Is it ok if I don't enjoy reading?

FriendlyShadow

Everytime I read a book, during the first few pages my brain zones out and thinks of other things off topic from the book. To be honest, I don't enjoy reading, maybe if I read a thesarus or an encyclopedia it's okay I like to learn new words, but books don't interest me as much. Is it a bad thing I don't want to read at all from books(except dictionary type of books) maybe the characters, plot, or stereotypes don't interest me, or maybe because the books are too wordy or complicated for me to understand, am I damaging my brain from not processing.

LoyalXenite

Personally i love to read, my life would be incomplete without a book by my side ;)

However there are some people who just dont enjoy reading, and that's fine really, to each their own. I doubt you're damaging your brain by not reading, you just dont have an interest in it and many people feel the same.

laure15

It's ok if you don't enjoy it. Some people are audio or kinesthetic learners, not everyone responds to visual. I don't enjoy reading textbooks (unless it deals with interesting subjects) but I do enjoy reading fiction such as mysteries, fantasies, etc.

chibiXphantom

i dont like reading, except for short stories and stuff, cause my mind wanders too and i cant concentrate. i could read a whole chapter and not remember anything of what i read.
im also really picky and have a hard time finding something that actually interests me

LazyHermitCrab

Maybe you like books on tape more? If you don't that's okay. I used to not like reading. Now I do, but not when i'm tired. When i'm tired it's tv time. :p

rosewood

totally fine you dont like to read. everyone else has already mentioned the audiobook thing... no one is judging you here...:)

a former spouse had dyslexia so i worked with him and helped him through a lot of patience and help to get reading... hes doing it now. :)

It's perfectly normal.

I personally dislike reading a lot. I can tolerate factual/informative books pretty well (provided it uses laminated paper), but I simply cannot enjoy fictional novels even a little bit.

I cannot stand touching paper textures, and after a short while the letters seem to strain my eyes a lot (even with my glasses on). It's almost physically painful.

Lea

Banned
Didn´t you think it predominantly depends on what book it is?? There are many types of books, genres, and every author has their unique style of writing. Some I find boring, but some are written so interestingly that it´s hard to put the book down. I generally like books (on subjects that interest me), but novels not so much. But when I do read one, usually it is not very interesting in the start, but once you get over it you can´t stop reading (this happened to me with Sophia´s choice for example).

:thinking:

If you don't like to read, don't read. :idontknow: Problem solved.

I think he/she is asking because there's a social stigma where some assume that people are stupid when they don't read. The phrase ''Pick up a book..'', used when someone doesn't know a particular piece of general knowledge, comes to mind.

Dariushka

Really like this question. I'm asking myself same.. But read loads so far.. In case the answer is well.. Hmm... Let us think.. Lol .. Have found many answers in books but the problem is I am not able to share them.. So WATS THE POINT? ;)