Escapism

April72

To be honest, life sucks. I still don't know if I am moré avoidant because of my social inadecuency or because I never liked the reality in the way it is. I don't know what was first.
Since I was a child, then in adolescence moré often, I used to do day dreaming a lot. Now, it's rare I do it.
Now, what I usually do is using the internet or eating. But, my favourite way of escapism is sleeping.
The problem is that you end up emptier than before.

I was wondering what ways of escape from reality do you practice?

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
When ah was a wee lad, drawin' cartoons used tae ma escapism. But ah don't do that now, sadly.

• Daydreaming
  • Reading
  • Playin' ma guitar for a few hours
  • Drifting off tae sleep while listening tae relaxin' ambient music... Utter bliss!
  • The internet
  • Watchin' ma favourite movies or TV shows

Internet, books, games, smoking, drugs (yeah sorry for the anti druggo's), making music, drinking coffee, xanax or calming pills, talkin to people, daydreaming, showering, sleeping...

thats it i guess...but i'm an airhead so probably a lot more :giggle:

Rawz

Day dreaming, music, internet, video games, movies, TV shows, food (mostly in combination with something else), caffeine.

Sacrament

It's okay to escape from things to a certain level. It's okay to listen to music after a long day, to browse the internet, to play some videogames. It's not okay when you spend most of your time trying to escape, because you're not really going anywhere that's real and palpable. The more you run, the more you risk losing yourself. If you want to make progress, you have to accept your current reality, and start from there. Any step you take from then on, is progress.

I escape TO reality by going into nature away from people and noise. The human constructed world is far from reality.

April72

It's okay to escape from things to a certain level. It's okay to listen to music after a long day, to browse the internet, to play some videogames. It's not okay when you spend most of your time trying to escape, because you're not really going anywhere that's real and palpable. The more you run, the more you risk losing yourself. If you want to make progress, you have to accept your current reality, and start from there. Any step you take from then on, is progress.

Thank you, Sacrament. I needed your words.

S_Spartan

I always thought it was strange that if you are a workaholic and escape reality through work, people will praise you, whereas if you are an alcoholic people will pity you or hold you in contempt.
Now if you are a workaholic who also happens to be an alcoholic they will tolerate you, as long as you still produce, they may even think you are a fun person, but they may say you are a victim to your "personal demons".
Kinda funny how society guides us all into what is worthy and what is unworthy forms of escapism and also tells us how much is too much.

April72

It's fine to have some ways of escapism who help us to cope with daily problems but the wiser option is to do it moderately and choose those ways that are moré healthy for you.

What you say about workolic is right. In the end, the ones who are above is is what are looking for: work and producto e individual who can full the former individual's pockets.

Sopie123

Was using,drink,drugs and smoking but they just caused more problems now back to boring old day dreaming,dvd's,tv,internet and as previously said,walking around aimlessly.

S_Spartan

music, writing poetry, going to the gym, lifting weights, swimming, walking, stupid mindless sitcoms, occasional drink

Livemylife

I really like fantasy books, TV shows, and movies. The more supernatural creatures, the better:thumbup:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Unhealthy escapism: I'm a pathologic daydreamer (it doesn't bring me anything)

Healthy escapism: Listening to music, playing music, painting, and sports (it makes me feel better)

I find that the more I make my life interesting, the less I need to escape from it. But I make my life interesting by playing music, doing sports, travelling, learning things. Which are things that could be considered as escapism. Now I'm confused.

April72

Unhealthy escapism: I'm a pathologic daydreamer (it doesn't bring me anything)

Healthy escapism: Listening to music, playing music, painting, and sports (it makes me feel better)

I find that the more I make my life interesting, the less I need to escape from it. But I make my life interesting by playing music, doing sports, travelling, learning things. Which are things that could be considered as escapism. Now I'm confused.

No. Don't be confused: travelling, readind, learning ... are the most enriching tasks one can do.
The ideal is to dedícate something you enjoy and let you win the life, that is, your job. But, music, travelling are marvellous way to flow as well.