Is it Bad/Weird for a guy to be terrified of cockroaches?And how to overcome it?

Hi

I'm a 16 year old male who is terrified of cockroaches.
You see yesterday the local sprayers came to sptay some toxic to kill and terminate cockroaches and I doubt it had any effects because the cockroaches began to come out of sewers and run around but fortunately I closed all the bathroom doors soon enaugh to prevent them from coming in to the house.
later I went on the internet to find out the reason and I read an article about cockroaches entering your ear while you're asleep and that doubled my fear of those disgusting little freaks.:sad:
I was so scared that I put on a hat to keep them from coming near my ears and on top of that i couldn't even sleep because of this.
my sister found out and I heard her talking with her boyfriend on the phone in her room(I have a Super hearing:bigsmile:) and she was making fun of me about what coward I am and I act like a child and I'm so weak and etc... .
I was really pissed cause I didn't think my own sister would bullsh*t me.
This whole afraid of cockroaches thing has happened before and I AM F**KING TIRED OF IT AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY THINKING THAT WHENEVER I SEE A COKCROACH I'M TERRIFIED.
I really don't wanna be like this I mean I know most women are scared of cockroches but I haven't seen a lot of guys whom are scared of cockroches.
I don't want people to think I'm a weak and a loser just because I'm afraid of cockroaches.
How do I overcome this fear forever?
I'm really tired.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hellhound

Super Moderator
My brother is 40 and some and is aracnophobic. No, I don't think it's weird at all, everybody has fears.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Nah.

I face down 2000 pound bulls on a pretty regular basis, but if a cockroach were to crawl across my keyboard right now I would freak the hell out. They're just....horrid little things. So quick, and nasty, and just...ugh. I can't stand the idea of them touching me, even though I know they couldn't hurt me and aren't going to give me a disease.

Esperance

To overcome this fear, it's like everything, You need to face it, you will probably still be afraid but you will be able to control it.
But this is not bad or weird to have a fear, everybody got one, it's normal.

PseudoLoneWolf

I can not describe how I hate them. Spraying does not work as long as their nest is there they return. The only solution against them is BORIC ACID. Works like magic.

sullyS25

It's only weird if YOU think it is weird. It is only a problem if you say it is a problem. When you resist what already is, you will suffer. Maybe practicing the principle of acceptance that you are afraid of cockroaches will help.

The fear in itself isnt a problem. They way you perceive it and label it as a bad thing is the problem.

Hoppy

I scream like a girl and throw shoes at them. It does look ridiculous, and I don't care.

ForeverTheWeirdKid

They're scared of you more than anything. Cockroaches are nomads/scavengers for home before food. they live long without eating so they're not verry aggressive even in packs.

Flanscho

I personally think that it's odd for anyone to be scared of cockroaches. After all, they can't hurt you. So if you are scared of them, then because you got taught to be scared. That is regardless of the persons gender.

Thanks for all the replys guys.
fortunately they're gone now and I hope I can overcome this phobia soon and now that i think of it i realise those nasty things aren't that scary.
Guess i kinda overreacted.:thinking:

I wouldn't say I'm afraid if them but they really do disgust me, these things awaken from the death every midnight, I can't go get some water in the kitchen during midnight without killing one.

Lea

Banned
I personally think that it's odd for anyone to be scared of cockroaches. After all, they can't hurt you. So if you are scared of them, then because you got taught to be scared. That is regardless of the persons gender.

It´s not that people are really scared, they are just disgusting. I can live with a few cockroaches, but spiders are worse. I don´t believe in spraying or killing them unless absolutely necessary, because I guess the more it´s done, the more they will be coming as they get pissed. We should nicely talk to them to go away.

rosewood

cockroaches are absolutely disgusting and carry disease. I am not afraid of spiders, (as long as it is not on me crawling around) but those cockroaches- yuck. I think the few people in the world who might be OK with them walking around nearby could be entomologists.

Seriously, who is ok with those things?

Metal_isthe_Answer

I agree with HellHound, everybody has fears, I am 28 and terrified of wasps (as anyone should be) and aphids (grasshoppers etc...) A particularly hot summer and Ill spend about 5 minutes walking 20 feet from my door to my car, I take a step and it seems like a wave of bugs flying all over the place.
This year I sprayed a full can of Bayer insecticide around the front porch, hopefully the little *******s will leave me be.