Have you ever thought of living alone?

Aru_Sarutobi

If so tell me how it feels, are you able to achieve inner peace much more than living with others? What are the benefits of living alone? :)

I'm 17 , and when I come home from highschool, I make a protein drink, go outside and jog for 4 to 5 miles and come back home to stretch, do 60 pushups etc. then both my mom and my sister come home and start nagging me to death for no reason, my energy gets completely drained, like my body is turning into a robot and I get tense. I still workout the next day, but I really get tired of going through the same thing over and over again day after day, and I do not want to stay after school, because that would make me even more drained, somehow I feel like I recharge when I am alone, my sister doesn't understand that because she's an extreme extrovert. And I really feel like getting out of this house, or moving out of America and into a village that I can meditate in or something. I just can't deal with this lol, its driving me crazy!!!!!!(not that crazy,lol,I mean come on its almost summertime!)

Last edited:

awkwardamanda

I'm 24 and I'm still living with my brother and parents. I'm not at all ready to move out. I need to get my life somewhat sorted out first. But I definitely want to live alone some day. I couldn't move in with a friend, roommate, or (hypothetical) boyfriend when I move out. I'm just so introverted that I'd feel like anybody else was getting in the way. I need my space and at some point I just need to be able to do things my way. I wouldn't want to just live with somebody out of convenience. I don't want to move in with a guy unless I plan to keep him. Sometimes the thought of sharing a home with somebody (aside from the family I've grown up in) kinda scares me. I think I'd have to be very happy and very comfortable with somebody in order to share a living space with them. I just hope I don't end up living alone forever. But it is a possibility. I'll choose being alone over living with somebody I'm not happy with just for companionship. Unfortunately there's gonna be a shatstorm when I do decide I want to move out. I'm diabetic. I was told by a doctor that I could never live alone. I could get bad low blood sugar and potentially pass out and die. It's kind of a scary thought, but I want to live alone anyway. My mom, however, has always been overprotective and still is. She hates to leave me alone for a week. Note that I said I'm 24. My parents went away for about a week not too long ago and apparently she told my (younger) brother, "Take care of your sister." His response to that was, "She's 24. She can wipe her own ass." Hell if I'm staying at home until I get married. That's probably what my mom expects. I make no assumptions that I'll even get married and living at home when I'm 30-something reduces the chances of that. Ugh! There's gonna be hell somewhere down the road::(:

awkwardamanda

LOL::p: I'm 30 something and I live alone, and I really like it. After living with a previous boyfriend, I now appreciate "my space". When you live with someone, sometimes you have to put up with eachother's habits, its not that easy living with someone when your in a relationship. You have to find the right personality, same as a roomate. I have known people who purposely live separately and they got along better than when they lived together. It's not that bad if you live alone in your 30's, It's pretty common. I'm a little terrified at the thought of someone moving in. My Mom freaked out when I first moved out when I was 23, she's very protective too, but in a weird way, more possessive. She was really upset, but I really needed to do it for myself. I guess I'm stubborn.:) The benefits are you have no one to answer to and you can do whatever the hell you want and when you want to do it.

I'm not sure if you may have misunderstood what I said there, so I'll clarify just in case. There's nothing wrong with living alone in your 30s. When I said "living at home when I'm 30-something" I meant "living with my parents when I'm 30-something."

Zeyla

When I left home about four months ago, I moved into a flat with a then-close-friend, aquatince, and two Christians, who I'd never meet before then... To make a long story short, it basically merged with a Christian intentional community (aka, what many people would call a cult). I've since been ostracized, harrased, threatened, and am moving out as soon as the hoildays come.
You're better off living on your own then living with a group who seem "too good". If you find a group of people who apparently accept your SA and other issues, be careful, they may have other intentions :p
Now I'm going to be flatting with just one other person, a good friend from High School, who also has SA. Maybe you could also find someone else with SA, and live with them? Not that I've tried it yet, but I'm thinking it should work well :)

Lost Girl

As terrible as it may seem, a few times when at my worst I thought about leaving my partner and little girl and leaving to live somewhere on my own. I know! Horrible! But I'm just being honest... There are times where my partner just cannot understand why I am the way I am - when I just cannot bring myself to leave the house or see this person or that person, or even go for a walk... and there are times where I absolutely feel as though my daughter would be better off without me. I try so hard to hide my SA from her, I don't want her to end up like me, ya know? Her dad is so outgoing, that I sometimes think that even though it would be hard for her to be without her mother, and my partner would be heart-broken, that in the end it would be for the best....When I am at my worst, I really do hold them back from life and I hate that I do that ::(:.

madness_lover

I shared a house with my best friends for a semester a couple of years ago. The first couple of weeks I was desperate to come back home but I got used to it. I definitely enjoyed living away from home. My mood improved and I could concentrate better. Can't wait to move out. I have a sort of 'free spirit' and don't really form bonds with a particular place. Deep down my wish is to live by myself, even thinking of leaving the country.Total independence and isolation. The thought of someone messing with my things makes me cringe but I wouldn't necessarily mind company either.

If you aren't used to it the first weeks/months will be the hardest. 'What the hell did I get myself into??' may cross your mind on occasion. Once you get over that it is a very pleasant experience. No explanations, absolute privacy, no fights with housemates over silly things and the like. The only downside is that living alone can get boring at times. You may be in a good mood and there's no one to talk to.

Last edited:

nopark

I live with my sister but she's never actually here--pretty much lives at her boyfriends house; only comes home a few times a week to fetch something or other. I have a feeling they'll move in together soon. And I'm moving out to another city soon anyway.

It's a double-edged sword. I love being alone. I don't like to talk to people very often and I love the quietness. And I'm a very private person. So in that sense, being alone totally rocks. But on the other hand I'm alone way too much--not so good for someone with SAD. At least if you live with someone there's some human interaction, you know?

I've found that the longer I'm alone, the worse my SAD gets. And since I actually like being alone most of the time, I don't try very often to be around people. So it ends up becoming a downward spiral. When I actually need to do something, even something as routine as going to the supermarket, it becomes a trial. So part of my uh "plan" for self improvement lately has been to get out and about more often so this doesn't happen. (And the last week has been an utter failure lol).

So for someone with SAD I wouldn't recommend living alone. But I'm a hypocrite and don't plan on taking my own advice. I like being alone too much to change.

Silentknight

I probably will when I move out to Toronto as for now I'm still with the family. I hope that I will one day find someone to fall in love with so I don't have to live alone but I highly doubt it and have prepared myself mentally to live alone by isolating myself from my family as best as I can.

Pink_Paula

I'm in the process of getting my own place, It's about time i moved out and did things 100% for myself. I'm actually pretty excited about making the move, i feel ready to do it and i'm not scared at all. I just want the next few weeks to hurry up so i can get in there and start decorating hehe

elfkin

im 32 and always lived with my parents, though ive had a flat outside the main house for bout 4 yrs now, i do think about moving out, but it seems whenever i start to get to a point where i could handle it, something happens and i crash again, i just dont know if i could handle living by myself, it is scary, but i cant help feeling that i am so reliant on them, it often makes me feel abnormal and guilty, wondering if it would make a difference to my life if i could manage it. I know right now there is no way i could, in a bad low for over 6 months and been trying to find a med that will work again without much luck, cant even do the most basic things for myself, and incapable of working, so will be a while yet before i can even consider it seriously again. sorry if im just spouting my problems rather than trying to answer yours.

bigrob

I can honestly saw I lived alone for 2 years after my divorce and did so well I was taken off all my medicine.

Then I got married again and doing so bad I'm on four.:confused:

I just don't do well with people period....no matter who it is.

jamez

Yea...I thought about it a few times. But it never materialized. Since I'm a joint owner of the house I'm living in with my family and helping to pay it off.

I'm 24 now. It still can happen but I feel I can still be independent and free even living at home with family.

rigby1987

Hey , I DO live alone in a 1bedroom flat.

The reason i do is probably the same reason i have social anxiety , My parents .Life at my parents was bad ( arguing etc) making my SA worse

I got a doctors note in order to "gain" my own place but it can be lonely at times , i find night time the hardest part and obviously sitting in.

Ive recently got myself a little staffy puppy though cos i need to get out more and need a companion .Often its hard to keep up with toilet training especially when i dont want to step out the door .

But ive gotta get out to keep from goin insane ..................

Ah what a ****ty position to be in.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I've lived alone quite a bit and have a lot/hate relationship with it. Living alone is so much easier. It's so much less stressful than dealing with parents, roommates, etc.

The problem is that left to my own devices I tend to keep taking that further--I'll stop answering the phone, or emails, or anything else until I'm just holed up in there, rotting. This seems to feed the depression.

rigby1987

The problem is that left to my own devices I tend to keep taking that further--I'll stop answering the phone, or emails, or anything else until I'm just holed up in there, rotting. This seems to feed the depression.

2nd'ed the more time spent alone/secluded the worse i seem to get regarding anxiety/depression .

But on the other hand if i had never moved out i would be still in my bedroom listening to the endless ****e that my mum and dad would yell at each other.

Considering this very fact, i have to thank myself lucky that i am out of their and don't have to listen to it anymore .

rigby

Ignace

I would like to ever have a wife to live with, but since that's not gonna happen: I wouldn't mind living alone. If I'm ever capable of offcourse..
@rigby1987: Michael Jackson > everyone else. :)

SoulSeeker

Banned
I want my own place yeah. I have to get out of this shared house (parents). I feel like i cannot fully be me..unless i have my own space. Ultimately, I want to live with someone special.

Ignace

I want my own place yeah. I have to get out of this shared house (parents). I feel like i cannot fully be me..unless i have my own space. Ultimately, I want to live with someone special.

I got that too, I feel so restricted around here. I always think I would be way more happy when I live on my own. After a while I would be desperate to share the house with.::(:

Luke1993

I would like to a lot, I think my family is a big reason for my SA, but problem is I don't know where I could move to and there don't seem to be any jobs going these days.