Feel like dropping out.

Weirdo

I feel like dropping out of uni. I can't stand people. Their socialness and happiness make me sick. I can't put up with all the tasks the teachers give us. I often get nervous and tense, which makes me want to gtfo immediately from class. Also, most of my classmates already think I'm weird, so I want to get away from them. Ah...I just want to stay at home for some time, get rid of my plethora of flaws and issues and then I might think about trying it again. Anyone else feels the same?

Honda

^ u gotta move ahead in life.. Its a mistake to run away from the problem.. Uni is 1 hell of a phase that has good and bad times and experiences.. You dont wana miss it and you dont want to lose your mind here... Dont think too much just be yourself and just enjoy life, just have fun... You will never find this again after uni... its normal to feel alone 1st but on time ull meet alot of differnet people...

EgoZero

^ u gotta move ahead in life.. Its a mistake to run away from the problem.. Uni is 1 hell of a phase that has good and bad times and experiences.. You dont wana miss it and you dont want to lose your mind here... Dont think too much just be yourself and just enjoy life, just have fun... You will never find this again after uni... its normal to feel alone 1st but on time ull meet alot of differnet people...
you know what pisses me off about life? That is all made of phases of hell. First school is hell, then getting driving license is hell, then going to uni is hell, then finding a job is hell and working is hell and whole ****ing life is hell.
But anyways better stay in, cause you jsut think that taking some free time will help you overcome your problems, but that won't do the trick, it will probably make them worse.

chin ho

But anyways better stay in, cause you jsut think that taking some free time will help you overcome your problems, but that won't do the trick, it will probably make them worse.
You're absolutely right.
I took this year off(medical leave of absence) to deal with my emotional mess. it's been two weeks now and I still haven't left the house.

I'm in my clinical years, and we're being evaluated daily on how we interact with our patients, number of cases done and such....having poor control on my emotions I couldn't be consistent in my performance(attendance, dealing with people...) so I gave up. I feel like a loser::(:

klytus

1. Life is heaven, actually. You make it a hell for yourself by not appreciating it. The problem is 'you', not your environment - most of the time. Dropping out of university, or moving far away won't solve anything, since you will always carry your self with you, wherever you go.

2. Possibly, even if your environment sucks, it's still you who is the problem, since it's your way of dealing with the environment that makes it unpleasant for you.

3. If you drop out, it is almost certain that you will never again return.

4. You do not need other people - or their approval - to feel happy or content with yourself. That is a state of mind which comes from within - an intrinsic property, so to speak. If you feel at home within yourself, you will never feel out of place, irrespective of where you are.

Last edited:
I was here recently, I had a mental breakdown about college. All I can say is don't, don't let others get to you. If you want to talk, I will talk.

Luke1993

I feel like dropping out of uni. I can't stand people. Their socialness and happiness make me sick. I can't put up with all the tasks the teachers give us. I often get nervous and tense, which makes me want to gtfo immediately from class. Also, most of my classmates already think I'm weird, so I want to get away from them. Ah...I just want to stay at home for some time, get rid of my plethora of flaws and issues and then I might think about trying it again. Anyone else feels the same?

Do I have two accounts here lol? You just said EXACTLY what I'm going through! Lol except I'm at college (One down from uni but same principles)

Walk

No, I wouldn't say life is heaven at all. Life is HARD. Many times, it's like you're going against the current, so if you stop moving forward, you're just getting yourself into more of a mess.

University isn't the end all and be all of life, but it can help in making you have a good life.

University or not, bottom line is: Laziness gets you nowhere in life.

Weirdo

Well I also have one more reason to quit for now. I'm the youngest one in the class. My mates are all around 19-23 and I was only 18 3 months ago. I would definitely come back within next 2 years. I just didn't feel ready at all to go to uni so soon and I was actually disappointed when I got the letter saying that I was accepted to study here.

klytus

Some people just want to fail. If there is no obvious way they could fail on their own, they create a failure on purpose. In the end, they beat themselves up about what a failure they are. As I said, if you drop out - especially based on irrational decisions - you will most likely never return again.

Life is HARD.
In retrospect, I can't say this is true. Rather the opposite. Life is, with all its downs and ups, a very pleasant experience after all.

Last edited:

Luke1993

Well I also have one more reason to quit for now. I'm the youngest one in the class. My mates are all around 19-23 and I was only 18 3 months ago. I would definitely come back within next 2 years. I just didn't feel ready at all to go to uni so soon and I was actually disappointed when I got the letter saying that I was accepted to study here.

.....Luke is that you?

Seriously haha I am in the exact same situation, also the youngest in my class! And part of me was dissapointed I got in, although at the same time I was glad.

However I have no friends unlike you. That's where our similarities end.

Anubis

ONLY drop-out of university if you have a legitimate alternative like entering the work-force or pursuing research.

Otherwise you'll literally do nothing away from school. I can tell you right now that you won't improve socially or academically by merely staying home and reading a few books. It's just not possible. I tried it for a year, I accomplished shit. It's not that you don't learn anything in your year off, it's just that you don't really any have real-life situations that allow you to test out of your new found knowledge - so you'll quickly become bored and give-up improving. When I came back to grad school, I bumped into the SAME EXACT problems that caused me to drop out. So overall, I'd say my year-off was a big waste.

So before you pull the trigger, make a plan for your year off and pursue actual career opportunities. That's the only way you'll actually prepare yourself before going back. Learn from my mistake, please :)

mismeek

I wouldnt do it.. its hard going back. i was having your problem in high school and i decided to just call in sick for a week.. you know so i could pull myself back together.. THREE MONTHS LATER.. I still hadn't left my house..

just stick with it! I hate college too. I even have to take a speech class next semester..which i know im going to fail, but im going to at least try it.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

College is pretty much killing me. I actually like having something to do, but I just can't stand the people. Especially the group work. I really can not take any more group work. Going out and "socializing" with my peers definitely just makes me feel shittier about myself. BUT my motivation to get out of my shitty redneck town outweighs my anxiety. I know if I don't go to college I will never become independent and will probably end up killing myself.
I encourage you to keep at it. Focus on your ultimate goal and the time will go by quickly.
Good Luck

Square_Eyes

It's hard, being in an environment which is dominated by outgoing, energetic, ambitious, uninhibited and, ultimately, happy individuals when you yourself possess little to none of those qualities. While a genuine passion for the subject I'm studying has kept me here to a certain extent, I feel like there's far more at stake, for me, than a qualification. In many ways, university feels like a last chance to prove to myself that, underneath this sea of symptoms, I'm actually worth something. Giving up this degree would feel like surrendering to SA completely and that's not something I'm willing to do without a fight.

I'm in my second year of studies now and I've made no friends whatsoever along the way, so, to be able to come here and speak with other people that are experiencing similar struggles has become immensely important to me. Stay strong dude and give your anxieties the finger by hanging on in there.

shore_of_glass

I also experience the same feelings towards uni. I've been there for 2 years and haven't made any friends so far. Prolly think im a weirdo. I'm there because I know I'll have a "better" life if I end what I started. It's going to be very hard indeed, lets see if I can make it....

It's hard, being in an environment which is dominated by outgoing, energetic, ambitious, uninhibited and, ultimately, happy individuals when you yourself possess little to none of those qualities. While a genuine passion for the subject I'm studying has kept me here to a certain extent, I feel like there's far more at stake, for me, than a qualification. In many ways, university feels like a last chance to prove to myself that, underneath this sea of symptoms, I'm actually worth something. Giving up this degree would feel like surrendering to SA completely and that's not something I'm willing to do without a fight.

I'm in my second year of studies now and I've made no friends whatsoever along the way, so, to be able to come here and speak with other people that are experiencing similar struggles has become immensely important to me. Stay strong dude and give your anxieties the finger by hanging on in there.

Well said. That's exactly how I feel.

Lorraine Manca

i think about dropping out constantly, I already have dropped out once. It was really great to just walk away for about a month. but reality set in eventually and i went back. i still want to drop out again, but seems to me education gives you the best shot at doing a job where you dont have to please people constantly or have some authority hanging over your head. i say dont do it, stay there. i know it sucks. quitting and starting again though its really stressful too cause you have to start from scratch, no familiar faces or anything.

Richey

the hardest part for me was struggling with certain subjects and doing well in others. i'd much rather be consistant in all of the subjects so i know i'll pass. so in the two subjects i think i might fail in i've had to email teachers pleading for a second chance to give me a little more time. because i have parents who may throw me out if i fail a subject, there was sort of a threat from them. i've found that aspect more difficult then talking to people. in fact i've found talking to people easy yet i didnt make any close friends in my class. we'd have a laugh in class and went out for lunch but never anything outside of class.

don't drop out if you're in the second year because you may as well keep going even if its painful. because if you drop out it'll still be painful. for instance you'd either end up doing nothing with yourself or you'd end up looking for employment and both of those can be just as difficult.
if you are in the first year and the course is of genuine interest then stick with it.

go and see a councelor at school as well and let it all out, thats what they want you to do so they can help you out.

Last edited:

Weirdo

.....Luke is that you?

Seriously haha I am in the exact same situation, also the youngest in my class! And part of me was dissapointed I got in, although at the same time I was glad.

However I have no friends unlike you. That's where our similarities end.

Let me make myself clear. By "mates" I meant classmates, so yeah, we're the same ^^
Anyway aren't you a little young for college? From your name I assume you're 16?

Anyway I have some more reasons:
1. I always wanted to find a gf at uni and in psychology there's a LOT more girls than guys so I have a lot to choose from but from these 35 girls in my class I'm not interested in any of them, so maybe I'd have more luck next year. I expected to find some quality(read: shy, with issues) girls here, since SA is my reason to study psych. but unfortunately that's not the case here. I expected a class half full of weirdos but most of them are completely normal.

2. I'll finally treat my hyperhidrosis and therefore when I start with a clean slate, I won't make others think I'm weird before we even meet and I'll also be able to attend the meeting party etc..
Anyway I don't really have a choice here, because we're going to have a shitload of exams soon and I didn't study the entire semester. Plus my papers for 4 subjects are due next week and I barely started working on one of them(I used the word barely because It's my "colleague" who did all the work. I'll just have to present half of it in front of the class.) Even now I should be in the library, but I'm here on SPW instead. I still don't have any books, I don't know where to search for what I need..I don't even know WHAT I need...I don't know anything. I just want to start all over again, this time properly. I mean what's the problem? Why should I graduate, for instance, 4 years sooner than someone else in my class? I know a guy who spent 2 years at home after high school. This guy is my classmate and he doesn't seem miserable at all, although he's very introverted.