Has anyone ever tried meditation?

JohnnAY

Hi, recently I've been really thinking about getting into meditation but I don't the first thing about it. I've only ever attempted it once on my own in a park. For some reason whenever I close my eyes out in the open, I keep thinking somethings' trying to sneak up on me, like a lion, or ninjas. They tell you to clear your mind, but I can't-it's a chaotic mess upstairs!

Just wondering if anyone practices meditation or have in the past, and what the experience has been like. Perhaps some tips or advice? Has it helped?

Starry

I've tried it, but I'm not very good at it since I find it impossible to clear my mind. Though I find I do better if I focus intently on something like my breathing and imagine a flame in front of me. When I can focus on those things it works quite well and definitely leaves me feeling more relaxed. All I can say is that it requires practice and you shouldn't give up if you find it difficult, as it becomes easier with time.

JohnnAY

Ah, I see. Yea, I was having a hard time with the concept of clearing your mind. I mean, you can't think of NOTHING. Even if you sit in a empty room and close your eyes, your brain is still receiving information through other senses. Great advice though, I will try to focus on something repetitive. Thanks Starry.

Also, how do you know when you have a achieved a state of meditation, or do you not?

Starry

I know I'm meditating well once I feel calm and focusing becomes easy, rather than forcing my mind to focus. But I don't know about other people. I suppose you just keep trying until it feels right.

Nathália

I've tried meditating with high frequencies/binaural beats and it's one the best success I've personally had at meditating attempts. I rarely try it because it doesn't even be on my mind to try because I'm so ocd about too many other things to even care.

I used to lay on my bed, crack a window open and just practice my breathing. My anxiety can cause me to take shallow breaths, it's good to be aware of that.

In the spring I love it because the birds come out to chirp, I can hear the trees swaying in the wind and leaves rattling mimicking the sounds of ocean water. It's what makes you comfortable.

Good luck.

Anxiety can be so much about fighting. I don't know if it's meditating, but I let my thoughts come and go. I allow my self to feel shame and fear every once in a while and it can be a release. Try a variety of techniques, maybe research some? Or maybe you just need to put your thoughts out there? I do not know. Hope something works for you.

JohnnAY

Yea, a state of calmness is the main goal for me. I actually just entered binaural beats on youtube, I can see how this helps.

I also have a tendency to take shallow breaths in rapid succession but only when in social settings. I hope it gets better for you.

Thanks for the great advice guys.

FallenFeathers

I got taught some mediation/relaxation techniques by my c.b.t therapist for helping to get to sleep. It really helped... it's hard at first but I do it without thinking now.

There are lots of books out there, but I'm sure a lot of them are those dodgy self help ones just trying to make money, so maybe look for a book which is recommended.

Like most things, if you really want it to work then you have to do the hard work, but the little I have done has really helped me, and I'm very cynical when it comes to spiritual things.

Earthcircle

I believe that things like meditation and yoga help slightly for social anxiety, but only slightly. On the other hand, virtually nothing helps substantially, so you might as well do the yoga and meditate. A slight improvement is better than nothing at all.

Earthcircle

I was having a hard time with the concept of clearing your mind. I mean, you can't think of NOTHING.

I believe you are taking it too literally. The point is to stop pursuing lines of thought and just let your mind relax. Trying vehemently not to think at all will turn out to be just another form of OCD.

gustavofring

In the books of Eckhart Tolle he gives some "portals" to presence and awareness.

From what I gathered:
1. Sense perception: simply observing the room you are in, objects you see, a plant or flower or anything really, without mentally labelling them. Try to be aware the spaciousness and the aliveness in the room or object.

2. Inner body awareness: Try to feel the energy inside your body. For example focus on breathing, or one that I find very powerful: try to focus on the aliveness inside bodyparts (for example the hands). Closing my eyes and feeling the energy in my hands is what I do throughout the day when I feel my thoughts are running rampant. It immediately is calming because it is easy, and focussing on the energy automatically takes attention away from the mind.

3. Watching thoughts. To make this easier, ask yourself a question while trying to clear the mind: What's the first thought that enters my mind?

Don't take your thoughts too seriously. Be compassionate with them. Instead of beating yourself up for having thoughts, allow them to be. Instead of saying: "damnit there did my racing thoughts go again" say something like "ah, there it was again. That's no big deal." Possibly laugh at them.

4. Surrender: the letting go of mental-emotional resistance to what is.

Rawz

I don't stick with it really good, but I do meditate. I find doing even a small amount 10-15 minutes every day really helps. And the more I do, the more relaxed I feel. I also find that it seems to help me think and focus better.

As other people have said, don't think too hard about trying to clear your mind. Just try to focus on your breathing some, or maybe some music. You will keep thinking of other things. Whenever you catch yourself thinking about other things, focus on your breathing again. You might not be able to for very long before you start thinking of other things. But you just do what you can. It will take practice. If you stick with it, you will get better.

I find that sitting up, in sort of a lotus position (I don't think I can do any of the real/traditional positions, I'm not flexible enough) works much better for me than anything else. I think it's physiological.

laure15

3. Watching thoughts. To make this easier, ask yourself a question while trying to clear the mind: What's the first thought that enters my mind?

I also meditate from time to time, but I find that watching my thoughts can lead to more thoughts and eventually, I become engrossed in my thoughts. When I meditate, I pay attention to my breathing.

I find that sitting up, in sort of a lotus position (I don't think I can do any of the real/traditional positions, I'm not flexible enough) works much better for me than anything else. I think it's physiological.

I'm the opposite. Sitting in the lotus position makes me feel uncomfortable, many times. I find laying down flat on my back to be much better.

After I meditate, I listen to music and I'm not sure if music counteracts the effects of meditation? Listening to music, especially lyrical music, makes my mind wander a lot.

FallenFeathers

I believe you are taking it too literally. The point is to stop pursuing lines of thought and just let your mind relax. Trying vehemently not to think at all will turn out to be just another form of OCD.

You nailed it there :) I have been trying to write out what my therapist taught me, but struggled to word this exact point.

Anyway for those that were curious I was taught to get into a comfy position I could maintain without having to move.

Close your eyes. If you find your body is tense, either working from head to toe or toe to head, tense your muscles for a second or two then relax them one by one, do this until you feel a bit more relaxed at least in your body.

Then try and picture something relaxing, for me it's being In a jungle or Forrest surrounded by nature, but it can be anything you find relaxing. Then just observe your thoughts, you can't stop them, that's not th point and if you try to you will break yourself out of the state, be aware of them but don't like.. follow them or dwell on them, just let them flick through your brain.

I think it's all about learning to view thoughts as not always something you have to dwell on or at least take their control over us away. I personally was so skeptical about this, but since by sleeping was fubar, I did it anyway because I had nothing else to do except stare at a ceiling, and it really has calmed my racing thoughts which use to be terrible when I tried to sleep.

I was lucky enough to have a therapist help me with this, she was doing c.b.t but her main education if you wan't to call it was very much in something called acceptance therapy which I advise people looking into :) Anyway the point I was getting at is the first few times she sort of talked through it, calming words so it might very well be worth getting some relaxation tapes if you struggle to hit that relaxed state by yourself at first.

coyote

i find it is easier to focus on something - it needs to be something real, tangible, and present in the world - and let go of what's going on inside my mind

sitting crossed-legged on a pillow and humming is certainly one way to do it

but meditation can also involve doing something active - running, swimming, sweeping the floor - anything that allows you to focus on the present and let go of your thoughts

the more you practice doing this, the easier it becomes

dmsteyn

Hi everyone! Haven't posted in a long while, but I'm glad I'm back.

On meditation, I've recently started trying mindfulness meditation, and so far, it really seems to be helping. It was suggested to me by a psychiatrist, so it is definitely evidence-based.

I'm aware, however, that meditation takes commitment, and isn't a "silver bullet" for anxiety.

Last edited:

cowboyup

Here are a few links that you may find helpful. Though they all say pretty much the same thing, you might be able to pick up a few tips that are useful. For me, what helps with the breathing part and calming down, is to do the 7-7-7 breathing. That is, breathe in the count of 7, hold for the count of 7, and release on the count of 7. I have found that when I get unusually frustrated in a situation, I can stop and do the 7-7-7 breathing and (very) temporarily helps calm me down.

Good luck :)

Meditation for Beginners: 20 Practical Tips for Quieting the Mind : zenhabits

How To Meditate: A 10 Step Beginner’s Guide

How to Meditate for Beginners | The Conscious Life