I can't help but wonder that a lot of things in life are overrated

Your not the only person who reacts apatheticly to events others get emotional about. When i heard my aunty died, i didn't care, not even slightly. I know that sounds distasteful to some, but it's true. When i was little and grandad died i reacted extremly sensitivly, so havn''t always reacted like that. Maybe it's just because you don't relate or empathize with her situation so you don't feel it

Fighter86

Yes I think the birth of a child can be a big deal for some people (not me though I do not like children). But I think you are right also about your feelings, that perhaps you have spend too much time alone or some other reason that numbs you not to care anymore. I am like that, even when hearing injustices it is hard to sumon up feelings sometimes because myself had a bad life and I feel that's just life people do get bad cards sometimes.

Sora

This is not the answer you were probably expecting and not baby related but here are the things I think are overated in life (short list, the big list would take too long):

1. Football
  2. Call of Duty
  3. Xfactor
  4. I'm a celebrity...get me out of here
  5. All other reality tv shows like the above
  6. Xbox 360s
  7. Apple Products
  8. Weddings / Marriege
  9. Special Occasions
  10. Alcohol
  11. and sooooooooo much more I am going to stop here lol

I don't understand how most things in the world are crap yet the majority pay for them and love them. Yet the better things cost less and are less popular. Go figure!

Almost any "normal" thing to do is overated to me, I don't get the world and sometimes I don't think I was meant to be a part of it then I just realise yes you were, the world is full of different people but most of them are brainwashed into a traditional life and it's drilled into us from birth. Go to school, do what ur told, follow the system, leave school, go to college, get a job 9-5 work for the system, work to live, live to work, no freedom, it's a system we can not control because we accept it and follow the rules.

As soon as someone does something outside of this system or traditional method you are deemed "weird" and not "normal"

This world confuses me!

Last edited:

Dark angel

I don't get the world and sometimes I don't think I was meant to be a part of it then I just realise yes you were, the world is full of different people but most of them are brainwashed into a traditional life and it's drilled into us from birth. Go to school, do what ur told, follow the system, leave school, go to college, get a job 9-5 work for the system, work to live, live to work, no freedom, it's a system we can not control because we accept it and follow the rules.

As soon as someone does something outside of this system or traditional method you are deemed "weird" and not "normal"

This world confuses me!

:applause: ^This. I totally agree with this. Unfortunely, that is how the world is crafted and it has being like this since the beginning of times. So I highly doubt that anything is gonna change to break out of that system of control. As far as your list is concern I agree with most things except Call of Duty :bigsmile: Although I dont play it often, I have enjoyed it...

And Btw, Dont worry, I appreciate that you made a list. Whoever wishes to make a list of the things you guys consider overrated is more than welcome. That was the intention of the post and of course, a way for me to vent while I was feeling depressed.

Sora

Haha ok as requested the list continues:

1. Sex
  2. Coffee
  3. Taking Pills when ur ill (so many people take them for every single minor thing, I refuse)
  4. The 9 - 5 Work system
  5. Make up
  6. Tans (I am white, I will stay white)
  7. Jelousy (or purposely trying to make someone jelous, there is no point).
  8. Flirting
  9. Eating out - at restaurants (so expensive! I don't see the benefit of it).
  10. General going out to "do something" or to just "get out the house". I'm fine in the house!
  11. Pointless Conversations (my brain is not working, u no that moment when u feel u have to try and make a convo to break awkward silence. Or just general chat, like when someone says "how are you?" "nice weather today isn't it?" when they don't really care, that stuff but I can not think of the name for it right now as my brain is not working lol, so this line should of been a one liner but now it's huge *cry* - WAKE UP BRAIN!)
  12. Fashion!!

Ok I am going to stop the list there as it is now getting difficulty to put them into one liners. The thing I mostly get annoyed at is as I mentioned above, the whole system, been wrong and we all accept it.

For instance we all get a letter from the tax man and we pay it, we pay something printed on paper with a fancee logo that somehow represents authority. If one person refuses to pay it, we would get penilised, if ALL of us never paid it...what would happen, hmm I wonder? - They couldn't do a damn thing! it would be too chaotic trying to get everyone to pay if everyone didn't.

I'm not even that bothered about paying tax itself, I hardly do as it is but I just think it's too much when u earn a lot. I hate how people on job seekers (I know a lot of u are in the usa so it won't apply there) but I hate how they get lot's of help and then get almost everything for FREE and paid for them.

When your working you have to pay for everything and you get virtually no help at all. I do long hours sometimes, work a lot and people on job seekers seem to be able to just go out, get drunk and live for free. Now this isn't something I want to do but I hate the fact they can just choose to do anything with their free time but I have to just remind myself they have no future if they just do that and I am working for something more and one day all my hard work will pay off (if not then God has a funny sense of humour lol).

Also, It's not that Call of Duty is bad, it's that it gets too much hype and the online is bad. I actually played 2 of them on the solo campaign and they were ok but online...it's so overated and silly. Shoot shoot die, shoot shoot die. OH LOOK the next call of Duty is out, heyyyyy shoot shoot die?! ZOMG THIS IS AWESOME?...wait what, it's the same as before? - I don't get it, just like Fifa or any football game...SAME THING all the time (near enough) with slightly updated graphics.

Yup told you it was too hard to keep listing it but this is pretty much everything, no doubt something else will come along in life that will add to the list lol. I sound like a very angry person don't I, but I am not, honest. Haha.

Last edited:

Sora

:applause: ^This. I totally agree with this. Unfortunely, that is how the world is crafted and it has being like this since the beginning of times. So I highly doubt that anything is gonna change to break out of that system of control. As far as your list is concern I agree with most things except Call of Duty :bigsmile: Although I dont play it often, I have enjoyed it...

And Btw, Dont worry, I appreciate that you made a list. Whoever wishes to make a list of the things you guys consider overrated is more than welcome. That was the intention of the post and of course, a way for me to vent while I was feeling depressed.

Sorry that you were feeling depressed, but glad that it helped you get over it. Sometimes venting is the best thing to do, takes all that weight off your shoulders and then you can battle another day :)

laure15

Pointless Conversations (my brain is not working, u no that moment when u feel u have to try and make a convo to break awkward silence. Or just general chat, like when someone says "how are you?" "nice weather today isn't it?" when they don't really care, that stuff but I can not think of the name for it right now as my brain is not working lol, so this line should of been a one liner but now it's huge *cry* - WAKE UP BRAIN!)

I agree with this. People say this so many times not because they really care but just for the sake of making a conversation. I also do the same thing sometimes, and it makes me feel very fake.

crazycatlady27

for the woman in labour its not overrated is freakin painful trust me , and when you issues like most on here to go into a hospital with a lot of people and knowing you cant just run away is near impossible, they heard me screaming the other side of the hospital.
but when my brothers girlfriend got pregnant i couldent care less, and she has had three kids, i never went to the hospital to visit i never visited afterwards either. i didnt really show any emotion i put on the happy face "yay that is great " and i dont spend time with them i dont like them, i only like my own kids, so you are not on your own to feel nothing, if it was your baby you would completly different and it will change your relationship with your friend but if you can work through it you will have no problems

Dark angel

Re: My friend had her baby already and...(update)

... This is what happened. I visit her at the hospital after she went several long painful hours of labor. I must say this... My vision has certainly change (a little). I STILL think that people sugar coat the actual process of labor as it is the 'most beautiful thing in the world' when in reality it is that but also includes pain and stress, worries and all of that. BUT I was worried I was gonna feel apathic towards the newborn child. Turns out, I didn't. I found the baby to be absolutely adorable and I even got the opportunity to have her in my arms for a while(Until she made a grimace like she was about to cry, then I gave her back to mom :)) So it was an endearing experience seeing her opening her eyes or do little movements with her little fingers and toes. Also, it was very good to see how this event turn out a way to reunite all of her family and our eldest friend who we haven't seen in a long a while, all put together in one little room.
I think my biggest worry and fear was, and still is that my friend is gonna move out from our current city to live a little bit farther away, so that is already putting a distance between us. I have to understand that people's lives change and I have to adapt to that. But what's scares me the most is that my own life is certainly in the same place as it was 3 years ago. Never changing, and not evolving at all.

Even my other best friend who came to visit her at the hospital got out of the room at one point and he felt overwhelm by the same reason. He told me at the hall of the hospital that he NEVER imagined us in a certain scenario like this. That he never thought that none of us would have a child and especially her. And he reflected my exact same worries. That everybody else was growing up but he still felt like he had a long wayyy to go to accomplish 'growing up entirely'. I was really surprised by his response because this is a guy who have done quite a few impressive things at his age. I felt a little bit relieved by hearing him say this because I got to see I wasn't alone in my thoughts. I mean, the three of us, together with another two friends grew up together. Graduated high school together, share our worst moments in school with each other, had sleepovers, were pretty close and all the good stuff, so it is certainly scary to see how everything can change suddenly and abruptly. Now I feel more lonely than ever. Happy in a way because my friend was happy with her child but sad because I know things wont be the same from this point on and lonely because I already spent too much time by myself(even she has told me several times that she worries 'cause I spent too much time on my own)

laure15

I'm happy for you to be able to experience something like this, but also sad that your friends are moving apart. It's one of those bittersweet experiences in life. I also am afraid of changing because I don't want to lose myself too much to the point where I become unrecognizable. Some of my friends have done this and I wonder if I know them anymore. But life goes on, regardless of what happens.

laure15

^I've seen some episodes of Jersey Shore and Keeping up with Kardashians and I think these people are trying too hard to turn everyday life into drama. Of course, it's all for the money.

recluse

1) Parties - Too much pressure to be interesting and think of things to talk about to people, some you even don't know. This is probably the worst scenario for me and i end up standing with my drink and plate of food feeling awkward in a corner.

2) Clubs/disco's - Too loud to even think let alone talk, too many fake people with fake tans, too many aggressive men trying to grind on women, and i won't dance ever because i feel too self conscious.

3) Pubs - Too many aggressive drunks wanting to start trouble, expensive drinks.

4) Christmas - Baaaaa Humbug! The older i get the more i hate it. It's merely an excuse for people to party, drink too much, eat too much, and people are meant to be happy just because it's Christmas?! What's wrong with being happy for the rest of the year?

5) Relationships/marriage - Fine at first but most of them fail from what i see.

6) Reality shows like Jersey shore, The only way is Essex, Geordie Shore etc ..This is meant to be real life!? Makes me want to puke it really does.

Reaching-Zen

^^^^ boxingrooster and recluse got it right.

celebrities and all famous people in the news, media, singers, actors etc
reality tv shows
religion
politics
money
football players getting into trouble

I find it odd if people actually care who dated who or did this, said that, went into rehab. I dont care less and think its stupid to care about it when it has absolutely NO relevance to our life.

reality shows like big brother, jersey shore etc. waste of time

religion. if you have a belief thats nice. if you dont that too is nice, but to firmly belive yours is the correct one? everyone thinks theirs is the right one.
we are all wrong, or we are all right, no sense getting worked up or killing each other is it. no. peace. accepting all beliefs is ok.

politics. everyone hopes the new president or prime minster is the answer, but are always let down. you can rant and rave about your political ideals, but your wasting your time, you cant change the world, nor can your next politician.

money, if your rich thats nice but i hope you didnt rip of innocent people along the way including family and friends.
you dont NEED to be rich, just enjoy life and have a good realtionship with family and friends, look after your husband/wife, parents, brothers, sisters and your kids. thats more important.
having big houses and new cars is not the answer, if you can afford it, fine, but dont get into debt to try to prove to everyone you can afford it all, they dont actually care, so dont add stress to your life with loans and credit card debts.

sports stars like football players will get into trouble. i really dislike the amount of media attention is put on the issue.

thats my view on over rated things in life. i feel there is no balance, priorities are lost......

LazyHermitCrab

some people just don't care to have kids... if you had a baby inside of you you would probably be excited... but since it's someone elses it's just kinda like oh cool lol