Does anyone here dread B'days ??

Bama_Heath

I think the last time I actually looked forward to a B-day was the turning 21 milestone. I always didn't like them in general though because I don't like to be the complete center of attention which makes me experience anxiety. Since 21 I find myself getting more and more depressed with each passing year. Maybe because I'm having to face my own mortality. The weird thing though is that if someone didn't let me know the other day that my B'day was coming up I think I would have completely forgotten about it. So I guess I've gone from dreading them to trying to avoid and not even think about them.

lonely_drummer

yup, i dread them too. i try to completely avoid them, actually this last birthday i was living on res at school and i locked myself in my room for the entire day so no one would wish me a happy birthday or sing that dreaded song. i cant stand the attention either

yes, birthdays suck.

Who wants to celebrate the fact that they're getting older and closer to death?

it never made sense to me

ABunkerHere

Yeah, I can't stand them anymore. The last one I cared about was 18, because I could vote and buy lottery tickets. Haha. Since then though, I've hated my birthday because it reminds me that yet another year has passed with me doing very little. Incidentally, New Year's Day is the same way for me. I hate it.

SickCycleCarousel

I can definitely relate. I'll be 26 next month. I keep thinking, 'four years closer to 30.'
All the people I knew in school are having kids and getting married. I'm glad I'm not tied down and all, but I wish I would have done a little bit more with my life by now.

...Incidentally, New Year's Day is the same way for me. I hate it.

I hate New Years day, too!

awkwardamanda

Yeah, birthdays suck. I think I was 12 when I stopped having birthday parties. I never told anyone this, but the real reason why is that I didn't have anyone to invite. A couple of people, but not enough for a party. Also, I never really want much. People ask what I want for my birthday and I usually don't know. It's the same story at Christmas. I might want a couple of small things, but usually my mom has to ask "Don't you want anything big?" Most of the time, I don't. So then I just feel bad since people don't know what to get me. Some people get way too excited about their birthdays. Ooh yay! Celebration!:rolleyes: I don't get what the big deal is.

jaypee06

yea since about my 18th i haven't really enjoyed them... my 23rd's actually coming up this saturday :/ funny though cos i've been thinking im already 23 since about december...

i usually just hope that the day goes by like a normal day and that i dont expect too much

SickCycleCarousel

I still get excited - I have to admit - when my b-day comes around. I mean, it's an excuse to have cake and ice cream at the same time. :D teehee

I have always hated accepting gifts - it embarrasses me to point where I want to crawl under a rock...

I still don't like getting older. =\

Emily_G

I don't really dread them....but it seems each birthday from 21 on people give me crap for not drinking.....really annoying...

Illusions

I still look forward to my birthday. Then again, I'm only 18 (19 this year), and I still feel pretty young. I suppose I might begin to dread them once I've turned 21?

Elfon

Usually all my birthdays were ok. However my 19 birthday I spend in foreign country where I didn't know anyone, all alone sitting in a very small room in completely empty student halls. I was the first one to move in, so there was no one in the whole residence. Bottle of whiskey was keeping me company.

Nothing was done on my birthday for like more than ten years. My parents hate me too much to care for a minor thing such as my birthday.

boosh

yeah, i also get anxious over whether i'll hardly get any birthday messages on facebook. sad, i know. and it's my birthday in 2 days..

Damaged

I was actually dreading my birthday in april, because it was the first bday with agoraphobia, but i didnt let it get me down. Me and my mum set off at 7.50am to go to a theme park, went on underground trains in rush hour, waited in long ques. Was one of the best bdays ever as my mum and me were so proud of me :D

market.garden

I can't stand my birthdays. I always tell my family I don't want to do anything or get any presents, and they always say "Oh don't be silly", thinking that deep down I really want to be indulged and "celebrated".

Nothing could be further from the truth. Sounds so ungrateful, I know, but I hate being the centre of attention.

NinjaLikesToast

I can definitely relate. I'll be 26 next month. I keep thinking, 'four years closer to 30.'
All the people I knew in school are having kids and getting married. I'm glad I'm not tied down and all, but I wish I would have done a little bit more with my life by now.

I feel the same way (I'm 23) and every year I am just sort of "mehhhh" when my birthday rolls around.

talisman

Same here. I'm not looking forward to next month at all. :(