How do you guys accomplish goals in life?

I'm normally an all or nothing guy, that does things 1 at a time, which should I do?

• You should focus on one thing at a time.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • You should do multiple things, multitask, like get rid of that depression first.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

voodoochild16

Hey all, please read this carefully. Basically I am asking how you guys accomplish goals on certain kind of basis. Either full on, focused on one thing, then the next thing, or multiple things at a time?.

Basically, I am an apprentice taking on a trade. And I can either focus on my trade for my last year (do all the schooling in one year) or I can do one semester, and focus on other priorities.

My priorities are:
-Get rid of chronic depression by finding a girlfriend.

-Finish school eventually (at my own pace).

So, I know what people have to say about relationships and I've seen people break up with other people, and I've seen very strong relationships.

But I know I am a reliable guy, and I know I'm attractive enough to keep a relationship. If I wanted, I could work my job for like ten years then get into the schooling, it's all very at-your-own-pace.

But the depression is so incredibly bad, I don't know if I'd make it through school, and I happen to be drinking alot, and just getting by (not an alcoholic though).

So should I do multiple things, or focus on one thing at a time?. If you guys can, reply to this, or take the poll, or both. It will be a great help, thank you guys!.

P.S. I know you can never make the perfect poll, so please forgive me if the options are the best ones to select, thanks.

Last edited:

mismeek

Slow and steady is always best. You dont want to overload yourself. Especially if youre drinking.

a girlfriend isnt going to get rid of your depression. The only person who can make you happy and feel fulfilled is yourself. Sorry bro

I think you would finish school slowly. while youre doing that work on your depression (see a therapist, take meds, change your way of thinking..etc) while youre doing all of this.. just keep an open mind with the ladies..you'll probably stumble upon one you like.

but DONT think the depression is going to go away just bc u have a lady. it COULD make it worse, bc then you have some one counting on you being there for them and when your down and cant..they'll get frustrated...which makes you feel worse.. which makes you drink more..etc.

another route could be you finishing school quickly.. maybe all the activity and work will make you too busy to focus on your depression.

what im trying to say is depression should be number one.. then school (bc its your livelihood) then women. The women thing shouldnt really be planned anyway.. that stuff just kinda happens.

Sorry if this is confusing.

good luck! :)

voodoochild16

Thank you for the tips. I agree with "the only person who can make you happy and fulfilled is yourself". And I don't want to sound like I'm not taking no for an answer, and I also hate admit something that seems like a stupid idea in the first place.

But all of my guy friends have seemed to move on while being with someone.

I also know other non-SA, confident people, that went on there own and were fine.

If it's something that most people do without admitting, to go through school while in a relationship, or what ever, then I guess I have to admit that it's happened numerous times in the people that I've seen move on in life.

But regardless, it's always been my belief that I shouldn't rely on not being lonely to be happy. Unfortunately that belief is skewed by being depressed for so long and shit that I cannot stand it anymore... I don't know how much longer I will last.

Capsaicin

I think it depends on the goals involved. I can efficiently balance school, work, and my writing, because the third just takes up my spare time. I don't have much time left over to socialize, though.

Relationships take work and people looking to them as a form of medicine might be very disappointed. Unless you're planning to join half a dozen clubs and hobby groups to meet women I don't see why you'd need to cut back on school to meet them.

Flanscho

Don't want to destroy your dreams, but finding a girlfriend won't cure chronic depressions.

That would be like saying "trying to find a video game to fix my burning house".

dottie

My priorities are:

wow. so you are looking for a girlfriend to give an assignment to? "here i am, now get rid of my depression." this is very skewed. get yourself together first, THEN if a girl happens to come along, consider her...

So should I do multiple things, or focus on one thing at a time?

don't waste time. do not doubt yourself or your capabilities. do multiple things at once. kick *** and take names. you will find your depression will go away when you focus on your goals.

not only will this strategy alleviate your depression, this will also help attract ladies. no woman wants a guy who *****foots around. women want a go-getter, a guy who does not hesitate, a guy that has it together and gets **** done.

godspeed!!!!!!

MikeyC

A girl won't make depression magically disappear. It doesn't work that way.

Thoughts=dreams=actions=results
This is a very simplified version, but this is basically right. If you have dreams - whatever they are - then putting steps in place to achieve them is the best way to realise those dreams, instead of sitting back and hoping for them to be done for you.

Easier said than done, though. :bigsmile:

Kiwong

A girl won't make depression magically disappear. It doesn't work that way.

This is a very simplified version, but this is basically right. If you have dreams - whatever they are - then putting steps in place to achieve them is the best way to realise those dreams, instead of sitting back and hoping for them to be done for you.

Easier said than done, though. :bigsmile:

Too right, I always let myself down on the actions part.