Does sex provide you any relief from Anxiety/Depression

• Yes

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Can't say !

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
No, or at least it's very temporary. It has just about the same effect as eating an ice cream sundae, or a chocolate bar, at least in terms of how long the effect lasts.

mixedupgirl

I do think it provides you with temporary relief, helps take your mind away from all your problems and takes you to a much better place....for me it does anyway :)

sullyS25

It may provide relief for like 10 minutes but in the end, using sex to relieve anxiety is just temporary and i dont count on it as a reliable "treatment"

twiggle

I find the act itself very enjoyable and yes, it does feel relieving....
... but the worrying about being pregnant (despite using protection) just brings on more anxiety for the next couple of weeks :p

^ And I agree with sully, it's only a temporary relief.

this_portrait

No. I know orgasms can relieve stress (temporarily at least), but when it comes to long-term problems with anxiety and depression, it does nil.

mikebird

Banned
Well, it's very good for the soul, and your partner.

When you don't get it, it's not necessary. It's not an addiction until it's a habit in your lifestyle. It can be possible to live without it and look after yourself.

Physical exertion is a partial replacement - getting exhausted

KiaKaha

Banned
Yeah, it does... thanks for asking.

Regular sex has been proven to alleviate stress anxiety and depression, improve self esteem, increase feelings of intimacy, increase immunity, heart health and better sleep.

As well as being a great cardio workout - sex burns a lot of calories.

I say - more sex, better health benefits - temporary relief my ass - sex has long term, long standing benefits.

Last edited:

catrin87

depends who you're having the sex with! if it is someone you love and who cares about you then it is great but if its with the wrong person then it can wreak havoc with your self esteem and make you feel like sh*t

mixedupgirl

I read a study somewhere (and now I'm unable to locate the source) that indicated regular climactic sex can cause depression. It has something to do with the surge of dopamine on climax, afterwards you can experience a comedown similar to the aftermath of stimulants that aggravate dopaminergic activity.

I think that study is very wrong. Maybe some people have a comedown afterwards but if that were true, who would wanna have sex if they felt depressed after......sex is one of the best things to do and I've never experienced any kinda comedown from it. ;)

MollyBeGood

hmm I think It does provide relief in the context of a loving relationship. I have been much less depressed but also I need it all the time now b/c it does relieve my symptoms so well.
When I don't get it now, everyday, I get sad. Just recently I requested more frequency due to feeling low when I am not getting it. So yeah I need it all the time.

coyote

Yeah, it does... thanks for asking.

Regular sex has been proven to alleviate stress anxiety and depression, improve self esteem, increase feelings of intimacy, increase immunity, heart health and better sleep.

As well as being a great cardio workout - sex burns a lot of calories.

I say - more sex, better health benefits - temporary relief my ass - sex has long term, long standing benefits.

i agree completely :thumbup:

GraybeardGhost

I read a study somewhere (and now I'm unable to locate the source) that indicated regular climactic sex can cause depression. It has something to do with the surge of dopamine on climax, afterwards you can experience a comedown similar to the aftermath of stimulants that aggravate dopaminergic activity.
I think that study is very wrong. Maybe some people have a comedown afterwards but if that were true, who would wanna have sex if they felt depressed after......sex is one of the best things to do and I've never experienced any kinda comedown from it. ;)

I'm one of those people who experience a letdown after sex. Just about every time, I'm immediately struck by a huge wave of depression/guilt/self-loathing that lasts up to an hour or more. It completely ruins the moment. I've been around the block enough times to know what's waiting around the corner. No thanks. I'd rather just stay home.

ForWantOf

In theory, it is correct. Sex does increase dopamine activity and releases several "uppers" into your brain. It's a drug, and it can be addictive. As with all drugs, the extent to which they are damaging depends much on the individual. There are social smokers, and there are those with a violent dependance on cigarettes.

How the euphoria is perceived by the brain is also contingent on who your partner is and if you have one at all. The social element of sex with a partner strengthens our higher-developed emotional brain, the part of our brain with the capacity for love, compassion, empathy, sympathy, etc.. Conversely, sex on your own strengthens the reptilian brain, the part of our brain which houses our undeveloped primal urges, as the emotional element is removed and replaced completely with gratification.

EDIT: And that's what I get for not reading the whole topic. Everything I said was iterated in someone else's post with a source provided.

Last edited: