Geez I hate shaving

WastedPotential

makes my face all red and stuff.

maybe I should get a better razor.

suggestions?
i just use disposable ones for a few months, until they start to rust.
that's not good, is it

Dave_McFadden

Maybe you do this already, but when you're done, DRY the razor off THOROUGHLY before you put it back; don't just let it air-dry. Easy thing to overlook. The blade will stay sharp longer. Of course, if the blade is sharper you won't have to press as hard and you'll have less irritation.

I used to use the non-disposable kind (Gillete Sens-a-trec or something like that) until my local Acme started putting these little red things on the end of each prong of the razor blade display to prevent customers from just pulling them off like any normal item. So if you wanted to buy one of those razors, you had to find a salesperson to assist you. For razor blades. I guess the reason Acme's parent company's revenues were down $52 million last quarter is because people kept stealing shaving items. So they added this "security" feature. That's when I discovered disposables lasted just as long, did just as good a job, and were a hell of a lot cheaper.

WastedPotential

actually, I didn't think about drying the razor instead of letting it airdry, thanks.

i uh didn't have anyone to teach me about razors and stuff, I guess.

i got a 5-pack for christmas last year and i just started my final razor a week or two ago.
maybe i shouldn't be such a cheapskate.

Thelema

Try shaving with a straight razor...Will totally change your perspective

A straight razor will give much less irritation than any 9 blade razor you're going to find. More blades mean MORE irritation, the razor companies found out long ago that if someone buys a straight razor that lasts 20 years...no money can be made from that. So fast forward through the evolution of razors to make more money and you get 5 blade razors...add a blade, you make an inferior product, but you make more money on the refills

Get the ones with a couple blades and leave the 10 blade razors for the rich people that like to support the BS razor claims that just make shaving in to an arms race

ChrisAtHome

Well Christmas aint too far off now. You could let "santa" know you'd really appreciate it if he would up the amount to 2 packs of 5 it'll hold you through until next Christmas. :wink:

Merry Shaving to ya!!!

Timbo

Hey WP, I have the same problem. I've been shaving at night before bed for years now. It gives my skin time to recover. I also prefer to have the 5-o'clock stubble look as it kind of hides some of my face and makes me look older!

All the best to you.

WeirdyMcGee

Yes, the type of razor matters-- but it's also important to use warm water to soften your skin first; and to use cool water or aftershave to close your pores after; AND moisturize your skin at the end.

edit: actually, aftershave isn't really needed at all. Moisturizer is, though.

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
What i like about shaving: I'm the one doing it, so I'm watching, and I always get it right!

What I don't like is most haircutters get it all wrong. It's always been this way, so it must me making the mistakes, and not giving the right orders. When i see in the mirror behind, it's tooo late. Can't redo the hair. They just keep cutting for tooo long! I say STOP and they refuse and say - can't! It'd look silly

Metal_isthe_Answer

I use a gillette fusion razor, use hot water, wet my face first, then use the shaving cream.
I smear the cream in like im washing my face, fill up the sink a bit and run it through the water every few strokes. I cant stand having to shave, Id prefer not growing facial hair, fortunately it grows slowly so once a week is all I need

Acegame

You just need good raizors. I use Mach3 from Gilette and it works great. Just make sure you change the raizor in time before they get blunt. And ofcourse use shaving cream and hot water.

Always use good aftershave. It desinfects your face after you shave so you dont get pimples or something. After that you can always use some moisturizer if your skin feels dry.

R3K

Try shaving with a straight razor...Will totally change your perspective

A straight razor will give much less irritation than any 9 blade razor you're going to find. More blades mean MORE irritation, the razor companies found out long ago that if someone buys a straight razor that lasts 20 years...no money can be made from that. So fast forward through the evolution of razors to make more money and you get 5 blade razors...add a blade, you make an inferior product, but you make more money on the refills

Get the ones with a couple blades and leave the 10 blade razors for the rich people that like to support the BS razor claims that just make shaving in to an arms race

lol... i use 5 and 6 blade razors, and luckily they don't irritate my skin, but maybe that's just me. i have found though, that i have to use more shave strokes with a lesser-bladed razor than with the 5-blade Shick Hydro i'm using right now. but this is probably due to my whiskers being more dense and crazy like a lumberjack's mug. so for me, lesser blades means more shave strokes, which actually means more irritation :mad:...

you just gotta experiment with different razors, shaving creams, aftershaves... and of course you gotta perfect your stroke;). and remember the ladies like a spiffy, clean-shaven man :cool:

megalon

I use an electric shaver and there's nothing I can do to get rid of the irritation and red bumps on my neck and the bottom of my chin. The rest of my face, it works great. I've tried four or five different shavers, but to no avail. The one I currently use cost me over a hundred bucks. I've tried all sorts of pre-shave and post-shave lotions. Nothing works. I've done everything short of trying a real razor. I'm thinking that would probably make it worse.

Mannii

My face gets irritated and red after a wet shave. Have changed to using a foil electric shaver (rotary electric shavers are not good for my sensitive skin) and shave before bed to let my skin recover. This change made a big difference for me.