'philly2bits', would you care to tell us of any woman who dates guys regardless of whether they can legally drive or not? Yeah. Didn't think so.
I've known the odd couple here and there where the fella doesn't drive. Its very rare though.

The old gender role of men having to be the dominant aggressors at all times is pretty much set in stone. Don't try to deny it.
Absolutely true.

That's true as well. Dating sites ask if you have a car. If your answer is 'no', then you might as well not bother.

In the past i dated the starving artist type, no money, no job, no wheels, i was attracted to his mind... so we do exist...
LOL very few girls will even give you a second look unless you have wads of cash, film star looks and/or a bad-ass reputation. If you approach them as a complete random, you probably get the "who the f**k do you think you are" treatment. Without the image, hardly any woman gives a sh1t about your mind lol.

Oh you're definitely right. Girls are all materialistic and only care about what a guy has and not who he is. I mean who cares if he's kind and can make you laugh if he can't drive right? And if he doesn't have a job, pfft forget it! I mean why even bother with people who aren't good on paper even if they are awesome in person
I'm sure those who are "awesome in person", would have plenty of friends to prove it, and having plenty of friends means being part of the shallow, materialistic crowd, no?

because everyone knows the only thing that matters is what you have and not who you are.

(that was sarcasm, in case you were wondering)
I'm afraid the reality is that this world revolves around image and status and if you're not up to scratch, too bad.

WriterChick3

The old gender role of men having to be the dominant aggressors at all times is pretty much set in stone. Don't try to deny it.

I don't know why this bothers me. :|
I don't think all dudes wanna be dominant because it leads to ... some problems ... Sorry I got a bit off-topic.

madmike

I've known the odd couple here and there where the fella doesn't drive. Its very rare though.

Absolutely true.

That's true as well. Dating sites ask if you have a car. If your answer is 'no', then you might as well not bother.

LOL very few girls will even give you a second look unless you have wads of cash, film star looks and/or a bad-ass reputation. If you approach them as a complete random, you probably get the "who the f**k do you think you are" treatment. Without the image, hardly any woman gives a sh1t about your mind lol.

I'm sure those who are "awesome in person", would have plenty of friends to prove it, and having plenty of friends means being part of the shallow, materialistic crowd, no?

I'm afraid the reality is that this world revolves around image and status and if you're not up to scratch, too bad.

I think the fact it's usually the male driving in a relationship is probably a lot more due to man's own insecurities and his perpetuation of that stereotype to make himself feel better about his usefulness. As has already been confirmed by 100% of the SP female members, they do not care about your frigging car.

And if i ever met one who did, i would only too gladly be turned away by them :)