Does anyone have social anxiety due to the fact that they think they are ugly

man on the hill

I dont really consider myself "ugly", but for some reason im never actually happy with myself when ever I look in a mirror or see my reflection in a window or door as im walking by. I guess I just have a inferiority complex from years of being shy and backwards acting and avoiding most social situations. I mean, I hear people say im a nice looking man but honestly I dont get it ::eek::

Attachments

• Photo06220158.jpg
    Photo06220158.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0

Blandy

This is the main source of my social anxiety.

Yh its called body dysmorphia and its heavily linked with socialphobia, i suffer from it, i think that if i felt happy with how i looked i wouldnt have social anxiety atall because i would feel confident and i woudnt have a low self esteem.

Just for the record ur not ugly atall, u look lovely. But if ur anything like me, u wont be able to accept compliments lol

coyote

It does if you listen to the media too much.

I have some muscles, but because I'm not a ripping six-pack surfer guy, that's not ideal. I would feel extremely ugly if I listened to that too much.

this is why i highly recommend throwing your television out the window

NOTICE: before taking the aforementioned suggested action, please check below your window for any passing pedestrians so as no to incur any injuries. please also check your local littering and/or garbage collection ordinances, as discarding televisions may be in violation.

(the website legal team requested that i post that disclaimer, thanks)

Silatuyok

I dont really consider myself "ugly", but for some reason im never actually happy with myself when ever I look in a mirror or see my reflection in a window or door as im walking by. I guess I just have a inferiority complex from years of being shy and backwards acting and avoiding most social situations. I mean, I hear people say im a nice looking man but honestly I dont get it ::eek::

I think you look great; you have very nice features and a good build.

Nathália

You are nice looking, I'm sorry you feel that way.

this is why i highly recommend throwing your television out the window

NOTICE: before taking the aforementioned suggested action, please check below your window for any passing pedestrians so as no to incur any injuries. please also check your local littering and/or garbage collection ordinances, as discarding televisions may be in violation.

(the website legal team requested that i post that disclaimer, thanks)

You know Coyote, you are so right. You inspire me to be different!
TV, you ain't nuthing but the devil! Trying to penatrate my mind with flith!

Now, thanks to you, I'm going to burn my bra, walk the streets naked, not comb my hair and move to the middle of a forest and swing on vines. *salutes* another fallen comrade.

Now, who wants to join????*crickets* fight the powa!!!!!

coyote

Now, thanks to you, I'm going to burn my bra, walk the streets naked, not comb my hair and move to the middle of a forest and swing on vines. *salutes* another fallen comrade.

Now, who wants to join????*crickets* fight the powa!!!!!

i'm THERE!!

but i don't have any bras - can i burn some of yours?

Flowers-Of-Bloom

It does if you listen to the media too much.

I have some muscles, but because I'm not a ripping six-pack surfer guy, that's not ideal. I would feel extremely ugly if I listened to that too much.

True and that's a big part of the reason why I don't pay much attention to mainstream media. Mind you, I do watch movies and video games which still share much of the same values but there's no escaping the importance placed on looks, especially when you're female.

MikeyC

True and that's a big part of the reason why I don't pay much attention to mainstream media. Mind you, I do watch movies and video games which still share much of the same values but there's no escaping the importance placed on looks, especially when you're female.
Females definitely have it worse than males.

OceanMist

people are shallow and judgemental

Yes, this is usually very true.

And what sucks is if you tell others that you think many people are shallow and judgemental, many people will tell you that you are wrong just because it fits their fallacy of the world that includes rainbows and balloons. Most people don't want to accept in their minds that the world is such an unfair place because it gives them anxiety to accept the fact that the world is unfair in many ways.

I've noticed that even very kind people can be very judgemental.

Foxface

My social anxiety is more becuase of girls, which is one of the reasons becuase I'm ugly, rejected by first look, so I guess it's the same thing.

SHYoreoCOOKIE4U

My social anxiety is more becuase of girls, which is one of the reasons becuase I'm ugly, rejected by first look, so I guess it's the same thing.

Foxface, up until now I thought you were a girl. Please don't take offence to this.
I think its because there was a character called foxface in one of my favorite books and they were a girl.

mikebird

Banned
I think a blatant reason for social anxiety could be if not smoking tobacco.

All the advice i was given at school by official teacher seminars to avoid smoking made perfect sense to me then.

Since then, all the absolute truth has been obvious that everyone i know is a heavy smoker and achieved managerial positions, and are married with kids, with big house estates, and cars. That goes for my brothers, nieces, and friends.

I'm an uncle who has no job, stays in hospital, no partner or children.

I am stuck in a dilemma whether to smoke. The numbers seem to pay off.

Was the 'don't smoke' propaganda rooted in strange, alterior tactics and marketing, to generate us, the losers, with no confidence?

It adds to my lack of self-confidence. Also if someone seems to not like me romantically I tend to automatically assume it's because of my looks.

cowboyup

Yes, very much so.
Sometimes I think I look half way decent to go for example, grocery store, and I get glimpse of myself in mirror or window reflection and can't believe I went out "looking like that - how ugly"

Labyrinthine

I wouldn't say it's the only factor, but my weight is definitely a contributor. I've been on and off anorexic since 7.

I realize I'm curvy, but I'm in a sport where everyone is so skinny. I'm embarrassed to be seen around them sometimes when I know I just look so much bigger. Makes it hard for me to talk to people when I get in that mind set, too. Especially since I've heard some people make comments about me sometimes in regards to the fact I should lose weight if I expect to actually do well in my sport.