how does your depression feel metaphorically

GraybeardGhost

Like I'm trapped at the bottom of a deep, dark well. I can see blue sky and sunlight way up at the top, but the walls are too slippery to climb.

I love this thread.:thumbup:

A book should be published with nothing but people's answers to the question, like the ones in this thread.

Then we could just hand a copy of it to a person whenever we come across one who does not understand what it does to sufferers, or is unable to grasp what depression is like.

dannyboy65

Voices scream at me, they want me to die. Sometimes I lose control and they take over I always end up hurting someone else or myself. The voices within me are my demon and will be the death of me...

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I never did say thanks to all you guys who posted here. Awesome descriptions.

My uncle died today. So I'm not feeling particularly positive.
He wasn't anyone special, just a guy who loved his family, worked his job. I did connect with him though. He went to walk his dog this morning and collapsed and died.
That's it. Game over.

Sometimes there's nothing that helps me feel better. Sometimes actually wallowing in depression helps me deal with it all.

Anyway, thanks.

Kiwong

Dear peoples,

I have had an offer to fly away with a flock of Yellow-tailed Cockatoos, so I am leaving and flying with them before the rain of the next storm.

I’ve met some really great people in my time as a human, but I find I don’t belong in the world of people, too much anger, dislike and distrust. It hurts too much, I get to the point where I long to stay at home out of fear, no longer wanting to venture outside, feeling crushed by hostility. I look at a corner of sky from my unit, and hear the song of flying birds, and want to fly up into it with them, but I can’t, got no wings. That is until the rain birds spoke to me, told me, I can have wings and fly high with them if I believe.

I don’t dislike people, but people don’t like me much it seems. I don’t mean to shit anyone, or piss them off, I try to fit in, but I always fail. It never works, people sense my difference and push me away, even from the things that bring me joy- like running. Running is the closest thing to me to flying. I was meant to be a bird and fly.

My happiest times as a human have been on my own, with birds, flowers and trees for company. I understand the clouds above, and the raging ocean below, the songs that the earth sings to me. It all makes sense. Supermarkets and shopping centres, offices, elevators, black snake highways do not make sense to me. These places are dangerous, fly away now they say to me.

The storm is on its way, but I don’t fear it, I will fly before it with my new friends, and enjoy the promise of clear skies and cool winds it will bring.

theoutsider

Dear peoples,

I have had an offer to fly away with a flock of Yellow-tailed Cockatoos, so I am leaving and flying with them before the rain of the next storm.

I’ve met some really great people in my time as a human, but I find I don’t belong in the world of people, too much anger, dislike and distrust. It hurts too much, I get to the point where I long to stay at home out of fear, no longer wanting to venture outside, feeling crushed by hostility. I look at a corner of sky from my unit, and hear the song of flying birds, and want to fly up into it with them, but I can’t, got no wings. That is until the rain birds spoke to me, told me, I can have wings and fly high with them if I believe.

I don’t dislike people, but people don’t like me much it seems. I don’t mean to shit anyone, or piss them off, I try to fit in, but I always fail. It never works, people sense my difference and push me away, even from the things that bring me joy- like running. Running is the closest thing to me to flying. I was meant to be a bird and fly.

My happiest times as a human have been on my own, with birds, flowers and trees for company. I understand the clouds above, and the raging ocean below, the songs that the earth sings to me. It all makes sense. Supermarkets and shopping centres, offices, elevators, black snake highways do not make sense to me. These places are dangerous, fly away now they say to me.

The storm is on its way, but I don’t fear it, I will fly before it with my new friends, and enjoy the promise of clear skies and cool winds it will bring.

Kiwong,

I sincerely hope you are following along with the theme of this thread and are speaking metaphorically and not contemplating something more serious (I don't think that you are). That said, that was truly beautiful and spoke to me on a level that I didn't expect a posting in here to reach. If you should look to something other than running as a release, I might be inclined to suggest writing. I think you would do well to reach out to a broader audience and convey the complexities of those of us with social phobia. I think your words and writing style could reach those who don't understand and open their eyes just a little wider. Thanks for your contribution, my friend.

Kiwong

Thank outsider, hope you are going alright with your battles which are very similar to mine. Of course the post is metaphorical, but when I see Black Cockatoos I always ask if I can fly away with them. They are the birds in my avatar. I have dabbled in writing, I am probably the least famous writer in the history of Australian literature.

Maybe I shouldn't share either.

Last edited:

theoutsider

Appreciate the link Kiwong. I will read it in depth and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I'm glad you were speaking metaphorically, I always enjoy your posts here. I'm also into writing and actually have an unpublished novel I wrote some years ago (I definitely won't be posting a link for reading...lol) and continue to write shorts when I can.

PugofCrydee

Dear peoples,

Amen to that brother, amen to that.
I might just see you up there in that flock and fly alongside you for a while.

AtTheGates

Banned
I fell out of the boat once a long time ago and some sharks got ahold of me...but I didnt die...I washed up on an island.

Earthcircle

This thread reminds me of a passage from the play Woyzeck:

Once upon a time there was a poor child with no
father and no mother, everything was dead, and no one was left
in the whole world. Everything was dead, and it went and searched
day and night. And since nobody was left on the earth, it wanted
to go up to the heavens, and the moon was looking at it so friendly,
and when it finally got to the moon, the moon was a piece of
rotten wood and then it went to the sun and when it got there, the
sun was a wilted sunflower and when it got to the stars, they were
little golden flies stuck up there like the shrike sticks 'em on the
blackthorn and when it wanted to go back down to the earth, the
earth was an overturned pot and was all alone and it sat down and
cried and there it sits to this day, all alone.

Argentum

Like I pollute everything around me with my darkness.

I'm waiting on responses from two sets of editors, and no matter how good I know my work is or how persistent I am failure feels inevitable. They can't not see this ugliness that drives every single human from me in everything that comes from me.

PugofCrydee

This thread reminds me of a passage from the play Woyzeck:

Once upon a time there was a poor child with no
father and no mother, everything was dead, and no one was left
in the whole world. Everything was dead, and it went and searched
day and night. And since nobody was left on the earth, it wanted
to go up to the heavens, and the moon was looking at it so friendly,
and when it finally got to the moon, the moon was a piece of
rotten wood and then it went to the sun and when it got there, the
sun was a wilted sunflower and when it got to the stars, they were
little golden flies stuck up there like the shrike sticks 'em on the
blackthorn and when it wanted to go back down to the earth, the
earth was an overturned pot and was all alone and it sat down and
cried and there it sits to this day, all alone.

Earthcircle, thems dark words.
I really enjoyed it.

nicsa

Like I'm slowly going down a horizontal slide with a slight incline amidst a grey overcast sky and vast nothingness to see. there's boredom, confusion, neutrality, frustration, joylessness and hopelessness.