Does life get any easier?

squidgee

I'm always told that being an adult in the real world is more difficult than any other stage in your life, though I'm having a hard time as it is as a high school student. It would really suck if life only got worse from here on. I mean as an adult, you have to worry about financial situations and such, but on the other hand, teenagers are underdeveloped and the smallest problems can seem overwhelming and momentous. What do you people think? Were your teenage years harder or easier than now?

Lonely_Writer

My teenage years were definitely hard, but I wouldn't change any part of it. It taught me a lot and made me into the adult I am today. Enjoy the experience! :)

IntheLabyrinth

Some things get easier, while other things get harder. e.g. making friends has certainly gotten harder, but dealing my SA has gotten a tad bit easier. However, I think each individual's situation is different so I guess it can go either way. I wish I could just lie, and tell you it will all get easier.

Some things get easier, while other things get harder. e.g. making friends has certainly gotten harder, but dealing my SA has gotten a tad bit easier. However, I think each individual's situation is different so I guess it can go either way. I wish I could just lie, and tell you it will all get easier.

^Pretty much this.

It really depends. It gets easier in the sense that you have more freedom (although some would argue otherwise :p ), but also have much, MUCH more responsibility, even being single. Yes, the high school attitude is gone (though some seem to be forever stuck at a teenage maturity level), but people just find other ways to judge, compare and compete with you.

I guess it depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist ;)

My teenage years were harder in the sense that I had to do certain things adults told me to do, and I had to play by the rules of high school. But now that I'm an adult, although I have more freedom of choice, ultimately I'm still conforming to standards and now I have to really worry about money, relationships, etc. It's easier on my SA though (although it can be easy to regress too, if you hide away since you're not forced to interact with others as much - depending).

Last edited:

Marc7

it easy or hard depending if you face your social anxiety and don't have depression and don't procrastinate to work,chores, etc or get into college.

squidgee

Yeah, procrastination is something I really need to take care of, and I have no idea what university I want to go to, let alone what to study at uni.

I'm just trying to picture myself ten years from now but I have no idea what sort of person I'll be, whether I'll still have my SA, what hardships I'll face, what occupation will I have, that kinda thing. Hopefully my adulthood will be better than the past four years or so.

Thanks for all the responses.

WishingICould

I think it gets harder. You have more responsibilities when you're an adult and you can't rely on other people to do things for you anymore. It's ten times as hard if you have social anxiety. For example, i can't just pick up the phone and ask people how they are or look for another job because i'm terrified of using the phone and saying something stupid or that people won't want to hear from me.

Flanscho

The bad is:
- I'm a bit stuck in my job. I'd like to improve faster, but I can't just quit the job and go back to the university, since, despite the university being free, I'd have to pay my bills

The good is:
- I'm independent
- my social problems got weaker over the years

The important point is being independent though, at least for me it is. Coming home after work, I can do what I want. Nobody tells me anything. I can buy what I want, spend my vacation where I want, nobody meddling.

PGT

Not sure about easier, you just swap one set of problems for another. When your younger you have stress from school and exams. You have the social issues and peer pressure to act and live a certain way. When you get older its more like can I get a job, can I keep it. Can I pay the bills.
This is all part of life nothing you can really do about it other than to try and appreciate and enjoy the good times.

Marc7

Yeah, procrastination is something I really need to take care of, and I have no idea what university I want to go to, let alone what to study at uni.

I'm just trying to picture myself ten years from now but I have no idea what sort of person I'll be, whether I'll still have my SA, what hardships I'll face, what occupation will I have, that kinda thing. Hopefully my adulthood will be better than the past four years or so.

Thanks for all the responses.

Yea i hope it does to but then again i want mine to too

All I know is when I was in highschool someone told me to "enjoy this time while it lasts. School is the best time of life."
I thought what!? your kidding right?
Now I am much older, I see exactly what that person meant. All though I hated school, I would give anything to go back to that time. The stress and responsiblity of being an adult is a thousand times worse compared to your time in school and still living at home imo.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I think the reason why it gets better is basically because you grow old and you learn. And I think the more you experience, good or bad, the more you learn, and the more you learn, the easier it gets.

squidgee

All I know is when I was in highschool someone told me to "enjoy this time while it lasts. School is the best time of life."
I thought what!? your kidding right?
Now I am much older, I see exactly what that person meant. All though I hated school, I would give anything to go back to that time. The stress and responsiblity of being an adult is a thousand times worse compared to your time in school and still living at home imo.

My exact reaction as well. But I still doubt that high school is the BEST time of your life. My opinion might change when I get older though, only time will tell.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
My exact reaction as well. But I still doubt that high school is the BEST time of your life. My opinion might change when I get older though, only time will tell.

Well in my case time HAS passed (not that much, but yet) and I can tell you it was the worst time of my life. Nothing specific happened to me in high school though. It was just unbelievably depressing. I guess it's different for everyone.

Kiwong

My time is now. I'm currently living through a time that I have to say is one of the best of my life, all the time wondering what is around the corner to flatten me.

Life suddenly got better for me five years ago now. I never saw it coming. I never the saw the times of panic attacks, knee pain, social anxiety and haemochromatosis coming either.

I've give up knowing what to expect, but it's not always bad.

Last edited: