Healthy Eating and Hunger :(

Alright, I'm sick of this. I've been eating more healthily for a month now (maybe longer), but I'm still hungry more than I was when I was eating crap food. I do not by any means starve myself, I actually feel like I snack too often for my liking, but I try to keep it to fresh produce. Apple slices and carrots just aren't filling, I don't care what nutritionists say about the fiber and blah blah blah. A heaping plate of broccoli still has me going back to the fridge within 15 minutes, even if I initially felt full after eating it. And even if I throw some "filling" protein in like eggs or chicken. What gives? I don't think it's just cravings for junk food. It's beyond that craving feeling. I get more and more hungry if I try to resist eating more - that hollow feeling in my stomach.

I also have another complaint about this: the frequency with which I feel like I have to eat to keep hunger at bay. I'd like to just eat one meal in the morning, a snack a bit later, lunch, maybe another snack, dinner, and that's it. I hate having to graze all day - a handful of raisins here, some cucumber slices, some nuts... it gets to be ridiculous to the point where I spend a huge chunk of my day thinking about food. So... without overdoing it on the grains and dairy and junk food, how do you eat healthily and still feel satisfied and not like you're constantly reaching for celery sticks (that don't fill you up for long anyway)!?

Just a side note... I made a cabbage soup recently that seemed to fill me up much more than just straight fresh produce with some nuts or whatever "healthy" snack/meal. It wasn't as satisfying as, say, pizza or a burger, but it kept me full longer and it was all-veggie with some beef bouillon and spices. I'm thinking the trick might be to, instead of eating a bunch of random "healthy" items all day, make genuine MEALS out of the stuff that, when cooked together, somehow seem to satisfy more - like an omelet with veggies and a piece of fruit and wheat toast (that was a run-on sentence if I ever saw one!).

It sounds like I answered my own question, but... it isn't always easy to put healthy meals together when you aren't the one who controls the grocery shopping (my mom is in charge of that; I can't really request a ton of things and I can't seem to convince them to buy healthier items). I suppose that's why I end up eating a bunch of random produce with the occasional serving of nuts, dairy, eggs, etc. but while these make okay snacks, they're not really filling... gah, I'm so confused :(

Last edited:

bcsr

You don't have to graze all day, I've never agreed with that, and I find it strange it's such a common thing to hear. You basically never feel full eating all these tiny little snacks. I really don't snack, I eat two moderate sized meals and usually a small dinner. If I snack it's something like cottage cheese and fruit, or some nuts.

Not being able to shop or have input on the groceries is a pain; there's really no way around that other than buying your own food. I just look for chicken/fish when it's on sale, buy a bunch, and freeze it. I'll stop once a week to buy my produce and vegetables.

ImNotMyIllness

One of my favorite dishes is to take a cup of uncooked rice, boil it until nice and fluffy then I add lettuce, slice bell peppers, grilled chicken, cut up tomatoes.....a little salad dressing and red rooster (Forgot the name, Vietnamese hot sauce).
I also add black pepper, paprika and other herbs because they have lots of nutrients. That feels me up!

In the morning I eat a cup of yogurt with two cups of fruit. Today, it was bananas and strawberries with a little cherrios on top sprinkled with cinnamon.

Last edited:

thegunners21

You're going to have to introduce a little carbs to your dirt then. Complex carbs though, namely whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, brown rice etc.

Also, you could increase the intake of healthy fats in your diet, which might allow to eat more w/o worrying about getting fat. Things like olive oil, peanut butter, avocados.

Many people have this misconception that eating fat is what makes one fat, so they don't eat any fat at all (even healthy ones).

Xervello

Alright, I'm sick of this. I've been eating more healthily for a month now (maybe longer), but I'm still hungry more than I was when I was eating crap food. I do not by any means starve myself, I actually feel like I snack too often for my liking, but I try to keep it to fresh produce. Apple slices and carrots just aren't filling, I don't care what nutritionists say about the fiber and blah blah blah. A heaping plate of broccoli still has me going back to the fridge within 15 minutes, even if I initially felt full after eating it. And even if I throw some "filling" protein in like eggs or chicken. What gives? I don't think it's just cravings for junk food. It's beyond that craving feeling. I get more and more hungry if I try to resist eating more - that hollow feeling in my stomach.

I also have another complaint about this: the frequency with which I feel like I have to eat to keep hunger at bay. I'd like to just eat one meal in the morning, a snack a bit later, lunch, maybe another snack, dinner, and that's it. I hate having to graze all day - a handful of raisins here, some cucumber slices, some nuts... it gets to be ridiculous to the point where I spend a huge chunk of my day thinking about food. So... without overdoing it on the grains and dairy and junk food, how do you eat healthily and still feel satisfied and not like you're constantly reaching for celery sticks (that don't fill you up for long anyway)!?

Just a side note... I made a cabbage soup recently that seemed to fill me up much more than just straight fresh produce with some nuts or whatever "healthy" snack/meal. It wasn't as satisfying as, say, pizza or a burger, but it kept me full longer and it was all-veggie with some beef bouillon and spices. I'm thinking the trick might be to, instead of eating a bunch of random "healthy" items all day, make genuine MEALS out of the stuff that, when cooked together, somehow seem to satisfy more - like an omelet with veggies and a piece of fruit and wheat toast (that was a run-on sentence if I ever saw one!).

It sounds like I answered my own question, but... it isn't always easy to put healthy meals together when you aren't the one who controls the grocery shopping (my mom is in charge of that; I can't really request a ton of things and I can't seem to convince them to buy healthier items). I suppose that's why I end up eating a bunch of random produce with the occasional serving of nuts, dairy, eggs, etc. but while these make okay snacks, they're not really filling... gah, I'm so confused :(

I have the same problem with cravings. Fruit just doesn't fill me up. I could eat four apples and four bananas and my stomach would still be growling. All the other habits you've listed - same here. The only thing I've found where I DON'T think about food is when I'm preoccupied with one of my "projects" - hobbies that distract my attention. I can't really recommend that to you because one can't just say, "get a hobby!" and voila! you find something that completely occupies your time to the point where food is no longer the primary focus. Otherwise you'd already be doing it. But if it's possible, I'd try busying yourself with things that you genuinely enjoy doing that would perhaps distract you enough from snacking one or two less times than you do. As for nutrition, I can't speak to that. You know more about it than I. In any case, I wish you luck. And I symphathize.

Rawz

Yeah I'm the same to some extent. I've heard people say that vegetables will fill them up as good, or better, than red meat, but it doesn't for me. For me personally, nothing seems to fill me up as good and give me as much/as long lasting energy as red meat, like a hamburger. Not veggies, not oatmeal, etc.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
You need more fat. Only fat can fill you up. Hearts and livers, as disgusting as people may think they are, are delicious and extremely cheap (and extremely healthy) if you find meat too expensive. Beans are also fullfilling if you want to be vegetarian or something. There is no way you can be hungry after eating meat (or beans) and vegetables drowning in butter or olive oil. Adding almond flour or real yogourt to your meals is also a good way to make it more filling.

You don't have to graze all day, I've never agreed with that, and I find it strange it's such a common thing to hear. You basically never feel full eating all these tiny little snacks. I really don't snack, I eat two moderate sized meals and usually a small dinner. If I snack it's something like cottage cheese and fruit, or some nuts.

Not being able to shop or have input on the groceries is a pain; there's really no way around that other than buying your own food. I just look for chicken/fish when it's on sale, buy a bunch, and freeze it. I'll stop once a week to buy my produce and vegetables.

As soon as I'm able (*cough* as soon as I have an income *cough*), I'm going to do just that. Buy a few supplemental groceries for myself. I just can't continue to eat well on the small amounts of healthy food we have in the house. It's enough to keep me from literally starving, but I end up caving in and eating too much of one healthy item or even eating junk because I get hungry much too fast. I'll even make my own separate meals if I have to :/

You need more fat. Only fat can fill you up. Hearts and livers, as disgusting as people may think they are, are delicious and extremely cheap (and extremely healthy) if you find meat too expensive. Beans are also fullfilling if you want to be vegetarian or something. There is no way you can be hungry after eating meat (or beans) and vegetables drowning in butter or olive oil. Adding almond flour or real yogourt to your meals is also a good way to make it more filling.

Not just any fat though, I assume you mean mostly healthy fats and some animal fats. The fat found in junk food like chips, for example, don't really fill me up, and the other ingredients (like salt and an overload of carbs) keep me craving more of whatever I'm eating.

I saw liver and kidney in the grocery store the other day. I really am curious to try them, but the though does repulse me. I don't know why - how is eating a liver more disgusting than eating muscle? It's still a body part. And the body parts I DO currently eat are quite delicious :)

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Not just any fat though, I assume you mean mostly healthy fats and some animal fats. The fat found in junk food like chips, for example, don't really fill me up, and the other ingredients (like salt and an overload of carbs) keep me craving more of whatever I'm eating.

I saw liver and kidney in the grocery store the other day. I really am curious to try them, but the though does repulse me. I don't know why - how is eating a liver more disgusting than eating muscle? It's still a body part. And the body parts I DO currently eat are quite delicious :)

It's just because it's not the norm. On a chicken, the norm is to eat white meat, because it is "believed" to be the healthier part. I think it's basically the part with less fat. There is a lot more nutrients in the other parts, especially organs.

By fat, I mean mostly animal fat, and also fat contained in beans, nuts and dairies. I'm no expert, but for what I know, the problem with junk food is that it's not really fat, it's trans fat and sugar. Which is COMPLETELY useless for your body. I know a lot of people think animal fat is not good for you, but believe me, I eat fat like there is no tomorrow and I'm the healthiest and skinniest person I know. So don't be scared, you won't get fat. :p

It takes your stomach no time at all to diggest Fruit and Vegetables, so your tummy will always be craving to be filled up again if you only put those in it by themselves.
Protein and Carbohydrates take longer to digest so will keep you feeling fuller for longer.:) Mix either protein or Carbohydrates WITH your healthy fruit and vegs, that has worked to keep the hunger at bay for me.

Nanita

I started on a vegan diet in December (I eat mostly fruits and vegetables) and in the begining I was hungry all the time. Now I don´t feel hungry all the time anymore. I read that after a while the body gets used to the nutrient dense food and doesn´t crave junk/calories.
Beans, nuts and bananas might help you feel more satiated.

AGR

What works for me the most is nuts,oatmeal,sesame seeds(I like to eat those with a bit of honey and maple syrup) and rye bread filled with something.

coyote

weaning your self off the Modern Western Diet is bound to give you cravings

much of the processed food has chemicals added which cause you to crave it. the food industry does that on purpose to get you hooked into buying their products, much like a drug dealer pushing crack on the schoolyard.

processed food is addictive - that's not hunger you're feeling, but addiction cravings. consider yourself in recovery. be strong. you can beat it!

Last edited:
I don't know why people keep mentioning cravings. I said cravings AREN'T the issue, especially since I cut back on junk a month ago. The issue is genuine hunger. Food cravings don't cause your stomach to rumble and feel hollow.

I think I just need to eat full 3-part meals, 3x a day, (instead of a hundred tiny snacks), and I'll be fine. And of course what works for me doesn't necessarily work for another; we're all a little different.

Last edited:
pssst... i gotta bag of Doritos in my cupboard if you're interested

:ironicsmile:

Hah. Nice try :p I don't even like those much.

I had a flourless chocolate torte yesterday after dinner, oh my gooddd was that good. It didn't send me into a frantic sugar craze though, I ate it and was satisfied :)

Honda

Many reasons and most likely something is not right with your eating, take these notes below and do more research about it and make sure you know how this can affect your body as you dont want to eat stuff that might cause more harm or deprive yourself from stuff that your body might require. If you feel that you are getting pale, low on energy, weak, drowsy, etc.. Please consult a doctor and try to get a blood test to see if you are short on certain nutrients..

The best source I could recommend is TwinMuscleWorkout channel on youtube, they got very valuable dieting advice that can help everybody, stuff like this:

1. You may be dehydrated:
TMW: This Is Very Important Regardless of Your Fitness Goals!!!!!!!! - YouTube

2. NO to processed foods, Soft drinks, white sugar, candy bars, fast foods, fried foods, nacho cheese, chips, white bread, instant oatmeal, ice cream, pizza, pasta, fake 'low fat' foods.. (have some once every 10 days, aka cheat day).

3. Eat more whole wheat breads, fruits (for natural carbs), veggies, white proteins (fish, chicken, turkey), beans, natural oatmeal (slow burning carbs), light colored cheese, olive oil (for fat)

4. balance your meals, each meal should contain some protein, as far a I heard protein slows down digestion.. Plus, whole wheat also makes you feel fuller. The usual ratios for these is like 50% carbs, 35% proteins, 15% fat

You need Fat (testosterone for men), Carbs (energy) and Proteins (building blocks)!! You need them all so your meals should be balanced but you must ensure you get them from healthy sources ex:
Fat: olive oil, meat, certain nuts
Carbs: Whole wheat bread, Oat Meal, veggies, fruit
Protein: White meats, fish, beans

5. Eat a decent quantity, dont deprive yourself of the quantity that makes you feel fulfilled, otherwise you will start eating snacks every 5 minutes which does the opposite of what you want.

6. Learn to develop a healthy eating habit for a lifetime.. This is it, you will spend the rest of your life eating healthy foods... Gradually you will learn to adjust and change your eating habits accordingly.. Dedicate a cheat day once every 7-10 days to have that nasty fatty processed meal but make sure you also exercise to burn all those fats, build some muscle and ensure your body is always releasing those positive feel good chemicals..

Last edited:

telepathine

it might not be the best thing to do, it might not work for you, but drinking hot tea has helped me. and i find it calming, yay.