Gamers thread

Summoning

DC universe online will become a f2p mmo starting october 12, It's goona be free, FREE, meaning you don't have to buy the game at 60$ like the first buyers did. you download it for free and play for for free. It's available for the ps3 and pc I can't wait to try it

So, about the ps3 version, we will have it free on the store + free month fee (not sure if there was one before) ?

Also, do you know if there are any of those real money shops that we usually have on f2p? Because that would suck hard :X

IGotSeoul

DCUO-Pricing.jpg

IGotSeoul

looks very similar to turbines LOTRO F2P model (subscription = unlocks vanilla everything; $5 = permanent bonus unlocks; very likely micro-transaction based but with limited "pay for power" opportunity opposed to most F2P models, more so convenience).

Last edited:

Summoning

Thanks for the info.I probably won't play it with this conditions. No auction house, small inventory and few bank slots, meh.

I really hate all those special conditions/items we get by paying in a f2p. If it is free to play, it should offer equal conditions to all players. If they want to charge, at least charge a monthly fee, so everyone can play in the same conditions, without "bonuses".

Last edited:

da_illest101

Thanks for the info.I probably won't play it with this conditions. No auction house, small inventory and few bank slots, meh.

I really hate all those special conditions/items we get by paying in a f2p. If it is free to play, it should offer equal conditions to all players. If they want to charge, at least change a monthly fee, so everyone can play in the same conditions, without "bonuses".

I hate it too but it's free, so i'm at least gonna try the game out

da_illest101

I just finished Final fantasy 7 for the who knows how many time, after not playing the game for like 12 years. Now I'm gonna challenge myself

I played FF 7, 8 ,9 , 10 , 12 and 13. I have a game of FF 3 and 4 that is not progressing fast at all. Right now I'm downloading FF1 and i'm gonna move. I tried this before but I get turn off hardcore by the graphics, even though I started gaming on the nes.

U

userremoved

Oh wow. Steam had a free mmo on there and it looks like Im the only one who doesnt have it! I've been slacking >.<

U

userremoved

Im thinking of building a gaming pc but I know very little about it. Anyone know any good places to look to read up on it?

Blabla..

Im thinking of building a gaming pc but I know very little about it. Anyone know any good places to look to read up on it?

it depends on your budget , there are so many choices you can make but it just depend on how much you are ready to shell out , and what kind of machine you want .

There is a new range of GPU coming out soon , the GTX 6xx series , a whole new architecture , a killer . So maybe it would be a good choice not to invest in two GTX 580 now. I personally have a single GTX 470 and i can run all the games maxed out , it's discontinued but replaced with a slightly more powerful GTX 560. This card cost around 200$ . I don't suggest going any lower .

It's good to make your system future proof , so investing in a good Mobo and CPU is always good if you have the money , i'm personally sticking with intel and those i7 2600k are a good choice . So make sure you get a motherboard that support your CPU , make sure it has the right socket , for example LGA 1155 in that case

The ram is important as well but cheap these days so just check out what the motherboard you have chosen supports , is it Dual channel , Triple channel , 6 or 8 GB of ram is more than enough , you could even go with 12 GB, and i suggest you get 1333mhz ram or maybe 1600, you don't need more .

A good power supply is a good idea , some cases comes with a power supply bundled but , i really don't suggest it . Stay away from those cheap plastic , noisy , dusty small cases , if you are going to put some nice parts in there you should get a decent case ,but that is just my opinion. I have a Coolermaster Cosmos and it's really quiet , it's soundproof , it's made of aluminum , its huge and spacey , and has dust filters .

A Coolermaster Cosmos vs a Cheap standard case

3272898186_16d38059d3.jpg

The good thing is that you can always upgrade a part , the GPU is usually the most upgraded part in a gamer's system and does not require any other changes if your power supply has enough wattage , upgrading a CPU sometime require changing the Motherboard to fit the different socket .

Don't forget about the Hard drive , SSD is not worth it yet , while it has greater read and write speeds it's just too expensive for it's capacity , yet , so just get a normal HDD , Western digital caviar series are good .

It's all about your budget , pips !

U

userremoved

Oh wow, thanks for taking the time to explain that man. When you say future proof it, how long have you been able to use a PC before everything was outdated? I know my current PC isnt worth crap haha. But I have so many more PC games than console that its got me thinking about it.

Blabla..

well , it depends of the Games industry , years ago , i would upgrade my GPU every years , and my whole PC every 3 years , something around that . They would constantly push the limit with pc graphics . So we all wanted to see the "new" game with maxed out graphics .

But what is happening now is that PC games devs have started developing for consoles as well , and since consoles don't get upgraded , most of the games these days are consoles ports with ****ty outdated graphics from 2006 that the poor hardware of consoles can handle. But some games still have gorgeous graphics , Battlefield 3 will definitely be a gorgeous game since they decided to develop it on PC first then trim it down for consoles . So we might get a game that looks 2011.

Future proof is just , get something above mid range , something that can handle actual games easy , if you get a system that struggles now , forget about the next games. Get a good case , it's the best thing you can do to your components and you might never need to change it again , try to read about what's coming soon , what's around the corner . A good system could easily last you 4 years or more , depending on how the technology changes , and if you want to be up to date .

I know that a new GPU architecture is coming soon (2012) so , it would be wise to wait before investing too much in a GPU , prices will drop , and from what i read , this new architecture called kepler , will be much much faster.

Mokkat

the Samaritan tech demo is pretty cool. Runs realtime on 2x580 gtx.
They made it to advocate for MS and Sony making new powerful consoles - unfortunately the "innovative" motion controllers coming onto the market probably means they will sit on their ass for a couple of more years before coming up with something new :(

Looking forward to the new 7xxx and 6xx lines of graphic cards, probably due early next year (from rumors). I bet one of those can do BF3 better than my current 5850.

Did anyone play Hard Reset, btw? Except for a little too much regen of everything/too little ammo/health management, its a pretty awesome old school shooter