How many people here finished high school alone?

Silentknight

And I mean not just finishing but going through high school with no friends? I got my GED last year after finishing my junior year since I couldn't take seeing all the people with their groups of friends and me just standing in a corner. I did have a few acquaintances who would say hi every once in awhile but none that could really be considered a friend. It's depressing to look back at my high school life and think of all I missed out on. I guess I could blame it on my social anxiety, and avoidant personality but that doesn't change the fact that I have no memories to look back on of high school. Right now I feel like I'm the only one who really knows what that's like and I guess I'm just reaching out to see if others like me are out there?

Luke1993

I'm not entirely certain how it works in the U but here in the UK you can finish high school at 16 (Although I believe a law was passed last year which means anyone who started high school then will have to stay on to 18) you then can either:

1. Get a job and finish your education there
2. Stay at a school and do a course (Also known as 6th form)
3. Do a course at college (college is a seperate thing to university here)

I am at college right now and deciding what courses to choose in september (if any)

But to answer your question, you are not alone! Throughout high school I did not make any friends, I would put it down to SA, the fact I wasn't very good at anything and lack of common sense. So SA did play a big part and still does today.

lyricalliaisons

I got my GED on December 27, 2006, but didn't actually finish high school. I should have graduated in 2000, but I had to quit because I was too scared to go. It was around the time my agoraphobia really began & I was just experiencing far too much anxiety to deal with it. But I never had even one friend in high school. I was terrified of people talking to me, just like I am now. Usually, no one even tried, but sometimes certain people did & when they did, I was so scared I would sort of ignore them, hoping they would go away.

EasySkankin

And I mean not just finishing but going through high school with no friends? I got my GED last year after finishing my junior year since I couldn't take seeing all the people with their groups of friends and me just standing in a corner. I did have a few acquaintances who would say hi every once in awhile but none that could really be considered a friend. It's depressing to look back at my high school life and think of all I missed out on. I guess I could blame it on my social anxiety, and avoidant personality but that doesn't change the fact that I have no memories to look back on of high school. Right now I feel like I'm the only one who really knows what that's like and I guess I'm just reaching out to see if others like me are out there?

That was exactly my situation in high school. And it bugged me for a real long time too... I left when I was 17 and I still felt bad about it when i was 22. I did some thinking though, and realized that the past is the past... dreading over it did nothin for me... so I had to move on... look forward to making new friends and getting rid of this damn social anxiety!:mad:

:)

Silentknight

Thank you so much to all who have replied. Allthough I wish no one had to go through what all of you and I had to go through, it is a comfort knowing I'm not alone in this experience.

boosh

i made quite a few friends in my first year at high school, then i was put into a class with few people i knew and it sort of went downhill from there.
i'm currently unsure if to move to a sixth form college for next september since i have no real friends at my current school

Luke1993

The toughest part for me was lunch time. I didn't know what to do or where to go, so I would just end up going home and skipping afternoon classes. In my repeat year, I ended up going to the computer lab whenever it was open. When it wasn't, I would just go outside and wander aimlessly for an hour and come back.
Yes my situation was much the same, I would hide in the toilets at school and have my lunch there :D

Now at college we can go off the premisis so I just hide in an alley nearby now :cool:

LazyHermitCrab

had a couple friends but they werent in my classes. so pretty much. didn't have a car. hated fire drills and pep rallies. graduation was the long finale of the horrible four years. never went to dances nor do i regret it. somehow i got through it but the memories are still there but what can you do lol

boosh

Yes my situation was much the same, I would hide in the toilets at school and have my lunch there :D
same, i don't have the confidence to play football at lunchtimes with everyone else, so i also sometimes just hide in the toilet for ages, or if someone who i think doesn't like me is in the classroom at lunch, i'll do the same. funny thing is, at the back of my mind i know that they don't hate me but i can't bring myself to try and be social...

Jannah

Banned
I got my GED in May of last year. I was suppose to be class of 2006 but didn't finish. Thank goodness I am in college now.

stephen

I finished high school but just scraped through because I was basically too depressed to put anything into the work. The few friends I had changed schools by year 9 and I was friendless and bullied until the end of year 12. Really ****ty time in my life.

I Go to Stupid School

I'm in the process of finishing High School. I went to regular High School for two Years. The part I hated most was that it took so long, 6 hours a day, plus I hardly ever even went so I was behind. I didn't not do work, I just couldn't catch up with the ridiculous amount I missed. I didn't actually mind lunch that much. I should have been finished about a month ago, but since I'm an Idiot I won't be finished until like December at the place where I go now. We didn't have school for a month, and it starts back tomorrow. Greatt....

agoraphobickatie

i dropped out and got my GED, too.. but i didn't have agoraphobia back then, i just really hated high school. it was like jail! even with my friends.. i still hung out with my friends and all, but they were mostly the smart kids, i sucked at going to school and missed way too many days so i just quit that **** all together, ha.. i was in college before my class graduated.

ABunkerHere

I dropped out of high school one month into my senior year. When I turned 19 I earned my GED. I left school for a variety of issues, anxiety/shyness included. However, the largest factors were the prison-like atmosphere of the place, as Katie mentions. High School is more of daycare center than anything else, and frankly, I didn't need to be sitted... I wanted to work a job and make money, instead I was treated like an idiot by the administration at the school. It was their loss though. I was a 3.6 student when I left.

Tiercel

I went through most of my schooling with a twin sister and a brother one year behind me.

Enter puberty, stage right.

Depression and anxiety problems caused me to lose two years. Along with several doctors whom I still have an unhealthy hatred towards, but that's another story. So I spent 10th grade getting home schooling, and spent my last two years with a bunch of people I neither knew nor cared about. In 11th grade I apparently upset a female "friend" so much she felt the need to flip out and insult me. In 12th grade I started to care about one of my two actual friends and made the mistake of telling her about it. So I spent the last month of high school going through the motions all alone.

Then I tried college for 2 years. And if I knew how much better that was going to be, I would have spared myself the trouble!

mummylala

i went through school with many friends, still hated school though..

Did pretty well in all my classes the whole way through, got pregnant half way through my GCSES did 14 of them and left school at 16 with all passes..

I would have loved to have gone back to do A levels and such but my little girl kinda came first priority back then :)