Follow your dreams

Rumplestiltskin

Follow your dreams. Pursue your aspirations. Work towards your goals.

I'm so sick of hearing things like this. :thumbdown:

What if you don't have any dreams at all? Why does everyone assume that you know perfectly well what your goals are and what you should do to achieve them?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Follow your dreams. Pursue your aspirations. Work towards your goals.

I'm so sick of hearing things like this. :thumbdown:

What if you don't have any dreams at all? Why does everyone assume that you know perfectly well what your goals are and what you should do to achieve them?
I've felt and thought those same things before.

I decided to work very hard on figuring out what my dreams and aspirations were to begin with.

Now, after a great deal of effort and longs years of toil, I finally have dreams and aspirations.

:thumbup:

Ithior

I've felt and thought those same things before.

I decided to work very hard on figuring out what my dreams and aspirations were to begin with.

Now, after a great deal of effort and longs years of toil, I finally have dreams and aspirations.

:thumbup:

What sort of things did you do?

Regret93

I hate that "dream/career" rhetoric. If everyone had a career that they loved, nothing would be built. It's childhood fantasy, just garbage.

Entangled

I never liked the phrase 'follow your dreams'. I prefer to keep moving forward in reality

But anyway, relevant sloth gif!!:
IeRQA6a.gif

Odo

Banned
I think it's left over from the boomer generation when people actually had opportunities and the wage gap was a lot smaller. They taught it to their kids because they thought that things would keep getting better. And then they didn't.

You should still have goals though... or you'll turn into a lazy, jaded waste of space. They don't have to be career goals or anything conventional, but yeah... you need to have something to keep you going.

jaim38

Very few young people know what their dreams and aspirations are. In college I changed my major so many times, I couldn't count. I didn't know what I want out of life. I think, as you get older, your goals become clearer at least. I can list my New Year's resolutions, but dreams still elude me.

Meggy0001

I think its good to have goal and dreams, something to work towards. I only have a couple and they keep me sane and focussed and willing to try in life. If I didn't I would have zero motivation and probably stay in bed and just think my life is going to stay crap. For me I need something to aim for and keep me optimistic whether they are attainable or not.

Nanita

I have learned that following my socalled dreams is the only way to go for me. Every thing else fails and feels bad.

Silatuyok

I much prefer Joseph Campbell's phrase, "follow your bliss." This merely implies that you should pursue your passions; it doesn't mean that you should already have everything figured out and planned. So if you like art, for example, find a way to do art. If you really like rhinoceri, find something rhinoceros related to do. Etc, etc.. What are your passions? What is the one thing that gets you up in the morning, every morning? Whatever it is, find a way to make it a big part of your life.

Ithior

I much prefer Joseph Campbell's phrase, "follow your bliss." This merely implies that you should pursue your passions; it doesn't mean that you should already have everything figured out and planned. So if you like art, for example, find a way to do art. If you really like rhinoceri, find something rhinoceros related to do. Etc, etc.. What are your passions? What is the one thing that gets you up in the morning, every morning? Whatever it is, find a way to make it a big part of your life.

What if you don't have something like that?

I think it's left over from the boomer generation when people actually had opportunities and the wage gap was a lot smaller. They taught it to their kids because they thought that things would keep getting better. And then they didn't.
^ Agree with this.
Without the opportunities the baby boomer generation had at their disposal growing up (cheaper education, cheaper rent/housing, lifetime jobs available) I don't think subsequent generations should be thought of negatively if they can't achieve their ultimate goal/s in todays economy.