Fear of specific people

Glenrowan

Anyone with social anxiety have specific fears of certain people?

E.g. for me I get more anxious around Caucasians, people in authority, professionals and extroverts.

I am less anxious around Asians (being one myself) and introverts.

FriendlyShadow

I do have certain fears of people when I'm around extroverts, tall people, people who look like they are Hollywood models, people that I work with in jobs(my boss), doctors, and even small children/babies. Well they all aren't necessarily fears, but these are some factors that make me anxious and I can't control my shakiness. I'm more comfortable with people who are at least friendly, quiet, and it's I'm almost always comfortable talking to women than I am with guys. I can't socialize with guys too well anyways...

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Yep... I'm anxious around the people in authority as well.

I also get anxious around loud, extroverted types, highly educated people and the opposite sex (females). Particular if they're close to my age and beautiful. Though, gue same could be said of older women who are attractive as well.

Though, my discomfort around women is probably rooted in being raised in female dominant, fatherless household with 2 older sisters and our Mum. And my sisters argued a far bit when I was younger. And the younger of the two will still go into a rage if you say something to her that she perceives as wrong, an insult or is said in a tone of voice that seems disinterested in what she's sayin' even going "Uh-huh" can be taken as sign you've lost interest in what she's saying, when yer just agreeing with her.

Oh, and hospital staff as well, mainly because the surgeon and doctors are all far more intelligent than I could ever be. And some female nurses can huv quite an intimidatin' vibe about them, especially if they have a bad attitude.

Can't say I'm comfortable or more at ease with guys because I've always found the men in my family as intimidating as the women. I guess I just don't fit in or feel I belong anywhere.

Megaten

I used to be terrified of women. Now its flip flopped and Im nervous around other guys. One of my professors really puts me on edge, and I think he can tell something is wrong because hes started acting funny too. Which makes me act even more awkward...

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I'm more anxious around minorities because I'm afraid they'll think my behavior is racial paranoia. I'm also more anxious around attractive women because I'm afraid they'll think my behavior is creepy.

Self-fulfilling prophecies, I guess. The more I worry, the more it's likely to happen.

Conversely, if someone is really nice and speaks to me first, I open up like anyone else. It's sad how few people there are like that though, but it also serves to remind that I'm not the only imperfect one out there.

Jessquietgirl

I do have certain fears of people when I'm around extroverts, tall people, people who look like they are Hollywood models, people that I work with in jobs(my boss), doctors, and even small children/babies. Well they all aren't necessarily fears, but these are some factors that make me anxious and I can't control my shakiness. I'm more comfortable with people who are at least friendly, quiet, and it's I'm almost always comfortable talking to women than I am with guys. I can't socialize with guys too well anyways...

I can't socialize with attractive guys that I have romantic feelings towards. Once the feelings kick in, my anxiety kicks in. This is the reason why I've never been in a relationship at all. It's as if I'm ashamed of getting involved with someone. It's a huge risk.

DanielLewis

Yes, I tend to have more fear interacting with my bosses at work. It can get pretty bad to the point where I'm visibly pretty nervous. I don't know why this happens. I think maybe because I've been fired from a job before so there's this irrational fear that they might fire me or disapprove of something I do. Or, maybe I just think they're better than me because they're in a position of higher authority. -_-

worrywort

I think for me it's all about being negatively judged or humiliated, so anyone who seems more likely of inflicting this upon me, I fear the most. Often loud people, but not always. Generally confrontational people that don't seem to have a problem with crossing other people's boundaries or respecting their privacy, but again, not always. It depends if I feel they're well intentioned or not.

FriendlyShadow

I think for me it's all about being negatively judged or humiliated, so anyone who seems more likely of inflicting this upon me, I fear the most. Often loud people, but not always. Generally confrontational people that don't seem to have a problem with crossing other people's boundaries or respecting their privacy, but again, not always. It depends if I feel they're well intentioned or not.

I actually feel the same with people who tend to judge me/criticize me on flaws about myself. It's as if I'm not even allowed to express the "real" side of me because I've been pretending to be nice and and sugary sweet torwards people (who most don't really deserve it.) People are almost always going to point out the little things wrong with me. They always try their hardest to figure out what's wrong with me and absolutely love to put me through guilt traps.

These are the people who I'd like to call as being persistent. They will never give up on trying to bring others down and it really makes me want to strangle them. Oh, but no I can't do that. In reality, I just have to bare my teeth and play along with them, as if my feelings aren't affected by it. I'm not a confronational person myself nor do I like being confronted. It's worse when people actually confront you in a hostile manner and pester you with questions about things like quietness or other personal flaws. I don't understand what motivates these certain kinds of people to do this to others. There's no need to be hostile to someone who hasn't even done anything to you. I wish there were times like those where I could snap out of being the "nice girl", and instead be an impudent **** back to them. I'm really not going to stand there while the other person has to have their first/last word on everything.

Last edited:

worrywort

These are the people who I'd like to call as being persistent.

Ah yea, I've come across a few people like this too. They're the worst. The bullies. The ones that seem to thrive on making you squirm. Yea, I think you're right, it's this idea of persistence that makes these people even scarier. One off encounters you might be able to handle, but when you're faced with the prospect of having to encounter this person every day for an indefinite amount of time into the future, it's like the fear gets magnified! urgh!

Yea I don't know why some people act this way either.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I used to be terrified of women. Now its flip flopped and Im nervous around other guys. One of my professors really puts me on edge, and I think he can tell something is wrong because hes started acting funny too. Which makes me act even more awkward...

haha yea I can relate to the awkward thing too

Kiwong

I fear adolescents, I have sympathy for what they are going through. I didn't like being one, and they still scare the crap out of me, brings such horrible memories of my high school days. I like their ugly parents that live vicariously through them even less.

Among the people I was afraid of / anxious around :

• My teachers: I've basically always treated them like god, I still have that mentality that even if I slightly mess around with them, they might screw my results around. This of course is paranoïa.

• Handicapped people: I always avoid making eye contact or staring at them because I don't want them to feel ill at ease.

• Police: Same thing, especially in this police state of a country, everything is arbitrary here...

• Foreigners and girls: For the same reasons as you FountainandFairfax, I don't want my anxiety to be misread as racism or sexism.

These past months I've been doing well, so it doesn't really apply anymore.
I don't give a toss about anything now.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Among the people I was afraid of / anxious around :

• My teachers: I've basically always treated them like god, I still have that mentality that even if I slightly mess around with them, they might screw my results around. This of course is paranoïa.

• Handicapped people: I always avoid making eye contact or staring at them because I don't want them to feel ill at ease.

• Police: Same thing, especially in this police state of a country, everything is arbitrary here...

• Foreigners and girls: For the same reasons as you FountainandFairfax, I don't want my anxiety to be misread as racism or sexism.

These past months I've been doing well, so it doesn't really apply anymore.
I don't give a toss about anything now.

All of the above for me. Yes, even fellow disabled/handicapped people, despite being one myself. Ironic, huh?

SpaceTime

Groups of teenagers scare the hell out of me, due to relentless bullying at school, even though that was decades ago. Even now if I hear kids laughing it makes my heart pound as I assume they're poking fun at me behind my back. :sad: