Does anyone have social anxiety due to the fact that they think they are ugly

bcsr

This is the main source of my social anxiety.

I think almost all of my anxiety was caused by poor self image due to my weight. My confidence and social skills skyrocketed after I dropped close to 100 pounds.

I find it odd that you view yourself as ugly, though. Judging by the pictures you posted, you're quite attractive. :)

vse2008

It's become more of a factor for me now that I've gained weight. I'm technically obese, but most of that weight is in my belly. I look like I'm about 7 or 8 months pregnant.

MrJones

I'm not superficial in the sense that I don't care what others look like, but I am very shallow when it comes to myself. I guess the fact that I've been made fun of all my life for my looks didn't help. I get very self conscious sometimes, body, face, hair, even clothes or whatever, I generally don't like what i look like at all.

JuiceB

It's become more of a factor for me now that I've gained weight. I'm technically obese, but most of that weight is in my belly. I look like I'm about 7 or 8 months pregnant.
Are you skinny-fat like I am? I'm tall and lanky with skinny arms and legs but my belly is very large. It's not the main source of my insecurity but it definitely adds to it.

dyingtolive

yes me too. it is probably my problem, 80% of my social anxiety comes from it. the other comes from feeling discriminated against because of other things or feeling like i dont belong there.

Waybuloo

Well I do get self conscious about my face and my head and when walking around I always want to hide and cower, especially if the wind blows. For a few years, I avoided talking to people and doing things to give myself career opportunities, due to the fact that I can't have anybody looking at my nose.

Nowadays my insecurity about my appearance is the least of my problems, and ironically has gone to the back of my head.

psych

Somewhat, yes.
If I'm breaking out, which is not as much of an issue as it used to be.... But, my skin is part of my problem.
I feel I have residual effects from when I was younger and suffered with actual cysts. The cruelty I was treated with comes back to haunt me a lot.

Foxface

If I moved. I would be outside like everyday, walking the trails and swimming in the lake and stuff, all clothesfree. I want it!

weberriver

Yes, that's a big part of it. Not so much when I was younger, but definitely now. Funny thing is, I never thought of myself as all that unattractive until a friend told me about this guy in school who thought I was "sooo ugly." My friend had told me this just so she could brag that she had stuck up for me, but I would have been so much better off not knowing. ::(:

Richey

My biggest issue is feeling awkward physically. Not really having much sense of how i look without a mirror in front of me showing me. I probably look fine but i don't feel it.

Yes, well, its not really because of ugliness, i don't think many people are actually ugly at all, its more feeling ordinary/generic that bothers me which comes down to lack of clear identity in style, i admire people who dress in "punk" or "expensive" clothes, because it gives them their own character. Tall or Good looking people do have advantages, whether its boosted confidence, praise from people, job promotion, practicality, being asked out on dates, more friends etc..

its difficult though, go to the shops and people are wearing tight/trendy clothers, have swagger, look confident, it's hard not to compare. I just wear basic clothers. Black jeans, straight cut, cool t-shirt, maybe a shirt or plain winter jumper, a basic style that was apparent even 10-15 years ago. In the last 4 years i haven't looked as toned either, still skinny but a bit sluggish since moving home and being offered sweet foods all the time from people, luckily i do exercise a bit.

i'd say being really short in high school didn't help me at all, made me the easy target for bullying types which effected my progress at high school, when you feel down you can't study properly, you just want to have a couple of friends, and when you don't that really consumes you. then once i finished high school i grew taller.

i can see why feeling ordinary/ugly has majorly effected the SA influence. especially having to leave the house and feeling physically insecure.

I went to the shops the other day and the retail floor are always super bubbly and trendy looking, its like they are hand picked from the upper middle/upper class "must look a certain way" society.

look at tv, only good looking people are picked for roles in tv shows, even depicted nerds are trendy/lookers made to look geeky.

Last edited: