How does this forum help you?

Or hinder you? Hi everyone, I'm new. I joined this forum because it's good to know that there are other people who have the same problems as I do. I'm concerned, however, that being an active member may lead to my taking refuge here against the outside world; that it will help validate my unwarranted SA.

Has anyone else thought about this or something similar? What are some positive things that you've gained from being a part of this forum?

Last edited:

Slytherin88

It's comforting to find people with the same issues I have, no matter how rare I think it is. It also makes me happy (for want of a better word) that my SP and anxiety doesn't cripple me as much as some people in this forum. I really feel for them.

coyote

despite the irony, it's actually a great place to socialize

talk to people, make friends, develop social skills

Steelsoul

It's the place for me to share my thought, give or get advice from others who have the same problem.

Odo

Banned
It doesn't really do either, except I spend too much time here, which probably isn't a good thing.

Online friends are not a substitute for real life friends unless you're eventually going to meet, so I'm not sure that it's a social thing for me even though at one time I might have thought it was possible. But yeah, it's still interesting to hear about people going through what you're going through, even though I'm not sure it necessarily means you're going to be friends.

Right now I mostly use it to vent and kill time.

theoutsider

It helps me to know that others suffer the same issues that I do. I feel comfortable posting here because I know there's usually someone who will understand what I am saying, unlike in the "real world" where you are just looked at as borderline crazy if you try to explain your anxieties. It also makes me feel better whenever I say something that helps someone and I get a personal note of thanks later on. Actually, I think that's the best feeling of anything I've experienced in all the years I have been online.

I have to admit that sometimes, reading about too many issues in too many threads can make me feel a little sad, so I have to kind of read in moderation. Every once in a while I come across a topic or story that is so sad that I just can't deal with it. I just say, "Whoa" and either log off or click onto something else. I guess that could be considered a hindrance.

sahxox

I feel comfortable posting here because I know there's usually someone who will understand what I am saying

This is what I like, it seems nothing is really off-topic or weird.

On the point of hindrance, I never thought so. Until today I actually had the worst day SP wise all year long. And all I could think about was retreating to my room and visiting this forum. It makes me feel better but at the same time I don't want it to become one of the sole reasons for getting me through the day.

Steelsoul

I have to admit that sometimes, reading about too many issues in too many threads can make me feel a little sad, so I have to kind of read in moderation. Every once in a while I come across a topic or story that is so sad that I just can't deal with it. I just say, "Whoa" and either log off or click onto something else. I guess that could be considered a hindrance.

Me too. When i first joined the forum, I was happy that there are people like me, so i tried to read all threads and reply as many as i can. But maybe too many negative thoughts and tragic problems made my head overload. So i don't come here very often. I think we need to use everything in moderation to have the best quality.

Honda

This forum never helped me in anyway.. The amount of people coming here for help out weigh those who can offer that help.. Rather I show up every once in a while and try to help out anybody with issues as much as I possibly can.

there's usually someone who will understand what I am saying, unlike in the "real world" where you are just looked at as borderline crazy if you try to explain your anxieties.

Yeah, this is hard. I've only tried to tell like three people about my problem and I could tell they had no idea what I was talking about. I just tell everyone else that I'm quiet if the topic comes up.

All very interesting answers- thank you.