How do you approach customers?

Imogen

Might be a super obvious answer to some, but for me this is so confusing!

My manager has a strict policy that we are, under no circumstances, allowed to go up to a customer and simply ask, "Do you need help?", "Are you looking for anything in particular?" and anything similar. Instead he wants us to go up to people and be personal. I have crippling shyness and anxiety and talking to strangers is a huge fear of mine, but I needed a job so I took it and now I'm stuck because I'm too scared to approach people. I've tried asking about people's clothing, like telling them how I like an item and it works sometimes, but I find that even if I do that, sometimes they will end up approaching one of the other workers instead of me.

I know it sounds super stupid, but it's been my second day today and I'm sat here in tears because the people I work with are saying I'm too quiet and are beating me to talking to customers and making sales, so essentially I look like I'm not doing anything. One girl told me they would look at my sales from today and question me on why I only had three, even though the store was totally dead all day. I'm trying really hard to approach customers, but since we're not allowed to ask them if they need help, it makes it so much harder for me.

I find myself too scared to talk to customers because I don't know what to say to engage them, as we're not allowed to use the 'do you need help?' question, but we're still expected to talk to them and make a sale. I can't ask my work colleges because sadly, the store I work in is a small punk store and they are VERY cliquey and bitchy, I caught two of them talking about me today, I couldn't hear them, but I KNEW I caught them in the act because one of them asked if I had a 'radar when people were talking about me', which is making me feel worse. I'm already not fitting in because I'm just too quiet and not similar to them at all and now I'm sat here crying like some moron because I'm scared I'll lose my job, because I just can't make sales due to being too scared to talk to customers. It also doesn't help that I'm not allowed to use the cash register, I can only help on the shop floor as I'm a Christmas temp, where as all the others can use the tills. The other new guy is also a friend of the manager, and he's SUPER outgoing and helps people left right and centre as he has lots of confidence.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can approach customers? I feel like I'm going to get sacked because I just don't know how to engage them. I just don't know what to say to them AT ALL and everyone is sort of out for themselves in the store, so I can't ask for advice.

Sorry, I know this is probably a really stupid question to ask and probably has an obvious answer. I'm just sick of being so crap at everything. People keep telling me to 'get over' my anxiety, like it's something I can turn on and off like a damn tap, so any advice at all would help so much.

Section_31

Hey Imo,

Im really sorry to hear what yuor going through. I empathize with your pain here.

I worked in a retail enviroment for years and i had the same problem. The only thing i fonud that sort of worked for me was being in the close vicinity to a customer, and i guess trying to appear as relaxed as possible, sending off body language that im there to help if needed. more often then not, that actually got people to approach me instead of vice versa and thus i was spared that part....

I dont know if this will work for you but i wanted to put it out there.

WeirdyMcGee

Be personal with the customers?

...I'm not sure how that would work, really...
I've only worked 2 retail jobs and for both, I wasn't allowed to approach customers.
I had to stand behind the counter and look pretty and friendly-- and only *if* they approach me; I could ask them if they needed help with anything.
haha

...anyway-- about your anxiety and work; sometimes we're just not cut out for a certain kind of job.
It's your own choice whether you want to hang in there and try to improve or move on and find something that suits you better.
Working on yourself and trying your best to be good at something is a great goal - even if it hurts to do so; but there's a point when it's probably healthier to admit defeat.
There's nothing wrong with you.
You can't just 'get over' your anxieties-- it takes alot of effort and work and time.
Many people don't understand but you shouldn't take their words to heart because they don't know what it's like to be in your head.
You shouldn't feel bad about it.
Just try - feel good about trying and decide what to do from there.

Hey bro,

I feel for you. The worse thing that can happen is you getting canned, but that's not so bad - just realize that you got canned for your SA, not because of *you*. And that getting another job is not so hard either - you got one already, didn't you?

Hmm, I do have some tips for you that will help you with this though. I have spent a lot of effort coming up with ways to "deal" with SA right here and now for about 2 years.

1. Realize that people with SA are afraid of getting hurt emotionally (by being made fun of or rejected). Also, realize that the fear of getting hurt emotionally hurts you more than actually getting hurt emotionally. So put in your head the mindset that "I will get hurt emotionally, because the alternative is worse". So walk around with that in your head - "I will get hurt". This will completely get rid of your anxiety.

2. Breathing techniques. One breathing technique to stop anxiety is to take a deep breath and hold it for about 16 seconds. You might feel light-headed or about to pass out, don't worry you won't (I've done it a million times and always thought at the beginning that I would but didn't). Somehow, the carbon dioxide that builds up in your lungs is sort of an anti-anxiety agent - so holding your breath makes the concentration of carbon dioxide higher in your lungs (and therefore body) magically "killing" the anxiety.

3. This next one works *really* well too, but it's hard to explain. It's sort of like a quick way of talking to your subconscious mind(where the anxiety resides) and telling it to calm down. I know this sounds weird, but trust me it works :)

First, think of a "trigger" (a way to tell your subconscious "hey listen," A trigger can be something that you don't normally do, such as whistling, curling your toes, tapping a certain part of your body. I chose whistling, curling my toes, tapping my knee (when sitting down) because they're concealable so I can do them in public.

Then you say in your head "When I whistle and say disconnect, I will disconnect myself emotionally from everything that is bugging me right now" You repeat this consecutively for 2 or 3 times. Yes, this "magically" talks to the subconscious and you will immediately feel uplifted. The bad thing is that this wears off (with all the pressure that we face everyday) and has to be re-done when it wears off.

4. Act confident. Pretend that you are confident and calm. Most people can't tell the difference, and those that can don't really care. Yeah sounds simple enough, but acting can go a long way in helping you deal with your problem. Realize it's your job to talk to people, just pretend you know how :)

You can alternate between these when one wears off or gets boring. And if you do lose your job, don't worry about, like I said you can get another one :)

All these work really great in relieving anxiety, and heck one of them might even *cure* your anxiety, who knows. Unfortunately for me, my anxiety is too strong that they only relief it. Hopefully yours is better and these will work better for you :).

Last edited:

Imogen

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to try standing closer to customers I think, as normally I stand a little further back so they don't feel like I'm bugging them or anything. I do think it's a little strange that we're made to try and be personal with the shoppers, as at the moment it's a lot of parents coming in and shopping for kids and I find most of them don't want you to beat around the bush and try and be pally with them, like my manager wants .A lot of the time they want you to ask them if they need help so they can get what they need, so it puts me in this difficult position of not knowing what to do.

@WeirdyMcGee I do agree about not being cut out for certain jobs. I think I'd do well in a quiet job with little people interaction, but those types are hard to find in my town as it's a small, out of the way UK town. I will start looking though. I've also been considering wanting to start my own business up for a while now..

I'll also give you tips a go, Easy Skanking, as they do seem like really good ideas.

I know that a lot of my anxiety with this situation comes from not knowing what to say, which then makes me run through 'what if's' in my head and the fact that I'm new to the job and the manager has said he has high expectations of me, so I feel like I have pressure to perform, as more often than not, he's watching me.

ScaredToBreathe

when i approach customers i always ask if they need help with anythin which is so weird that you aren't allowed to do that at your work when thats exactly what you need to find out from your customers. also at my work you can't comment on customer's clothing or apearance/features or anything because being personal can often be very invasive and make the customers uncomfortable. the people at your work need to learn some serious communication manners.

anyways, to be more personal, you could approach them with "Hi! How are you today?" or "How's it going?" like as if you're talking to a friend or relative. then instead of asking if they are looking for anything maybe ask (if you can) "so what are you shopping for?" or even more vague and informal, "what's up?" you could also ask if they go there often, what their plans are for the day, or even comment on the weather however boring it may be it's still something to talk about to a stranger.

ex. conversation:
you: hey how's it going?
customer: fine, thanks
you: great, so what's up?
customer: oh nothing, just looking around
you: do you come here often?
customer: yeah I shop here all the time
you: nice, we got some great stuff here. so let me know if you need anything.
customer: will do, thanks.

chances are if they DO need help with something all you need to do is approach them and start a conversation and they'll tell you what they want without you having to ask them about it. and remember body language and voice: clear friendly voice, eye contact, smile, straight but relaxed posture.

DevC

Your manager has a strange technique, I know it would definatly make me uncomfortable to have a store employee start commenting on my appearence.

My opinion would be to make contact with the customer however you feel most comfortable such as more conventional ways even if its not your managers prefered way, because its better then not making the sale because your too rattled to do it his silly way.

awkwardamanda

I just say hello or smile at most customers, but I work in a department store so it's a different environment. We're expected to try and be friendly and help customers but we aren't required to approach everybody or to really push sales. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "be personal." Are you allowed to say hi and ask, "How are you?" That would be a good way to get a conversation started. Often just greeting a customer can get them to start asking questions. Some of them are shy too and wouldn't ask if you don't approach them first. Everyone responds differently though. Being too pushy can drive some people away. When I'm shopping I don't really like to be bothered. I find pushy salespeople off-putting and intimidating. I'd rather browse and find things by myself, but if I do have a question, I'm much more likely to ask if someone has said hello. I dunno, it's tricky to find the right balance sometimes. Good luck.

Kiwong

Keep an eye out for customers who are spending a lot of time looking at an item. Chances are they are waiting for help and if you are nearby they might approach you and ask for help.

Imogen

I do find it really weird that he wants us to be so personal with customers. I know lots of people, including myself that would NOT like this. I find people like to look around a store first, not be jumped on by a sales person as soon as they walk in the door, which is what my manager wants and says if we DON'T do it how he wants, he'll take our sale off us and we'll get into trouble with his supevisor. Had I known all this before taking the job, i'd have thought twice. He kind of hooked me by saying how it was a relaxed atmosphere and so on. Personally, worrying that i'm not selling enough does not make me relaxed at all, more so when the other assitants comment on it. :/

@awkwardamanda By personal he means ask them questions and get them talking about themselves by pointing out if you like their hair or clothing and so on. But I find that odd, surely a customer would prefer you to walk up to them, smile and ask "Hey, how are you?" or "Hey, are you shopping for anything nice while your in town today?" or something similar. Not "Your hair is cool." to me that just gets a response of "Oh, thanks!" and they move on.

I think that one of the problems with the store is it's SO expensive. It's about £30 for a t-shirt, which is about $45 and I just think that's ridiculous, so it puts people off buying. Instead they come to have a look, comment on how weird it is in store and leave, so that's why I think he really pushes us to harass customers, in hopes that they will make a sale. He also encourages something he calls 'puppy dogging' where he wants us to try and make them buy more, which fair enough, all stores want people to buy more, but he pretty much wants us to follow them, like a puppy, and point out things to them in hopes they might buy it. It's just a bizarre method of getting sales that actually doesn't work that well from what I've seen. Lots of times I've seen the people who have worked here longer than me (Today is my third day) ask if someone needs help, rather than making small talk, but I daren't do the same incase I get fired for not making sales.

I'm probably really over analysing it, but sadly it's what I do and how I function. I've sort of been dropped into the store with no training on how to do this whole 'personal serivce' with people, the last store I worked in we were told to approach someone if they look a bit lost, but not to bug customers, let them come to us. I also tend to lose sales thanks to the check out, because a lot of times a customer comes in, grabs what they want, takes it to the check out. So they cut out the middle man, which is me, I mean, why walk up to me, say they want to buy something and THEN go to the check out? Makes no sense to me. xD

Thank you for all the tips guys, I really appreciate it. I'm glad it's not just me who finds this method of selling strange. Sadly I do desperately need the job, and it's taken me 6 months just to find this one, which is only 6 weeks of work. If he doesn't y'know, fire me. :p I think I'll attempt the whole "Hi, how are you?" or "Hey, are you shopping for anything nice today?" sort of approach and see how that works. I can only try hard I guess and if it's not good enough then I guess I'm not the right person for the job.

awkwardamanda

@awkwardamanda By personal he means ask them questions and get them talking about themselves by pointing out if you like their hair or clothing and so on. But I find that odd, surely a customer would prefer you to walk up to them, smile and ask "Hey, how are you?" or "Hey, are you shopping for anything nice while your in town today?" or something similar. Not "Your hair is cool." to me that just gets a response of "Oh, thanks!" and they move on.
That does seem weird. There's no harm in making comments like that if you genuinely mean it, but when it's phoney and forced it comes across as too forward. If I were the customer, I'd feel very uncomfortable if I went into a store and all the staff started commenting on my appearance. I'd probably leave without buying anything.:confused:

Imogen said:
I'm probably really over analysing it, but sadly it's what I do and how I function.
Such is the world of social anxiety.:rolleyes:

OceanMist

Geez, that sounds way over the top. I've never heard of a manager scolding employees if they ask if a customer needs help. Very odd.

I couldn't do what your manager wants you to do. In fact, a lot of people wouldn't want to do that. The manager is basically forcing you to be one of the most outgoing people in the world.

5 years ago, I may have told you to quit the job, but nowadays, people have to hold on to any job they can get with a talon grip. I'd try to find a way to tough it out for a while. If you snap and break down and can't take it anymore, quitting would be your only option. Don't torture yourself too much. If you are at home and dreading work every day when you know you have to go back (I had that problem before), then it's time to call it quits.

Life is bad enough as it is. I'd rather be homeless than do a job where I have to telemarketing, for instance. It's that bad. I'm not alone with that thought, i've had a friend and my brother agree with me. Some jobs are worse than being homeless if you have to be there enough hours.

Etbow23

Might be a super obvious answer to some, but for me this is so confusing!

My manager has a strict policy that we are, under no circumstances, allowed to go up to a customer and simply ask, "Do you need help?", "Are you looking for anything in particular?" and anything similar. Instead he wants us to go up to people and be personal. I have crippling shyness and anxiety and talking to strangers is a huge fear of mine, but I needed a job so I took it and now I'm stuck because I'm too scared to approach people.

Hm, what does he want you to do? Pull fire crackers out of your butt?

I guess I'm lucky; at my job we just have to ask "can i help you find something?" (in fact, that's what they specifically ask that we ask). And I have trouble even asking that because I'm shy. Usually I'll just not say anything unless the person looks like they're looking at something, because I'm afraid of being ignored and looking stupid. So, I may not be the best person to ask.

I mean, this guy sounds so stupid. You can get personal with someone, but usually you need an icebreaker like "Can i help you" to get you started, and also so you're not annoying someone who wants to be left alone.

You're in a tough situation as a shy person, I know this too well. What I would practice doing to start off is go up to a person who looks like they are somewhat open (rejection may be bad on the first tries) and just say something like "hi , i'm blanky blank " (is that personal, i don't know) "are you looking for .." well i don't even know what to say. . . i guess you're not even allowed to ask that :#

I'm sorry. Honestly I don't know what this guy wants you to say..

Okay I got it! Ask your manager if he has suggestions on how to approach customers. Just build up a lot of confidence and ask him nicely if he knows any good lines to get started with. If he's a good manager he outta help you out. Also look at how the outgoing boy works with people, and even if you're not as outgoing, use some of his same lines
Some customers might appreciate a sensitive, shy person that's helping them out.
And most importantly keep your chin up and don't take shoppers seriously/personally! Go in there and act for a few hours and leave.

Last edited:

Etbow23

@WeirdyMcGee I do agree about not being cut out for certain jobs. I think I'd do well in a quiet job with little people interaction, but those types are hard to find in my town as it's a small, out of the way UK town. I will start looking though. I've also been considering wanting to start my own business up for a while now..

I know how you feel-i don't live in a small town, i live in a metropolis..but it's very difficult to find quiet jobs. Usually the only places hiring people who are still in school and don't have degrees are restaurants...stores..you know-people interacting jobs. And usually the worst type of people.

Just know that i tink everyone on here can relate to what you're feeling. I am in the same position as you (well minus the ridiculous manager's policies)...working w general public. With Sa it's a daily struggle :/

Imogen

@Etbow23 I really have no idea what he wants us to do! xD I tried hard yesterday and got some sales, but was worrying all day, as I was told I needed to hit a target of £450 in six hours. We also have a £40 an hour target to meet. I find that the talking is not only difficult, but I can't use the cash register, so I have to go ask another sales clerk to put my sale through which, half the time, they cannot be bothered to do, and rather than put it through on my name, so it's confirmed that I got the sale, they put it through on their own name. I lost a £150 sale yesterday because one of the girls put my sale through on her name on the register. -__-

I'm going to try and stick it out another week and if I honestly can't do it, then I'll just tell him it's not working out. He's already told me I'm too nervous about approaching customers. Damn right I'm nervous, I'm essentially harassing them and the other clerks are so outgoing they make sales all the time. I'm dreading today as the store will be packed.

Only thing with quitting the job means that my parents will go insane with me and tell me I'm being lazy. -_-

I think this little blog pretty much sums up what our store does, though in a more harassing manner, because they are so desperate for sales - http://upandrunning.bplans.com/2008/01/21/down-with-friendly-personalized-customer-service/

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

Rembrandt Broam

Sounds like a new fangled sales technique that your manager thinks will improve sales.

Doesn't it just? :rolleyes:

I have a radical new technique these sales managers might want to try. I call it the "Leaving the customer the **** alone!" technique. It's pretty simple really.

A customer comes into the store. Your sales staff leave them the **** alone. The customer browses the store, looking at items they might wish to purchase. Your sales staff leave them the **** alone. If they need some assistance, they approach a member of staff and only at that point is any interaction needed or allowed.

Happy customers, happy staff, everyone's a winner! :)

Sartana

I usually leave stores when that happens to me. If it's a game store I don't mind as I can chat about that for ages, but if it's clothes shopping I just get weirded out and want to go.

Remus

Staff member
My mate got me a job in Games workshop as he knew I wasn't good with people, he taught me the art of conversation.

His main tip was to ask a customer an open question: who, what, when, where and why. If you use 'can' they say 'no'.

So I used to have a couple of questions up my sleeve that seemed light and non pestering (nobody likes being pestered when shopping).

When the customer enters the store, just say a simple hello and try to smile. Then give them a few minutes to settle into shopping/curiosity mode. Then do something casual near where they are. Pop a question, 'where have you come from today?' or 'have you travelled far?', or something observational, 'ooo I like those shoes, where did you get them'

Make up your own little list of fallback questions. Just to keep the questions rolling for a while.

closing the conversation can be fun too.

'Oh I better get back to work, the boss has his eye on me'. (even give them a wink or smile)

Retail is all an act, be an actor.

Imogen said:

Try this:

"Your hair is cool. Where did you get it done?"
blah blah blah
"Oh whereabouts is that?"
blah street
'oh yeah I know it, Was it expensive?'
blah blah £ blah

etc...

I discovered that if you handle the convo well, people do love to talk about themselves.

Last edited:

Etbow23

@Etbow23 I really have no idea what he wants us to do! xD I tried hard yesterday and got some sales, but was worrying all day, as I was told I needed to hit a target of £450 in six hours. We also have a £40 an hour target to meet. I find that the talking is not only difficult, but I can't use the cash register, so I have to go ask another sales clerk to put my sale through which, half the time, they cannot be bothered to do, and rather than put it through on my name, so it's confirmed that I got the sale, they put it through on their own name. I lost a £150 sale yesterday because one of the girls put my sale through on her name on the register. -__-

I'm going to try and stick it out another week and if I honestly can't do it, then I'll just tell him it's not working out. He's already told me I'm too nervous about approaching customers. Damn right I'm nervous, I'm essentially harassing them and the other clerks are so outgoing they make sales all the time. I'm dreading today as the store will be packed.

Only thing with quitting the job means that my parents will go insane with me and tell me I'm being lazy. -_-

I think this little blog pretty much sums up what our store does, though in a more harassing manner, because they are so desperate for sales - Down with “friendly,” “personalized” customer service!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it. :)

I know it's hard to get a job right now, but it sounds like this job just isn't worth it. It is very sales-driven and sounds competitive. It takes a very specific personality type to do that. Maybe you can start looking around at more laid-back stores where you can just ring? This one just doesn't sound good, esp for someone with sa

awkwardamanda

Doesn't it just? :rolleyes:

I have a radical new technique these sales managers might want to try. I call it the "Leaving the customer the **** alone!" technique. It's pretty simple really.

A customer comes into the store. Your sales staff leave them the **** alone. The customer browses the store, looking at items they might wish to purchase. Your sales staff leave them the **** alone. If they need some assistance, they approach a member of staff and only at that point is any interaction needed or allowed.

Happy customers, happy staff, everyone's a winner! :)

Ha ha, nice try,;) but I think a happy medium is ideal. Being too pushy can drive people away, but if you don't approach them at all you'll lose potential sales. Shy people won't always ask for help if they need it. Sometimes staff can offer help they didn't know they needed. Also, another reason for interacting with customers is to deter thieves. People are less likely to try and steal if they know there are staff around and think they're being watched.