hearing people say something

Dave1989

For example walking past a group of people on the street, do you find yourself hearing them say something and assuming they are talking about you?

Like today for instance, after finishing work i walked past a group of 4 people ( two boys and girls ) they were standing on the corner of the street and just as I walked past i heard one of them say " here he is, poor c*nt" , then a couple of seconds later i heard one of them say " bless him" now i had never seen these people before so the fact they said " he here is" as if they had been expecting me makes me think i'm just being stupid, and i didnt look to see if they were looking at me, but i cant get it out of my head that they must have been talking about me :confused:

Rembrandt Broam

It could have been one of the two boys acting cocky to impress the two girls. Making smartass comments behind strangers backs is just the kind of thing a lot of them think makes them look hard in front of their mates.

This could easily have been part of some other conversation that you've taken out of context.
"I saw this bloke begging the other day and gave him some money and yesterday I was having a coffee and here he is, poor c*nt, eating other peoples leftovers..." "...Oh, bless him, I know who you're talking about..."
Maybe do a Sherlock on these situations, think of all possible scenarios and go with the most likely.
:)

Kristina223

Yes, all the time. Every single day ... For example today I went to the library and before going to the 1st floor, I made a huge circle in the ground floor to avoid the librarians. When I was approaching the stairs, I heard one of them say something like: "Why does she walk all around the place?" Or another example from the day before ... I was passing a group of boys, about 15 y/o, and one of them said to the other: "Look at her." .. and pointed at me. While the librarians probably weren't talking about me (I hope), the boys definitely were. Thank God I was close to home and I was able to hide before things could get worse ...

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yes all the time, specially when people are laughing or saying negative things.
I know I'm being paranoid but I can't help myself from being convinced that they are talking about me or laughing at me.
However I know it is useless and bad for my health to worry about these things.
So even if it is sometimes difficult, I make an effort to convince myself that they were not talking about me and that even if they were, there is nothing I can do about it, and they don't know me so who the f*** are they to judge me anyway? I would probably not like them either. And then I flush it out of my mind.

Dave1989

Yes, all the time. Every single day ... For example today I went to the library and before going to the 1st floor, I made a huge circle in the ground floor to avoid the librarians. When I was approaching the stairs, I heard one of them say something like: "Why does she walk all around the place?" Or another example from the day before ... I was passing a group of boys, about 15 y/o, and one of them said to the other: "Look at her." .. and pointed at me. While the librarians probably weren't talking about me (I hope), the boys definitely were. Thank God I was close to home and I was able to hide before things could get worse ...

Have you considering the boys thought you were attractive? I was 15 year old myself once and if me and my friends saw a girl who we thought was good looking that is the type of thing we would do, obviously with age you mature and are more subtle about things like that so i wouldn't do it now lol, but when you are young subtlety isn't a strong point.

It's such a weird experience when things like this happen because it does back up my negative thoughts about myself especially the bdd side of things. Looking at it logically I'm trying to tell myself that it was in a pretty public place and they were waiting for someone, they have seen him coming and that is why they have said it, but every other part of me is saying that they were clearly talking about me.

UnOccupied

This happens to me a lot when other people are laughing. I quickly assume they must be laughing about me. But, not with talking, no.

Dave1989

This happens to me a lot when other people are laughing. I quickly assume they must be laughing about me. But, not with talking, no.

yeah i get it with people laughing a lot as well, and people staring that drives me crazy. the talking thing isnt as common its only happened on one or two instances but it feels a lot more distressing because its easier to convey words as opposed to someone looking or laughing.

Kiwong

There are times I have been talked about. At it makes me wonder what I have done to be called those names

Dave1989

There are times I have been talked about. At it makes me wonder what I have done to be called those names

some people are shallow idiots, we shouldnt let what they say bother us but its easier said than done tp just dismiss comments people make about us unfortunately

Forgotten-Children

This happens to me all the time. Not really with talking so much, as laughing. whenever I hear someone who laughes just as they pass by me, I feel like they're laughing at me..

Dave1989

This happens to me all the time. Not really with talking so much, as laughing. whenever I hear someone who laughes just as they pass by me, I feel like they're laughing at me..

i do notice people laughing a lot more than the talking , like i said theres only been a couple of incidents where ive heard someone talking and immediately assumed it was about me whereas with laughing i can think of dozens of incidents, its horrible. eitherway and i really hope its just paranoia :l

Kinetik

I got my first ever pair of glasses about a month ago, and as I passed some guy on the street the other day I heard him mutter something about me being a nerd when I've never been called that before. I wasn't offended, I just thought 'how typical'. It's nice not to be the retard in a situation for once. :rolleyes:

Katie Bug

Yeah, I always do that. When I told my mom this, she said it was all in my head and that people aren't neccessarily(sp) talking about you behind your back even though it might seem like it. Don't worry about it. And anyways, if they're lame enough to talk about you behind your back (which they might not have been) then they aren't even worth it anyways.