Is it?

lonelyworm

Is it hard to drive as well as having S.A?

I can imagine the thinking part would be hard?When to pull out . When to let someone past etc etc/

Thoughts?

O'Killian

Like a lot of things, I think it depends on exactly where you'll be driving. People generally follow the rules of the road, so four way stops, red lights, passing, blah blah blah aren't all that difficult. Merging, pulling out, that kind of thing are slightly more trying (obviously, given we're talking tons of metal flying around at significant velocities), but more than manageable.

This is generally rurally or in small towns, though. In my experience the bigger and older the city, the more likely you are to run into ridiculous traffic nonsense. Especially if you aren't a local!

Personally, I don't think any anxiety I have enters into it much. It likely makes me more cautious, which may be frustrating to others, but **** them, I am in a giant metal deathtrap. Generally I don't have that much trouble thinking since a lot of driving is practically reflex, and the parts that aren't are very demanding of your attention.

alak

I don't have problems driving around in town. I do get anxious about getting lost or in an accident if I ever leave town. I never forget my phone- it's my lifeline just in case lol.

Kat

I put off getting my license for along time and I'm still apprehensive but I think the anxiety makes me more alert when I am driving it has it's benefits.

psych

It sucks when the car breaks down.... Just like any forced interaction is difficult...

Waybuloo

I've had a full license for years and surprisingly, despite SA and all the symptoms, I managed to pass on first try for all stages. However, I don't own a car, I somehow think that it's 'grown up' business and don't feel that mature yet. You know, you don't see a child negotiating for a car purchase. I also feel that I would be operating a death machine and other drivers are impatient. I drive slow and take it easy and that is seen as a danger because other drivers are so fast, most speed.

Boby

For me it is.
I have a driving license for 4 years now,I got it from the first try with no problems,I also got a car (dads old car)but I don't drive.
I don't do it because I'm feeling stressed and anxious about it and similar to what Waybuloo said I feel like is job for more mature people.

market.garden

I'm learning at the moment - I must admit, I made slower progress than my instructor had hoped, mainly down to anxiety issues. I'm always so conscious of holding traffic up, or stalling, or annoying other road users.

chibiXphantom

idk if it has anything to do with SA or not, or i just have a fear of driving. driving has always scared me. and even more so since i was in a car accident a few months ago. ive only had my liscence about a year cause i had put of taking my test for so long cause i was terrified of having some stranger in the car with my analyzing every move i made.
but driving still makes me really anxious

WeirdyMcGee

Agoraphobia/general panic and anxiety never gave me much of a problem when driving. I started driving as a child though, so it was always more of a reflex.
Also more of a passive driver, bordering on cautious.

And I have been in 3 car accidents.
2 times when my ex had been driving, once on public transit.

lyricalliaisons

I've never driven before and I worry about it because of my anxiety. I worry I will accidentally catch the eye of someone in another car and panic.

coyote

Do it often enough, and you don't have to think about it much at all.

that's true

back when i was 15 and was just learning, i was very anxious, too

since then i've had alot of practice, so I'm pretty good at it now

(yes, i am talking about driving)

this_portrait

I don't drive in the city (no need to, really), but when I'm in my old hometown I do. Driving is one of those things where I don't have a whole lot of anxiety. In a way, I'm a bit more confident when I'm behind the wheel, and I'm not afraid to let other drivers know when they've pissed me off.

that_girl

I had my driver's license 2 years ago and every time I know that I have to drive, my anxiety immediately kicks in.

When I was learning, I didn't had any major anxiety problems, my instructor was very cool. But in my driving test I was so nervous that I failed. I passed at the second time.

I avoid to drive and I can spend months without driving. And that is a problem, the more you practice, the better you feel, more confident.
I'm always worried of what the others drivers are thinking about me. I really hate driving in towns >.<.

razzle dazzle rose

I can't drive. I mean, I know how but I don't have my license and I don't like driving...it makes me too anxious. I haven't driven in like two or three years. Maybe I have forgotten how. Not driving though is like at the root of my problems. It prevents from being able to do many things. It is a major obstacle. If I drove and had a car, it would make things significantly easier for me. Owning a car though is like a big stress though. Maintenance, repairs...pumping gas, and all those angry drivers. Ha. I guess that is why I don't want to drive...I just want to avoid all that drama.

I also don't know how to ride a bike. I would like to, but I worry about the "rules". I am afraid of making some mistake and then having people poke fun at me or something. Sounds very silly when I spell it out, but it is true.

coyote

Sounds very silly when I spell it out, but it is true.

yeah, cars and driving are a big deal in southern california

it was alot different when i moved from Orange County to Chicago

in chicago, no one ever sees you in your car, because it's usually parked two blocks away

and that's if you even have one

a CTA pass will get you all over the city by bus or el train

(and it took me until i was 43 years old to learn to ride a bike)