Holiday Depression

kuze

Even though I don't care about thanksgiving at all, i find myself strangely depressed this morning. Maybe it's the fact that I'm sitting here alone and there are happy families everywhere enjoying a joyous holiday that is subconsciously eating at me. We all know the statistics that the holiday season is rough on alot of people. I hope to keep my morale up the rest of the way and not think about anything depression until january.

MollyBeGood

yeah i know what u mean I don't like the holidays but seriously there are not happy families everywhere. I look at it like most things, it's all commercial-for example tomorrow is the biggest shopping day of the year...commercial...Christmas...commercial....Plus I try to be thankful everyday and really being alone sucks anyday so try to keep your spirits up ok?

EscapeArtist

Yep it's when the worst of loneliness seems to come out to bite. I think there's actually an instinct to gather up with a warm family for the cold months, maybe from survival in the wild or something. But it does feel more instinctive when there is cold weather to have people to get close to.. Hang in there

bsebring

ya, idk why but it gets really lonely and seasonal depression hits. I get too wrapped up in my past and what could have been. It brings up a lot of emotions but I find it easier just to distract myself from it all. I know its not the best way to deal but it'll work for now.

Kiwong

No holiday depression for this litte black duck. I love ALL holidays. I feel depressed the day before I go back to work.

Ignace

It's Christmas and New Year soon. I have shared feelings with it. I like the snow and the happy surroundings etc etc. But the down side of it, is that we are supposed to go to family, friends, ... I'm turning 18 the 2nd of January. So that means I should party like I would die the next day. What am I gonna say when some one asks me what I did with my birthday ? For Christmas and New Year I just tell them I was with family. But then there's that feeling ... It feels like a waste of good days. Those days are no diffirent for me then normal days, I regret that. ::(:

EscapeArtist

Hey Ignace I turn 18 in January too :D We should have a, errr, lame online party! hahaha oh yeah a way to spend an 18th birthday

It's Christmas and New Year soon. I have shared feelings with it. I like the snow and the happy surroundings etc etc. But the down side of it, is that we are supposed to go to family, friends, ... I'm turning 18 the 2nd of January. So that means I should party like I would die the next day. What am I gonna say when some one asks me what I did with my birthday ? For Christmas and New Year I just tell them I was with family. But then there's that feeling ... It feels like a waste of good days. Those days are no diffirent for me then normal days, I regret that. ::(:

It doesn't matter what you do over Christmas so long as you know you are enjoying yourself. If you're not going out to parties or whatever it doesn't matter. Seriously, you are still young. There is plenty of time for that. Just enjoy your surroundings. Besides parties and going out can get annoying around Christmas. Specially when you go out, everything is too pricey, everywhere is too packed full of people and everyone gets drunk too quick.

Don't worry you REALLY aren't missing much.

MaliceInWickedland

I'm not necessarily depressed about being alone for the holidays. My mom and I are actually trying to avoid the family as much as possible. They've always been desperately trying to get through to me. I am not aware of the reason, but my mom seems to be and she's been trying to keep me isolated from them for as long as I can remember. Not that I mind though, I have a very strange and dramatic family. We're better off without them. The only thing that depressed me this Thanksgiving was that it was the first Thanksgiving without my Grandmother. She passed on last January from Glioblastoma (aggressive form of brain tumor) and life has been very different since then.

Hastings & Main

Hey Malice - sad to hear of your grandma. Family deaths can affect us in ways we never really expect.

As for me, Valentine's Day is much worse than anything around this time of year. The reason Xmas is still depressing for my family, however, is because my stupid jerk-*** of an older brother has apparently disowned the rest of us (mom, dad & me) for the past 3 years with absolutely no reason given, no contact, no answers to any mail, email or anything. They have a 8-9 year old daughter who is being denied seeing her grandparents and they make sure she has no mail-contact either. We have no idea what my brother & sis-in-law are telling her, as she was very close to my parents.
Very sad.

Ignace

Hey Ignace I turn 18 in January too :D We should have a, errr, lame online party! hahaha oh yeah a way to spend an 18th birthday

That party sounds great ! I love lame online parties. :D ::p:

It doesn't matter what you do over Christmas so long as you know you are enjoying yourself. If you're not going out to parties or whatever it doesn't matter. Seriously, you are still young. There is plenty of time for that. Just enjoy your surroundings. Besides parties and going out can get annoying around Christmas. Specially when you go out, everything is too pricey, everywhere is too packed full of people and everyone gets drunk too quick.

Don't worry you REALLY aren't missing much.

Thanks dude, that really helps. :)