Is Social Anxiety a stand-alone problem for you?

Is your SA linked to other problems or a stand-alone problem?

• Total voters

findingbeauty

I'm curious if people have developed SA because of other issues or if SA is the primary issue in and of itself. Feel free to expand your thoughts in the comments.

Personally, I don't know if I am socially anxious because of a disorder or if I am socially anxious because of circumstances that I know tend to illicit negative reactions from others: I have mood-related problems, I lack friends, I lack social skills, I have broken and dark upbringing, etc.

This is hard to formulate so maybe it can be refined once I get it out there.

Thanks.

jaim38

No, I have a fear of people due to trauma, bullying, family problems, and other problems in life. I think my social phobia is very much related to all of these. I also tend to illicit negative reactions from others.

TailsAlone

I don't think so. If SA was my only issue I would probably be able to leave my apartment for something besides work, shopping and walking my dog around the corner. And I wouldn't be totally broken by a few mean or critical words from someone else. And reading about AVPD for the first time would not have stricken at the core of my being. ::p:

Both of my parents were angry, self-centered people I couldn't really talk to or trust with my problems. I hated my school and had very few friends. I got bullied a lot until I withdrew so much that most of the kids stopped noticing me. So I'm sure that was part of it. But I'm not one of those born-yesterday types who thinks bullying can be stopped with whiny new-age sloganeering and a national anti-bullying month. At the end of the day there was only one big difference between me and the bullies: they directed their insecurities outward, and I kept mine inside.

findingbeauty

Thanks for the replies. So far most seem to view external negative experiences as the cause of their SA. I've always thought this myself. Lately, I've been wondering if it's because of SA that I had such experiences. If my "genes" allotted me with a tougher composure and greater confidence would I have not gotten so entangled in these circumstances? Would I have just stood up to them, laughed them off, or walked away, and moved on without so much trauma and scarring? Is it because I am fundamentally different in some way (probably mood-related) to the norm that I am disrespected and treated poorly?

Then again, those who are abused and neglected from a young age (as I was - primarily neglect) DO behave differently from the norm.

I have trouble keeping my mood up. I don't enjoy doing a lot of "fun" social activities because it becomes work for me to keep myself upbeat. Also, sometimes excitement becomes too stimulating for me and I become over-stimulated/over-excited which makes me feel unstable and no longer feel present. Then I can become very irritable until I find quiet and solitude to restore my balance. I will have no way of knowing if this is a symptom of trauma or if it is biological. I even wonder now if I'm bipolar 2 though I have always considered my problems to be anxiety-oriented and occasional depression.

razzle dazzle rose

I developed OCD at 8 and that really screwed me up. OCD now under control, but I can't shake the SA off. SA is now my main problem (and what a big problem it is!), along with depression. I also come from a dysfunctional family. So yeah, combo of bad genes and bad experiences.

Esperance

I was always someone very stressed and who often got panic attack but I think that what caused my SA was my last year in High School where I was alone during all the year and being looked as the weird one by everybody, that everybody was making fun of me and that I got very results at school. Sure that this is what caused my low self-esteem and my "paranoia" that everybody is making fun of me

mikebird

Banned
Great subject!

I do like your categorisation. Glad that I fit into one, with no doubt, or subjective differences

SA caused issues with my upbringing/bullying/abuse/rejection. Major health issues have existed and held me back; I have recovered, and never want to blame my health. I am diligent to find a way to recover from a lifewide, unexplored, awesome rejection beyond my understanding

I was timid and shy from birth. ::eek::

Having a special era from ending school to uni, and some working success, things have got worse, into a world of being alone and unemployed, with my own label of 'retired', while I am determined to spring back to life. My life aim is to thrive in a magical way of being myself, as I used to be.

THeCARS1979

Im 38 years old Ive had Social Anxiety ever since i can remember. I grew up always knowing I had some kind of social problem. I had problems interacting with others into my teens and 20s and even 30s but seemed to make some friends along the way. Ive got better in the past few year able to do karaoke and go out to Las Vegas because i work for a major airline. Since I never really had a full girlfriend and sometimes i may get lectured and questioned by people and it'll get real annoying. I feel like I get interrogated and In turn I will get aggrivated and annoyed, not wanting to ever bring someone over the actual house that I live in. I dont want to get into to much detail but Its really upsetting that Im going through this.

Littlewing13

In my case definitely genetic. SA causes depression from time to time. Apparently I have OCD tendencies too. Seems like my latest hobby is collecting mental health disorders. Oh we'll we are much more interesting than regular people ;)

drganon

I was shy to begin with, but being rejected, made fun of, and at times bullied mad my SA worse overtime.

Agent_Violet

being a BP has caused my social anxiety.Before I became aware that I had the BPD issue I use to be very social.After I allowed myself to see I was destroying relationships due to BPD I became socially anxious.Afraid to form any type of bond with anyone out of fear of hurting them emotionally.I pushed everyone away and panicked at the thought of having friends and relationships.

21NZ

I have depression and SA, had both for as long as i can remember, reason ? i don't know.. maybe lack of serotonin?

Srijita52

I've always been bullied in school because of being socially anxious and painfully shy. It also caused my depression.

Luka

Naturally, I've always been shy and avoided talking to people I didn't know. But the more 'trauma' that happened in my life the further it developed.