Gamers thread

I've been kind of obsessed with fighting games recently. Been playing Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. So much fun, but really difficult to learn how to play. Also been playing the 2011 Mortal Kombat. Planning on getting Soul Caliber V and Street Fighter X Tekken.

WishingICould

I also bought this a few months ago, and really enjoyed SH2. It was the first time I owned, but my friend had it on the PS2, and I always wanted to have it.

I've been a Silent Hill fan for years. I played Silent Hill 2 and 3 on the PS2 when it first came out.

drganon

Since I've got a working computer again, I've been playing the sims 2 again. Other than that, I've also been playing minecraft. I have more fun creating stuff than actually playing the "game" portion of either game.

BamanPiderman

I'm playing Alan Wake and Mirror's Edge.

Both are phenomenally fun games. Both phenomenal pretty games, now that I mention it. I like when games have nice ''Oh, I see what you did there'' details. Particularly Alan Wake does this nicely. Exploring the environment (when you're not busy trying to salvage what's left of your aliveliness) is so nice and interesting.

Both Alan Wake and Mirror's Edge are some of my recent favs. They both have some awesome soundtracks too. And the Max Payne shoutouts are priceless. :*D

Klonoa

I'm re-playing Boktai 3 in hard mode. I'm trying to do a Gun-only to get Red-Django rank when I finish. I'm at the Pirate Island, but since it's winter, a gun-only run proves hard since sun sets early. And using swords would ruin my rank. And for some moronic reason, the Mega Buster counts as a sword and not a gun... Huh...

Oh well, at least I get to hear that sweet music:

Pirate Island ~ Boktai 3 - YouTube

FallenFeathers

Any Diablo3 players on EU servers who would like to maybe add each other on battle net. I could do with some cool people to play with to help get dem hellfire rings.

If your not very far in maybe I can help you ^.^

Rawz

I'm currently playing Quake 2. Very fun, great music. I hadn't played any of the Quake games before this, so I'm going to play them all now (well not Quake 3). After this, I'm going to go back to Doom. I'm not sure I ever finished any of the Doom games, and I still haven't played Doom 3.

I've been quite invested in Mass Effect 2 the last few days. So many side quest to do.. Kind of a shame that so many missions are resolved by shooting, though.

drganon

I've been quite invested in Mass Effect 2 the last few days. So many side quest to do.. Kind of a shame that so many missions are resolved by shooting, though.

Word of advice, don't bother playing mass effect 3( if you haven't already). The ending will just piss you off. Just pretend that Shepard and whoever you eloped with defeated the reapers and are living happily in some tropical paradise.

Word of advice, don't bother playing mass effect 3( if you haven't already). The ending will just piss you off. Just pretend that Shepard and whoever you eloped with defeated the reapers and are living happily in some tropical paradise.

I'm playing Mass Effect 3 now. I'm ever so aware of the ending being notoriously bad/vague (it been hard to avoid, really).

I bought it with the extended cut, so I'm hoping that'll count for something. But yeah, I'm braced for disappointment, so I think it'll be fine. ;D

(Don't tell me what the ending is, though. I'd like the game to disappoint me in due time.)

Rawz

The ending will just piss you off. Just pretend that Shepard and whoever you eloped with defeated the reapers and are living happily in some tropical paradise.

I played Mass Effect 3 and I still think that's what happened. :p That horrible ending was just a recurring nightmare that Shepard has, possibly caused by PTSD. :p

I really need to play the Extended Cut sometime soon. I just can't right now because of my video card.

squidgee

The ending was horrible, but not horrible enough to ruin the entire game. Everything up until those last few hours was okay. Well mostly.

squidgee

Alleigha♥;706675 said:
I downloaded the game "Slender" on my laptop, and have been playing it. Scary as f**k.

I dare you to play Amnesia and Penumbra.
Speaking of Amnesia, the sequel is coming out soon, yay! :)

drganon

I'm playing Mass Effect 3 now. I'm ever so aware of the ending being notoriously bad/vague (it been hard to avoid, really).

I bought it with the extended cut, so I'm hoping that'll count for something. But yeah, I'm braced for disappointment, so I think it'll be fine. ;D

(Don't tell me what the ending is, though. I'd like the game to disappoint me in due time.)

Just for telling me not to, I will tell you the ending. In the end it is revealed that Captain Anderson is.........YOUR FATHER!!!!

Just kidding, I'm not that big of a jerk.

Just for telling me not to, I will tell you the ending. In the end it is revealed that Captain Anderson is.........YOUR FATHER!!!!

Just kidding, I'm not that big of a jerk.

I've just finished it. Good grief, that game really tugs on your heart strings. The extended cut does significantly improve it (checked YouTube for the original endings).

It is kind of a bummer that not many of your choices (if any) really made a difference. But the ending I choose (blue, if you curious (with the extended cut)) was good enough.

HeadFace

I'm re-playing Boktai 3 in hard mode. I'm trying to do a Gun-only to get Red-Django rank when I finish. I'm at the Pirate Island, but since it's winter, a gun-only run proves hard since sun sets early. And using swords would ruin my rank. And for some moronic reason, the Mega Buster counts as a sword and not a gun... Huh...

Oh well, at least I get to hear that sweet music:

Pirate Island ~ Boktai 3 - YouTube
That game seems pretty awesome. I tried getting one of them working on an emulator a while ago but it did not work out at all. I'm sure just getting an actual cartridge would be more fun anyway. Does it work well on stuff like the DS where the GBA slot is on the bottom?

Also I just finished Donkey Kong Country 3 today. One of the best platforming series ever, but eh... Didn't get good vibes from this one. The bosses were pretty obnoxious too.

I've been playing Silent Hill 2. I bought the Silent Hill HD collection recently. It's great being able to play it again.

I heard the HD collection was horrible compared to the originals. I don't know much about it though, seems like it's probably the same problem Twin Snakes had (introducing later game mechanics not originally in the game)

Last edited:

Klonoa

That game seems pretty awesome. I tried getting one of them working on an emulator a while ago but it did not work out at all. I'm sure just getting an actual cartridge would be more fun anyway. Does it work well on stuff like the DS where the GBA slot is on the bottom?

Also I just finished Donkey Kong Country 3 today. One of the best platforming series ever, but eh... Didn't get good vibes from this one. The bosses were pretty obnoxious too.

I heard the HD collection was horrible compared to the originals. I don't know much about it though, seems like it's probably the same problem Twin Snakes had (introducing later game mechanics not originally in the game)

Boktai: Well, the games have extra-functions in Slot 2. In Lunar Knights, depending on the game, you get extra health, energy or TRC if yer using the sun. Since my DS is a Lite and not the phat one, seeing under the sun is hard.

If you use Boktai 2 in MegaMan Battle Network 5: Double Team DS (or 3 in the japanese Rockman.EXE 5 DS: Twin Leaders) you get SolCross MegaMan, a fusion between MegaMan.EXE and Boktai 3's Sol Django.

Also... I love me DKC3 ;_; such beautiful childhood memories, although DKC2 is still my favorite.

Gameplay mechanics in older re-released games arent a bad thing if done right. Metal Gear Solid 3D has a few mechanics from 4, such as walking while crouching, which makes jungle stealth feel more... natural to me.

drganon

I've just finished it. Good grief, that game really tugs on your heart strings. The extended cut does significantly improve it (checked YouTube for the original endings).

It is kind of a bummer that not many of your choices (if any) really made a difference. But the ending I choose (blue, if you curious (with the extended cut)) was good enough.

I played it when it first came out, so I got the non extended (can't remember the color...)ending. Frankly, Bioware did a massive disservice by saying your choices matter and how the ending would be vastly different depending on those choices to the press before the game came out. I place a lot of the blame on EA who seem to ruin everything they touch now-a-days. Either way, I refuse to buy any DLC for Mass Effect 3 and I won't be buying Mass Effect 4 if there is one( unless the game states the events of 3 were all a bad dream).

^ Danger; large post ahead. You might want to pack a small lunch before proceeding.

I wouldn't replay it for the ending if I were you, either. That's what YouTube is for, right? I can imagine it was frustrating considering the carried on savegames make the trilogy one big game. But I rather liked the ending, though.

[spoilers]In the extended cut you have the same choices, but with the added bonus that the Normandy survives most of the time, and a little epilogue from Shepard as the Catalyst explaining his intend of using the Reapers to protect life instead of harvesting/destroying it. (Bebunking the theory that the last scenes on top of the Citadel are a dream (if you choose to control the Reapers anyway)).

However, what happens to the crew seems to be divided in black and white. Either they die, or they crashland on a planet and survive. I would've liked to see them live happily ever after (or not, in the case of Renagade). A vast portion of the game focusses on the character's teamwork; if Shepard HAS to make a sacrifice, at least do something special for the other characters that were as vital to the story as Shepard and the Reapers were.

I've had Tali and Garrus exclusively in missions in the entire trilogy. One would think in a game where characters matter the game tracks which character you used the most and gave you closure on them as well. But on this they unfortunately didn't make any changes. It's a single ending for the entire crew, two if you include the one where they die. The crew scene does get a twist depending on with whom you were romantically involved. Kind of lazy on their part, but that's a common complaint.[/spoilers]

I guess it's more of an ''enjoy the journey'' type game, which I ended up doing. The war present always felt pressing, and I was quite emotionally involved with quite a number of the choices you had to make, including the consequences of some (and I'm generally not one to get sappy about these things). But it's not something I'd replay for the joy of it like I would with Legend of Zelda or Portal.. It's a involved experience, but definitely not the most fun game ever. The tank controls were always a bit of a pain in the butt. Without cover spots, the whole gameplay would fall apart. Mixed feels.

Last edited: