Inferior vision = decreased anxiety?

bleach

Banned
Hey this may seems a weird topic but it is based on my personal experience. I am extremely nearsighted and normally wear glasses. Lately I have been wearing them less in pubic because I want to save some wear and tear. What I've noticed, however, is that when I do not wear them my social phobia is lessened a bit. There is somehow less fear to speak my mind when I cannot really make out persons' faces. Is it because I do not fear their judgement which I can't detect with poor vision? What d you think, could this be the cure to SP? Has anyone else experienced it? Is anyone here blind?

dyingtolive

haha yes me too i dont wear glasses but i am near sighted. its much easier in situations where u know ur way around, but it becomes a problem when u need to read signs and stuff. so thats when it makes u feel helpless. but if ur comfortable with and w/o glasses, yes it does work. and i think a few ppl do it on purpose too..

psych

If I didn't wear my contacts, I could forget talking to them before I tripped over them... Everyone would be an amorphous blob... Which might not be such a problem, because I sure as sh*t wouldn't be able to drive to work! :eek:::p:

MollyBeGood

yeah starting in 3rd grade I used to loose my glasses all the time because when I got them and I could see clearly everyone around me, I was really scared of school after that. I even had a mean-ass teacher that used to yell at me to put them on in front of everyone. Good Times! I prefer a blurry world most days. I wonder if it's a lot like old people who choose not to wear their hearing aides because they are stubborn and don't want to hear people around them anymore because they don't care? LoL

interesting topic. I am glad I am not alone. :)

InvisaLady

I am legally blind and have found that it has not helped lessen my anxiety at all If anything it has only made it worse.

Predacon

Speaking as someone who does wear glasses, I suppose it would be easier in the respect that I wouldn't be able to make thier expresses so I'd be less worreid about what they were thinking, but on the other hand walking around with everyone in a haze isn't exactly a longterm solution.

AGR

no,because I cant see their faces I dont know how they are feeling,so most of the times it looks like they are mad,annoyed or staring me down,this got a lot better with lenses and glasses,also I cant see if they are talking to me or calling me if there are a lot of people around me.

WeirdyMcGee

I suppose if you can't SEE people staring, it might help a bit...
To be less aware could decrease anxiety perhaps-- it's too bad I have perfect vision. :mad:

Closing my eyes makes me MORE aware, though-- and far more freaked out.
So does being in the dark.

Minty

If you're introverted, visual information can be very overwhelming. All external information that can be perceived can be overwhelming. We are much more turned on by our thoughts, feelings, impressions, etc.

A lot of singers sing with their eyes closed. They're not necessarily shy (though a lot of artists do seem to be on the shy/sensitive side). They're shutting out the world so they can limit the information their brain is taking in so they can concentrate on their singing. In conversation, you'll probably notice that you look away from your friend when it's your turn to reply, you may look down to temporarily limit what you're seeing so you can focus on your response and getting it just right.

It's the same with anxiety. Limit what you take in, you don't become overwhelmed, and the anxiety stays down.

Ashiene

Hey this may seems a weird topic but it is based on my personal experience. I am extremely nearsighted and normally wear glasses. Lately I have been wearing them less in pubic because I want to save some wear and tear. What I've noticed, however, is that when I do not wear them my social phobia is lessened a bit. There is somehow less fear to speak my mind when I cannot really make out persons' faces. Is it because I do not fear their judgement which I can't detect with poor vision? What d you think, could this be the cure to SP? Has anyone else experienced it? Is anyone here blind?

When I went out in 2 layers of Zentai, I had no anxiety because I couldn't make out the slightest details on anyone's faces. I could only see color and shapes.

bleach

Banned
thanks for eplying everyone, Misty made a very interesting point.

When I went out in 2 layers of Zentai, I had no anxiety because I couldn't make out the slightest details on anyone's faces. I could only see color and shapes.

hmm, do people commonly wear that in Asia?... pics?

bleach

Banned
I suppose if you can't SEE people staring, it might help a bit...
To be less aware could decrease anxiety perhaps-- it's too bad I have perfect vision. :mad:

Closing my eyes makes me MORE aware, though-- and far more freaked out.
So does being in the dark.

hmm, do you think it woud be ethical for an eye surgeon to hurt someone's eyesight as a cure for SP? would you do it?

lyricalliaisons

I wear glasses for astigmatism. I MUST wear them or else I couldn't see to get around. But I often look above or below the lenses, or on the sides, when around people and notice that when I can't get a clear view of the person, or of my surroundings, it helps my anxiety. I'm really glad you wrote this thread because now I know I'm not the only one who does something similar to this lol.

I don't believe it's a "cure" though because you can't expect people to walk around unable to see all the time. Plus, it doesn't cure my anxiety, it only helps it some.

Last edited:

weberriver

I get the same results while wearing sunglasses. It's great, but not practical for everyday use since I would need prescription ones.

Foxface

My eyesight started to decrease around 2005, needed glases for driving, now I am getting more and more near sight, and need glasses to see a computer monitor for a couple feet away, as weel as seeing the TV.

I wonder if masturbation really does cuase you to lose your sight.