have you ever missed a possible relationship because of shyness

Dodger

Over the summer there was this girl I really liked from work but I was to shy and scared to tell her how I felt. now we are both away at school and I may not see her again. I really miss her and feel very sad about it this girl was someone I liked more than any other girl I have liked.

AGR

Some times,but I never cared about those girls anyway,unlikely that I would have a future with them,I only cared about one.

iamthenra

Over the summer there was this girl I really liked from work but I was to shy and scared to tell her how I felt. now we are both away at school and I may not see her again. I really miss her and feel very sad about it this girl was someone I liked more than any other girl I have liked.

I have grown used to this feeling... Since I was very young around the age of 10.... Till now, age 41... I see women who I would love to talk to, but can't... Frustration, pain, depression... Yeah, it hurts.... Just try not to let it bother ya. It's a rough road, believe me!
3759938111_2eb8505e1c_o.gif

Dodger

I don't want to have to think this is how my whole life will be. I want a wonderful girl in my life. I really wish a girl could come up to me to talk to me.

iamthenra

I don't want to have to think this is how my whole life will be. I want a wonderful girl in my life. I really wish a girl could come up to me to talk to me.

I feel your pain.... I understand it all too well. I've spent many nights wondering if I will ever be with someone.... I came close, with eHarmony and PlentyOfFish.com... I say close, because I actually met a few women. For whatever reason it is just easier to initially meet on the internet, before you physically meet in person. I have wanted a girl friend my entire life... Now, I am pretty much too old anyways... Not too many women left that don't have more issues than I do... Just gets harder the older you get....

One day I was at a public place filling out some forms when I heard someone say my name. I jerked my head toward the voice. What I saw was terrifying. It was a cute girl from my class. I could feel my neck stiffening. For a moment I stood there. I had a blank madman stare on my face and I muttered a "hi" under my breath. The next thing I know, I'd scurried over to a corner and pretended to be busy reading something.

Ok maybe it's not that dramatic. But that's pretty much what happens when people try to get close to me.

Argamemnon

It's a long story and I'm too lazy to explain, but yes, I sort of "rejected" a beautiful girl (the type of girl I can only dream about) in 2006. But I wouldn't say it was due to shyness, I have much bigger problems than shyness. I have been fantasizing and dreaming about her in the past few years ::(:

Last edited:

this_portrait

Yep, I've definitely backed out on pursuing a relationship due to shyness. However, when I really think about it later on, I can't seem to see myself with the guy I almost got into a relationship with in the first place.

Septor

I can't name any one instance where I missed a chance of being in a relationship but I'm sure I have in the past.Im so bad at reading people I wouldn't know if a girl was flirting with me.Even if I knew girl was interest in me,I'm not sure I could do anything about it and I can't see my self approaching a girl first.

klytus

Most definitely not. I have never met anyone I would have wanted to be in a relationship with. Plus that I am more or less unable to read people, thence I wouldn't know - like Septor - if a girl was interested in me in any way unless she told me. Even if she were to tell me, I would reject her, irrespective of my feelings for her. That is the way it must be.

Rxqueen

This happens to me all the time because whenever I come within three feet of someone I like I become a mute and can't figure out how to talk. Not only that but if a guy somehow finds the nerve to talk to me I can come off as a bitch because I don't know how to talk to guys and end up saying very stupid things. In short, I highly doubt a relationship is in my future.

Kinetik

No, because as a guy it seems to be up to me to make the relationship happen. That's all fine and well, but when you don't socially network, it becomes a chore. The way it goes is that I randomly meet just one girl, completely unrelated to anything or anyone I've known, and then it develops into something. It's not like I get hit on and then can choose. It's my job to do the legwork. Like I said, that's alright by me, but it's a bit of a hassle and can sometimes be tricky if I'm going through a particularly isolated/anxious phase.

Adammm

Yeah, this has happened to me too. I've had a couple of instances in the past where i've became pretty good friends with a girl, and started to like them, but have been to shy to ask them out. I'm useless at reading signals off people anyway, so i usually have no idea whether a girl likes me or not, and i fear rejection too much to risk making a move. This is pretty much the main area of my social anxiety which hasn't improved in the past few years :\

JCS008

I've missed a few possible relationships these past few years. Not due to shyness, but I just want to be able to put my attention and focus in the relationship. And these past few years dealing with my OCD and other important aspects of my life, I"ve ignored the relationship scene. I've gone on a few dates, but most of it never materialized into anything because I don't want to go "half-assed" into a relationship. It wouldn't be fair to the woman I'm involved with and I would just feel guilty if my heart weren't into it. I've passed up some great women as a result, but I do feel justified in my actions. I mean I have a whole boatload of issues in my life I need to take care of first. Anyone I'm in a relationship right now would just suffer from that neglect. So I figure to avoid it for now, and not neglect anyone. I don't mind casual dating, and that works out fine, but I always feel guilty if I lead anyone on.

LadyWench

Yeah, kind of. We sort of "went out" for a couple of months. He was my first kiss. He was also incredibly shy with low self-esteem (like me). It was difficult for me to make the first move, or initiate anything in fear of rejection, even though I knew he had liked me for years.

He ended up going out of town for 9 weeks to become a Corrections Officer at the prison. Once he returned, we never went out again. I was too shy to do anything about it, and I think he assumed I didn't like him anymore (yes, he's THAT insecure). We still talk sometimes, but he's got a daughter now by a woman he claimed to have hated. Blah blah blah. Stupid stuff.

I guess to make this simple and short, my answer is YES. Only my situation was a bit different than yours.