Does this site help you irl?

Nack

Banned
I assume the answer will be yes. But from my perspective, this site is like my house, whenever i'm in it; it makes me comfortable and happy. But when i go out into the real world, I revert back to my old self.

So? What do you think?

nopark

I think it's good to be able to interact with other people like me. It makes me feel less like a freak, and makes me dislike myself with a bit less ferocity.

But it hasn't (yet?) made a tangible difference in my real life. SPW is just a place to be open, to be myself, without social stigmatization. There are people here who offer great advice, and there are many who I admire for their ability to overcome this disorder.

So while it hasn't made a substantial difference to my day-to-day -- it has given me hope.

Last edited:

nopark

Well, I think that feeling of comfort is a good thing. It doesn't magically make us get better, but it contributes. We can come here and share ideas and be completely candid, knowing that the people on the other side of the keyboard know exactly what we're thinking. The alternative is bottling it all up and trying to deal with it yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that SPW isn't gonna make you "get better", but it's a tool you can use that'll certainly help. I look at this place like a support group. I like to compare notes. I like to get a little reassurance. But at the end of the day, I know I'm gonna have to step up and take my own life into my own hands. Maybe the comfort and help I get from this site will make that day easier.

Pink_Paula

I don't know if it helps me in real life, but coming on here and reading others experiences with SA is a great help, it's just nice to know i can come on here and talk to people who won't judge me for being different.

LadyWench

It helps me to come here and read about other people. It makes me feel and know that I'm not the only one going through this. When I can (like now), I'll come on here when I'm feeling anxious/panicky, and sometimes it will help me. If even just a little bit. I wish I could say that this website helps me in real life and helps me cope and deal with my issues. I don't think it truly does, though. At the end of the day, I'm still ****ed up. But like I said, it's nice to come here and read about and converse with other people. In the real world, I feel very alone.

Kat

It does but I still feel alone here and because of one person not completely in real life.

206Raider

Well, I think that feeling of comfort is a good thing. It doesn't magically make us get better, but it contributes. We can come here and share ideas and be completely candid, knowing that the people on the other side of the keyboard know exactly what we're thinking. The alternative is bottling it all up and trying to deal with it yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that SPW isn't gonna make you "get better", but it's a tool you can use that'll certainly help. I look at this place like a support group. I like to compare notes. I like to get a little reassurance. But at the end of the day, I know I'm gonna have to step up and take my own life into my own hands. Maybe the comfort and help I get from this site will make that day easier.

I agree with this...if anyone thinks they will completely get rid of SA then they'll never be happy, everybody gets anxious from time to time, we just have to take what we learn from here and apply it to the outside. You'll never find the secret answer to all your problems on here but it's a safe place to talk.

philly2bits

I feel it has helped. It's good to know people go through the same experiences and to read advice on how to overcome problems. But in the end it is just a site, and I feel like I should be doing more.

Emily_G

I think forums hinder me for real life. I don't have much contact with "real people" ( you know what I mean) so when I do talk to someone I know, I get really nervous and self concious about my stuttering. If I talked to people more often...maybe this wouldnt happen as much.